Sign in to follow this  
anthony_d

X Plane Real Weather Turbulence

Let me lead off by saying I am not suggesting this to stop people from complaining about this here on the forums - it is important that potential customers see the shortcomings of a product and understand what's going on. But, without formally submitted bug reports, Laminar Research can and probably will simply ignore forum chatter about this issue and not spend any time trying to fix it.Submit a bug report here regarding the over-active turbulence (*and any other issue you wish to have addressed in XP10) . If everyone who has had an issue with it submits a report, maybe... just maybe... they'll take action. Don't expect your friend or neighbor to submit one for you... do it yourself. Strength in numbers. Better to report the issue and draw that much more attention to it than our discussions here.Again - not trying to deflect the conversation away from here, but imploring people to submit bug reports.-Greg

Greg, maybe we should have a "Occupy Xplane" demonstration. Think anyone would notice? :smile:Gleneidt:Bug report filed.

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Greg, maybe we should have a "Occupy Xplane" demonstration. Think anyone would notice?
"We are the 99 percent"? :(

is a WindShear demonstration on a Level D Sim. And that's what we get almost always when flying in X-Plane with real weather. What's considered a dangerous situation in real life is just routine in X-Plane!

Alexis Mefano

Being new to X-Plane, I somewhat foolishly turned on real weather. I was flying the Carenado Bonanza, at around 2000ft, on a route that I've flown many times RW. The winds were around 20kts according to xp. Looking out the window at home, conditions were what I'd describe as 'a bit choppy, but flyable'. Ie, you'd be bounced around a bit and probably want to grab hold of the coming from time to time, but you'd be unlikely to hit your head on the roof. Pitch roll & yaw probably no more than 20 degrees in the warrior. The bonanza, being heavier, I'd expect less.Within seconds of turning on real weather, I'd done a wingover!What I was experiencing was turbulence severe enough to endanger the safety if the aircraft. If Laminar think that is realistic to RW, I can recommend some aviation met courses...

I sent LR a bug report about this. If everyone does the same, I think they will reconsider this

Alexis Mefano

I just tried a couple of flights with the 10.04 Beta 1, and there doesn't appear to be any improvement to the turbulence problem. Both flights were with very nice payware aircraft and ended in "over g" situations, and the weather was nowhere near bad enough to have created these issues. There needs to be some way to tame this turbulence down when using real weather. I was watching the weather data (data output), and the turbulence was jumping erratically all over the place, .05 to .3+, and when it got that high it would kick out the aircrafts AP, and within seconds the "over g" box appears and the flight was over. It wasn't like the aircraft went into a steep dive, it just said over g and that was the end.If the "real world" turbulence was anything like what we have in XPX right now, the whole aviation industry would be shutdown. You wouldn't be able to fly in anything but near perfect weather. Please tame down the turbulence.Glen
I sure would like to be able to download the real weather, and keep the cloud and visibility settings, then move to a "modify" option, so I could manually set turbulence and wind as needed. Flying the Aleutian islands with real wx so far in XPX has been nearly impossible, given the turbulence issues.Could such a "workaround"/"option" be possible...i.e, let me keep the clouds and vis, but ignore wind and turb via a button option?Edit: sent a bug report with suggested workarounds :)BillKGYH Edited by wcschulz3

Edit: sent a bug report with suggested workarounds :)
Good man Bill, this "problem" needs to addressed, before a lot of other things, as far as I'm concerned. What do the other problems matter, if you can't fly to begin with.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

sounds very "plausible" to me. BTW: plausibilis = latin = "worthy of applause".so do we applaude xplane 10b4r1 yet?

It's a start, from a thread over at the "org".

I received many bug reports about turbulence this week. Austin responded by making some tweaks which will be in the future 10.04Beta2. When it's released it should be a step in the right direction though I haven't had a chance to try it myself.
http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=56826Glen

It would be useful also that if having downloaded the weather you go back to same weather world coverage and it maintains the downloaded weather. At least if it did that you could then manually turn the turbulence down.Actually thinking about it, maybe it would be better to have that option anyway even after the turbulence issues are fixed.

and it was like that 1/2 a decade ago in FSX.
Actually, it wasn't and isn't. Real world weather in FSX is not adjustable.