Sign in to follow this  
anthony_d

X Plane Real Weather Turbulence

Actually, it wasn't and isn't. Real world weather in FSX is not adjustable.
Turbulence is adjustable in FSX even when using real weather as a source and has been since at least SP1 if not earlier.

Cheers, Andy.

Turbulence is adjustable in FSX even when using real weather as a source and has been since at least SP1 if not earlier.
Could you show me where? I just fired it up a few minutes ago. Under real world weather, as far as I can see, nothing is adjustable.Here are the weather settings I have. I cannot see anything adjustable under real world weather download. Customize is greyed out under real world weather.weatherp.png302201290811am.png

Actually it's in the FSUIPC4.ini, I was forgetting where I adjusted it all those years ago, but it certainly is adjustable with FSUIPC and through various versions of ActiveSky too. You can turn turbulence off entirely from within FSX itself, I can never remember where the option is in FSX though, it's somewhere not so obvious.

Cheers, Andy.

Ok, that makes sense then. I know you can do it through FSUIPC. But we're talking 3rd party payware then. I'm not so sure about ActiveSky, but I only have Activesky X and haven't really done much on that except let it download weather and run.

So in other words FSX has not got this feature, it's been supplied by 3rd party payware. You know when they compare FSX I just wonder how much of what they compare is actually 3rd party stuff and not an integral part of FSX at all.

Ok, I just loaded up XP10 and tried to duplicate severe wind and turbulence on the ground to get the aircraft to be pushed around the runway. I have the settings as pictured below and STILL cannot get the aircraft to slide anywhere. It bobs up and down a little, but it looks no different than it does in rw wind. This is 40kt winds (I remember people saying they were getting runway slide with 20kt winds, so I doubled it) with turbulence maxed out. I tried it on the default Cessna 172 and my Duchess. Neither of them moved at all. If I am missing something, please let me know. The winds were set to come from the north while I was facing East. Airfield elevation is just over 1000 ft ASL and I set winds at 1000 ft. If everything here checks out, then my earlier assumption was correct. It's down to a fault in the aircraft and the developer of the aircraft. I don't actually have the F33 so I can't check it, but I'm only guessing that there is a problem with the flight model.302201250412pm.png

Various good points have been raised throughout this thread. Simulation engines are built on science, and not necessarily "feel" or guessing. I have flown weight shift microlights and with friends in various light aircraft, and know how choppy things can get. Demonstrating to Austin that turbulence is overexaggerated will require more than a few clever words an emotionally charged sweeping statements. As has been pointed out, some aircraft are created more equal than others. Default aircraft may not be the benchmark in realism for any off the shelf simulator, unless it is a study sim. One will have to demonstrate that the X-Plane aircraft is indeed worthy of displaying similar performance traits as would the real one. Unfortunately, small parameters in an acf file could have a big impact (exponentially so) when testing it in turbulence in X-Plane. If someone has the time and inclination, it would help setting up a few tests with different aircraft in different turbulance conditions, then somehow relate and compare the results with real life conditions and submit a paper/report to Austin. If he finds that he is wrong, there is a good chance that it may get fixed. Take three pilots flying in the same conditions; each of them may have a different recollection or opinion of those conditions, and getting them to agree on the feel of turbulence in a sim could prove to be a difficult task. Numbers don't lie, but they need to be held in context.

GoranM, which version of XPlane are you using? Things have improved with the latest version (1.04 Beta 1), planes with parking brakes applied are much more stable on the ground now. It is said that the exaggerated effects of turbulences will be toned down with 04 Beta 2 as well, so there is light at the end of the tunnel...

GoranM, in FSX you can first download REAL WEATHER, then you select User Defined Weather and CUSTOMIZE and now you can change the downloaded weather anyway you want.

Edited by Bartbear

GoranM, which version of XPlane are you using? Things have improved with the latest version (1.04 Beta 1), planes with parking brakes applied are much more stable on the ground now. It is said that the exaggerated effects of turbulences will be toned down with 04 Beta 2 as well, so there is light at the end of the tunnel...
I have 10.04. So probably fixed.
GoranM, in FSX you can first download REAL WEATHER, then you select User Defined Weather and CUSTOMIZE and now you can change the downloaded weather anyway you want.
Then XP9 can do it that way as well. I don't think XP10 can do it, but XP9 definitely can.But in saying that, what's the point in downloading real weather and then customizing it? Why not just customize it from the get-go?

Guys, I can see and understand both sides of this discussion. I do have the F33, and have to admit, that is where the "sliding" on the ground was noticed the most.I have a excellent solution though.Put a slider somewhere so the PAYING CUSTOMER / END USER can decide whether they want to have turbulence or not. Just like we used to have with clouds (3 sliders / totally adjustable).Why does my Xplane experience always have to be used / adjusted / manipulated by what Austen wants, and not by what I / we want. This "concept" that "HE" will give us what we need, is really getting tiring, and quite honestly, I'm getting sick of it.I for one, do not drink his coolaid. Rant over.Glen

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Why does my Xplane experience always have to be used / adjusted / manipulated by what Austen wants, and not by what I / we want. This "concept" that "HE" will give us what we need, is really getting tiring, and quite honestly, I'm getting sick of it.
Because agree or not, it is his program, his company and as head cook , dishwasher, and waiter, he can pretty much do what he wants. :(

Because agree or not, it is his program, his company and as head cook , dishwasher, and waiter, he can pretty much do what he wants.
I hear ya Don, and he does, unfortunately. Well, he won't be seeing anymore of my money (I know, no great loss), I don't like what he has on the menu. My steak arrived too cold, and it's taking too long to heat it up. When I pay for a meal, I expect it to be worthy of payment.....enough said.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro