Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anthony_d

X Plane Real Weather Turbulence

Yes I've seen my planes slowly about rotate their axis on the ground. It's almost like the lateral friction coeffient for the wheels is very small. Some planes can also be quite hard to steer above 20knots ground speed as well. Probably the same problem.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Carenado F33 on the apron. Winds: 12 mph. Parking brakes set, engines not running.The wind turns the plane slowly around its axis.That's just ridiculous. They HAVE to fix that (and I have been told the F33 is one of the most well behaved planes in XPlane when it coes to turbulences).
I have that also. Insanely annoying. Is there any official acknowledgement of this problem or is it supposed to be like this?

"So it is entirely possible that it is the developers fault for the aircraft to be so bumpy when hit with turbulence."I am tired of hearing it is the aircraft developers fault. after all, since x-plane's default aircraft exhibit this annoying bug, whose fault is it then? lets blame it again on the stupid users who need to adjust their joystick or some such. :Monkey:give me a parking-brake. even FLIGHT is much better in this aspect than x-plane featuring the world's best flight model :( . x-plane's behaviour in turbulence is anything but realistic, it is rather simulating wake turbulence which we all know must be avoided because it can and has killed pilots. talk about 'FAA-approved' simulator. stop playing with those iPad versions and Linux, and fix this, Mr. Exlaminator!

fly_like_an_eagle : Can't agree with you more.After 10 versions over a two decade span of X-plane's Blade Element Theory based flight model, one would think that Laminar would have a pretty good handle on the flight model and can come up with JUST ONE OR TWO AIRCRAFT that be the showcase aircraft just as LOWI was to scenery in v8/v9 !Can Laminar do that in X-plane v10 ?I am sure that's a tall order for Laminar since they can't even deliver what they hyped and promised, let alone delivering more than promised !Don't blame the users' for Laminar's shortcomings. Laminar should face upto them and take full responsibility for the inadequacy and premature release of X-plane v10 as it exists today AND FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE !

I just went into XPX and tested that.I switched the engine off as noted and starting at a direct xwind of 20kts it was rock solid, went up to 30 kts still not moving. Finally at 40kts it started to slowly blow the aircraft around at the tail. This was in 10.03rc2. That is a little different from your results. What was it you said " turning around on it's axis in a 12 mph wind". Hmmm[edit]Just went back and ran the test again. At a 40kt wind it weather vaned into the wind then stopped moving with the brakes holding it.

Carenado F33 on the apron. Winds: 12 mph. Parking brakes set, engines not running.The wind turns the plane slowly around its axis.That's just ridiculous. They HAVE to fix that (and I have been told the F33 is one of the most well behaved planes in XPlane when it coes to turbulences).

I keep the wind in mine at least 12 to 15 knots all the time. No problems, especially with the F33A.

Interesting-here is a video of what I see-holding correct aileron into the wind seems to have no effect:

Get the winds into the twenties and not only is this worse but the control of the aircraft is way too difficult.

this is what we needed: proof, not claims or plain allegations.if only XPX's flight model were at least up to FLIGHT's.so much for 'realistic' bleeding elements theory versus lookup table based flight modelling.thanks for sharing.

Well to be fair there is a lot about xplane's flight model and blade element that makes it superior also (like landing the plane imho-a rather important phase! :) )

crashing in mid flight caused by real world weather turbulence, coming out of the blue/grey. I don't even get to land.once back on the ground, I always look forward to the nightmare of taxiing to the hangar. a symphony of stall sounds accompanied by screetching tires at low walking speeds. go figure.perhaps I should switch to space shuttle flying: no turbulence, no icing, always VFR conditions and clear skies in space.I am sure we can all agree the space shuttle features a truly realistic flight model :(

fly_like_an_eagleHave you submitted a bug report to xplane 10 about this ??

this is what we needed: proof, not claims or plain allegations.if only XPX's flight model were at least up to FLIGHT's.so much for 'realistic' bleeding elements theory versus lookup table based flight modelling.thanks for sharing.

so much for 'realistic' bleeding elements theory versus lookup table based flight modelling.
Ground behaviour during crosswinds and turbulence modeling have _nothing_ to do with the blade element theory.Marco

"Have you submitted a bug report to xplane 10 about this ??"nope, what for? have you? I am not part of the XPX beta team. and after all those years I am too frustated."Ground behaviour during crosswinds and turbulence modeling have _nothing_ to do with the blade element theory."bleeding elements theory has more to do with sarcasm.besidesthe Exlaminator is well aware.but he doesn't care.oh yeah

"Have you submitted a bug report to xplane 10 about this ??"nope, what for? have you? I am not part of the XPX beta team. and after all those years I am too frustated."Ground behaviour during crosswinds and turbulence modeling have _nothing_ to do with the blade element theory."bleeding elements theory has more to do with sarcasm.besidesthe Exlaminator is well aware.but he doesn't care.oh yeah
Seems we have established you are a troll.

"we" have decided to leave, since I don't participate in insulting threads
Sorry to call you a troll but i can't understand if you are frustrated so much about something in xplane you haven't contacted/informedthem about it.

CRFI models, and the new Activesky for XPLANE should address these issues.
How on earth are Hifi going to fix something that laminar has refused to fix for many versions of XP. Activesky for XP is but a twinkle in Damien's eye at the moment I suspect, but I am sure he doesn't want to spend another 6 years trying to fix a huge bug in yet another simulators weather engine. I'd rather he put his time and skill into depicting better weather systems that appear more realistic, perhaps reading satellite imagery to more accurately depict what is really happening around the world along with dynamic changes in weather between updates from the server based on TAF's etc.

Maybe he could hire you as his consultant seeing as you know so much about what he wants to do with his time.

How on earth are Hifi going to fix something that laminar has refused to fix for many versions of XP. Activesky for XP is but a twinkle in Damien's eye at the moment I suspect, but I am sure he doesn't want to spend another 6 years trying to fix a huge bug in yet another simulators weather engine. I'd rather he put his time and skill into depicting better weather systems that appear more realistic, perhaps reading satellite imagery to more accurately depict what is really happening around the world along with dynamic changes in weather between updates from the server based on TAF's etc.
Hifi is a business with a product.Their product is an addon to another product (FSX)That product (FSX) is no longer supported, or being marketed, etc.Hifi's product will DIE if they don't integrate with another Flight Sim Product. The logical solution is to develop for Xplane. I'm sorry that the world of business and capitalism is such a mystery to you, but anyone else can plainly see the untapped market that Xplane represents. Learning the code will take a bit of time, but developing the weather sim will be relatively easy since it is a matter of porting existing code over to the new platform.

Whoooow steady neddy where did I say anything about me not wanting Hifi to produce products for XP, why is it everyone in the X-Plane forum is so defensive and confrontational all the time, geez no wonder the world is in such a state if intelligent flight simmers cant even comprehend a simple post on a forum. Laminar are the only ones who can fix the turbulence system in XP properly, it is wrong to expect an external programmer to come along and hack into XP to fix it when Laminar could do it far more efficiently than Hifi could. I want Activesky for XP probably more than anyone else here does, I've been waiting to beta test such a product for many years, hint hint Jason, look at my signature and thank you for the witty and insightful retort.

This statement makes me think you think otherwise.

Activesky for XP is but a twinkle in Damien's eye at the moment I suspect, but I am sure he doesn't want to spend another 6 years trying to fix a huge bug in yet another simulators weather engine.
This statement made me think otherwise.

geez no wonder the world is in such a state if intelligent flight simmers cant even comprehend a simple post on a forum.
Don't be such a child. The world's problems have nothing to do with your trolling or the Flight Sim community in general. Xplane vs FSX is a First world problem, in the same way "I can't hear my tv when I eat chips because they crunch loud in my mouth" is a problem.Get off your moral high horse, you're not any smarter or more intelligent then any of the people posting on here today.