Sign in to follow this  
Valcor

Low Visibility Depiction Issues AS2012

Has anyone noticed issues when flying into airports reporting severe IMC conditions? My last 2 flights have had very disappointing endings because they ended in VFR conditions. This despite both the NOAA metar and the AS2012 metar string showing OVC of a few hundred feet and Vis less than 1 mile. AS2012 had the vis more close to severe clear.This was on a flight from TNCM into EHAM and ENVA into ENGM. Once I landed, if I completely shut down AS2012 and restarted, the conditions would then depict the low ceiling and vis as they should. The Force Destination Wx Zone setting really seems not to work either. I will often be within the 128 mile zone, but still have clear skies around me even though I'm flying into an airport with overcast conditions.Again, if I start my flight at an airport with low IMC, it works perfectly correct. However, if I'm flying in from somewhere else to an airport with low IMC, the depiction is unreliable or flat out wrong.

Hi,If you're using DWC, what is your PreventFSXCloudRedraws option set to? Kostas Terzides,ActiveSky developer

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Yes, DWC is on. My prevent cloud redraws box is checked.I'll try again with it unchecked but does that option effect visibility too?

Yes, DWC is on. My prevent cloud redraws box is checked.I'll try again with it unchecked but does that option effect visibility too?
Uncheck that for sure. KATL had real bad IMC conditions yesterday and AS2012 depicted it so well I was having to use AIII mode on my HGS in the NGX.

Eric 

Ok, unchecking "Prevent cloud redraws" helped immensely with ensuring cloud cover at destination was correct.As for the visibility, I had to uncheck "visibility smoothing" to get that to match arrival metar. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Hi guys. I have the same settings as it suppose t do but I am still not getting low visibility. I mas several flights yesterday with METAR rerported 0 vis and OVC 002 or 0 vis RVR 700FT VV001 and I saw all buildings around the airport on taxi, I saw RWS from about 2-4 mils. It does not work for me right so far.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Hi guys. I have the same settings as it suppose t do but I am still not getting low visibility. I mas several flights yesterday with METAR rerported 0 vis and OVC 002 or 0 vis RVR 700FT VV001 and I saw all buildings around the airport on taxi, I saw RWS from about 2-4 mils. It does not work for me right so far.
Just to be sure, make sure your settings are as follows and use it with a AS2012 flight plan so it knows your destination: (well, this worked for me anyway)
  • DWC On
  • "Checked" Force Destination WX Zone
  • "Un-checked" Prevent Cloud Redraws
  • "Checked" Fog Layer Generation
  • "Un-checked" Enable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing

With these settings I was able to get very accurate, with accordance to the metar, low vis, overcast conditions in Oslo, San Diego and Dutch Harbour arriving from 100's of miles away.

Edited by Valcor

OK. Also could you clarify this- "use it with a AS2012 flight plan so it knows your destination". Do I have to build flight plan using AS2012 tool? I build flight plan using FS9 and just save it and then export it to AS2012. Is it a matter?Enable Visibility Graduation and Smoothing should be Un-checked (it was checked!). The manual says it must be enableded to use in DWC. If I uncheck this option, will it be still smooth transitions between surrounding stations and also vertically it should not be a matter?Last thing. Looks to me it freezes sometimes with a rate of about 1-2 seconds or so. I have pretty good machine and I think my PC should handle it easy. I don't have any issues with REX. When I fly, I use many addons active at the same time but PC won't freezes. Does AS2012 too heavy? Any suggestions on performance settings? Thanks again.

Edited by speedbird144

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”