Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

Optional FDE for the C185's (Author Bernt Stolle)

I've been trying all versions of C185 with modified (bushpounders versin) FDE for a few weeks. Reading Glenn's manual beforehand is very helpful and to be honest necessary for this airplane. I also asked Glenn too much via PM , and in fact still asking about other bushplanes ;) I found it helpful using rudder trim for high power low speed phases of flight ; takeoff and landing . In fact I used rudder trim first time in FSX with this aircraft, just assign keyboard strokes for eft, right and center trims, 4 - 5 ticks of right trim is generally very helpful for takeoffs.You really have to keep your eyes open and fly it .Thanks again to Bernt and Glenn for their outstanding work and this great aircraft.

Guest BeaverDriver

That's a good point about the rudder trim kivanck (and you're most welcome :)). It really will help, and the real thing does require a lot of "leg work". I didn't often use it RW when on floats because every time I had an external load, the amount of rudder input required would typically outweigh the amount of trim available, and the amount of trim required was always changing anyway. I developed a strong right leg with that airplane though <LOL>. In FSX I've hot keyed the trim to my yoke buttons which makes it very easy to deal with. One other short point, if you can, get a yoke AND rudder pedals for flying this airplane! It makes crosswind landings WAY easier. I'm not sure I could do them without the separate rudder controls.

Keep in mind Bernt's files are for the BUSH version. Using it on the standard version will make it better, but you may find you bounce more than usual.
Glenn, just as an FYI there are files included in the ultimate package for all versions of the 185, including the standard. It seems they have all been adjusted individually?

Guest bstolle

Yes, and the 'standard' version is the one I based all other versions on (I do like plain non-raped aircraft most, which means no tundra wheels, no floats etc.) the 'bouncy' one is the tundra wheeled version

Edited by bstolle

Guest BeaverDriver

Ahhh, ok, thanks for this :). I guess I gotta go grab that again as I do like to fly the basic version sometimes. Appreciate the head's up :).

Sorry to be such a pain. With the FDE switch I seem to have lost my flaps movement sound, no more click, as it were. All I did when installing was to move my repaints over to the new cfg.file, so nothing else was touched. Any ideas?Kind regards,

Guest BeaverDriver

That flap click sound has always been a bit "touch-and-go". Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. I don't think it's anything you did, it's just the way it is. Not much help I know, but kind of the way it's always been. You've been lucky if it's not been a problem for you before :).

That flap click sound has always been a bit "touch-and-go". Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. I don't think it's anything you did, it's just the way it is. Not much help I know, but kind of the way it's always been. You've been lucky if it's not been a problem for you before :).
Thanks for answering that Glenn. I did not hear that before (pun intended). I compared before and after cfg files without seeing anything that might cause the silent treatment.Kind regards,

Now you mention it Stephen, I hear the first part of flaps, albeit faintly, but nothing after that. I always have to glance out of the window, just to make sure.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Guest BeaverDriver

Yeah, the way I do it (here and IRL) is just count "notches". The flaps click in in 10 degree intervals. So one tug & click (or hit of the key in FS) is 10 degrees, a second is 20, third 30 and fourth 40. Typically use 20 (2 notches) for takeoff from water or snow, 30 (3 notches) for landing. If space isn't tight but the runway is gravel or grass, you can take off using 10 (1 notch). You don't very often use 40 degrees (4 notches) for landing. If the ground is very rough (off airport landing on tundras), 40 degrees can come in handy but use some power to drag it in and touch down as slow as possible.

Edited by BeaverDriver

Stupid question: I have installed the C185 bush only yesterday. What does the optional FDE improve? And would I benefit from installing it?

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times