Sign in to follow this  
Buzz313th

Optional FDE for the C185's (Author Bernt Stolle)

Guest BeaverDriver

It improves (dramatically) water handling, tundra wheels handling and skiplane operations. You get more realistic speeds and feel to the aircraft. It IS harder to fly though, especially on tundra tires, but also seaplane takeoffs - you must hold it on the water with slight forward elevator once up on the step to keep from "leaping" into the air prematurely - not quite real, but it was the only way to properly simulate the aircraft ploughing first then coming up on the step as the real thing does.

Thanks for the explanation, Glenn! Will do so and try hard to ride the C185...

IXEG 737 Beta-Tester and First Officer

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker
X-Plane 11 latedt version on a Samsung M.2 SSD for speedy loading times

Guest bstolle

The whole FDE is totally new from ground up. Realistic slips are possible with the correct RW aileron/rudder input, performance is much more according to the book etc....

Thanks Bernt, I will give it a try and assume the challange!As real as it gets!

i7 6700K@4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Palit GTX 1080 GameRock Premium@2Ghz, Oculus Rift S, ButtKicker

Guest bstolle

Just as a heads up, due to ongoing download problems from bushpounders.com I've uploaded the files (with slightly changed landing geat damping numbers on the tundra version) this morning at simviation.com and flightsim.com.Should be available shortly.

Great improvement! I really enjoy the task of flying "the Real Thing"Thanks!

i am a little late to the party, had the 185F bush pack for a while now but just found out about these new FDEs so i started flying it again

for those still taildragging with this FDE: i found a solution for the missing flaps sound. Bernt Stolles config file changed the [Flaps.0] settings. to get the Flaps click sound on all positions open the aircraft.cfg file (for each version) and change

extending-time=1

to

extending-time=2.5

with this change the flaps will move a tiny bit slower, but the flaps sound will properly play.

Mine was set to 2.0 but changing it to 2.5 definitely made the clicks a tad more discernible. Top tip. :good:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Mine was set to 2.0 but changing it to 2.5 definitely made the clicks a tad more discernible. Top tip. :good:

glad to be of help.. but i wonder why you had the default 2.0 there. are you using the aircraft.cfg files that came with bernt stolles archive, or did you just update your original aircraft.cfg files to point to the new airfiles [i.e. sim=185_tundra]?

just asking to make sure, because there are many many changes in bernts aircraft.cfg files that interact with the new air files (more indepth flap settings, weight distribution and the like)

cheers and happy taildraggin' :)

Mmm, I'll have to check. I thought I had the latest/greatest.

WOW! Talk about a workout on the pedals!!! What a difference Berndt Stolle's FDE makes to what I thought was already a great aeroplane to fly.

Don't use this upgrade unless you want to learn to sim-fly all over again! I've been simming for over 20 years and reckoned I could just about land anything anywhere, but for the first time in YEARS I've found myself practising takeoff and landings again. NOW we're beginning to feel what "as real as it gets" means.

Thanks Berndt!

SkipperMac

I installed the December 19th 2012 update. Does that give me the latest FDE?

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

nudata, on 11 May 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

I installed the December 19th 2012 update. Does that give me the latest FDE?

I'm curious which update you have there. The latest files from Bernt Stolle for the Carenado Cessna 185F (that I can find, at flightsim.com or simviation.com as he indicated in post #35, above) are dated March 9, 2012. And there has been no further update from Carenado for the C185F other than their "C185BUSHFSXPATCH1.exe" from April 20, 2010.

I think, I'm fairly certain, I have the definitive FDE. They are named stnd.air (185 normal) ski, float, amphib and tundra all from modified on the 22nd January 2011and mine were installed earlier this year. 

Can someone answer a question for me. Is the linked fde files in this thread from bernt stolle newer than the ones in Carenado's updates list on their site? Thanks ahead. This one of my all time goto planes. I also have the highest regard for bernt's changes.