Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment X

Hi,OK, I'm ready to take the next step. But for the life of me, I do not remember what gets installed first, Ultimate Terrain or Ground Environment X. If I remember correctly UT comes before GEX, anyone remember the order?.Man I hate getting old, my memory is not what it use to be. I think it was all the studying for my Extra Ham Radio License that put my brain into overload.Thanks

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

UTX first. When you install GEX it give you the option to select if you already have UTX installed, Then you pick that option.I often forget too, so dont worry yout not alone. were all getting older.. :sad:Rob

If you can successfully install both into P3D, please let me know. I'm getting a new machine and plan on installing P3D, but not FSX. In fact, I've never had FSX, so I'm relying on first hand information about what will work with P3D (without doing a lot of tinkering) and what won't.Thanks.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

If I remember correctly, I was not able to install UTX directly to P3D. the instraller insits on installing to FSX only. I suppose there is a way to install it directly by messing with the registry, but I was reluctant to go that route. I ended up re-installing FSX and installing UTX & GEX normally. Then copying all the files in the SceneryworldScenery directory (I hope I got the names right), to the same directory in Prepar3d and overwrote everything.When I loaded up P3d, all the roads and scenery textures from UTX were there. Im not sure if this is the best way, but it worked for me.Rob

If I remember correctly, I was not able to install UTX directly to P3D. the instraller insits on installing to FSX only. I suppose there is a way to install it directly by messing with the registry, but I was reluctant to go that route. I ended up re-installing FSX and installing UTX & GEX normally. Then copying all the files in the SceneryworldScenery directory (I hope I got the names right), to the same directory in Prepar3d and overwrote everything.When I loaded up P3d, all the roads and scenery textures from UTX were there. Im not sure if this is the best way, but it worked for me.Rob
Have you contacted the devs @ flight1 about a port to P3D?

Have you contacted the devs @ flight1 about a port to P3D?
No I haven't, I will do so now and see what they say. Im really not sure what flight1's stance is on Prepar3d. I thought I remeber a thread on Lockheeds forum from the head guy at Flight 1 saying their products are not to be ported to P3d. However I gust spent the last half hour looking for it, but can not find it. It might be burried or I could be mistaken. I guess its time to find out.Rob

I understood that they had righteously declared that they would have nothing to do with P3D until it truly declared itself a general entertainment publication. Which with the little I know about the terms of sale by MS to LM would seem to be a no-go.It also appears, without knowing the internal machinations of the web and game publishing industry another way of saying no way.This is a pity, because I have invested a great deal in Flight 1 retail offerings, and I would not want to exercise a retaliatory act of 'principal".

I understood that they had righteously declared that they would have nothing to do with P3D until it truly declared itself a general entertainment publication. Which with the little I know about the terms of sale by MS to LM would seem to be a no-go.It also appears, without knowing the internal machinations of the web and game publishing industry another way of saying no way.This is a pity, because I have invested a great deal in Flight 1 retail offerings, and I would not want to exercise a retaliatory act of 'principal".
Yes, I too have a lot of Flight1 products and prefer dealing with them because of their return policy. Most of my flight purchases are planes, but I do have UTX and GEX. To be honest, I use a lot of Megascenrery too, so I dont see GEX and UTX that much. However, when I do fly outside those areas, it doesnt look as good without GEX & UTX. moving over the files from the scenery/ world/ texture directory of fsx, to the same directory in prepar3d, resolved that. Now I see both GEX and UTX in P3d. This may or may not be against Flight 1's EULA. So if your not comfortable with that, then dont do it. I sent them an email asking for clarification, but so far did not hear back.Also I incorectly said in an above post to copy the files from the FSX scenery /world/ scenery and I should have said Scenery/ world/ Texture.Rob Edited by Comanche

Hi,Well, I have an empty FSX folder/sub folders that I use to install items that require FSX. The only files I have in FSX are in the main directory, all other sub folders are empty. UTX and/or GEX use the following folders.FSX/TEXTUREandFSX/SCENERY/WORLD/TEXTUREThe only other edit I had to do is add all the UTX scenery folders into P3D's scenery.cfg file.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Thanks mike, I forgot about the scenery config stuff.I got an email response from Flight 1 when I inquired about UTX @ GEX being made P3d aware. They said "there are no plans at this time". Rob

"there are no plans at this time".
Which is senseless.. - They could rake in extra cash with a very simple port.

Yea, I agree, but I guess they have their reasons, and I can respect that. I have a feeling they will embrace prepar3d at some point in the future when there are more P3d users and it fits their business model.Rob

Which is senseless.. - They could rake in extra cash with a very simple port.
I wouldn't call it senseless but wise. Imagine you port everything to P3D and customers pay money to use the addons in P3D and suddenly LM changes something that breaks compatibility...? LM clearly stated they won't hold back on changing and adding things just for compatibility sake. P3D had an unsure future when it comes to hobbyists and I think therefore it is wise to hold back a little...

There are a few fairly specific reasons we do not support Prepar3d. First, it is a priority/numbers game. Other projects take priority over something that will appeal the a great minority of entertainment users (P3D). Yes, it may seem like many are using it here. If 100 folks here are using P3D, then to crack things open, rebuild products, setups, new support twists, etc, for a product (P3D), whos entertainment use is not even condoned by the originator, does not really make a ton of business sense (as J van E alludes to). That does not mean we are happy to abandon customers, but the mechanics of the situation does not work out.Secondly, and it is important for folks to realize, that we hope P3D succeeds in the professional ranks, where it is legally licened to be used. That is of course an area we have looked at and participated in for quite some time now. It does not really help our relationship with Lockheed Martin if we push against the grain in that regard.P3D is not FS11.... and FSX can likely be around for years to come. So it is not any conspiracy, abandonment of customers, etc. It is indeed pretty cut and dry, and the above somewhat outlines it.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

And expounding on what Steve says, it really is not reasonable to assume that one product designed and purchased for use in FSX can be installed into a different platform without compensation to the developer / publisher and the incurred support issues as a result of that. Even more so, we take the Prepar3D licensing at face value, and our (Flight1 Software) products are designed / marketed as entertainment based products. Flight1 Aviation Technologies on the other hand fit the role and purpose as well as licensing of Prepar3D and are fully supported as such. Flight1 Softwares products are not. So Bottom line? Flight1 Software does not support the use of our products in Prepar3D.Further more as per our EULA:The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:- Installation and Use. You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.