Sign in to follow this  
Mike_CFII_MEL

Ultimate Terrain and Ground Environment X

Fair Enough. A good explanation, and it does make sense from your point of view.Ill still be sticking with Prepar3d, but I certainly appreciate your taking the time to clarifiy this for us! My admiration for Flight1 is second to none, with or without support for P3D.Rob

Edited by Comanche

Au contraire; contemplate this. I have one copy of a number of Flight 1 add-ons legally licensed to me as the end-user and installed (I take it this is defined by running the installer that comes with the addon). I have P3D and FSX on the SAME HDD, so they sit within millimetres of each other. I copy not remove (nor reinstall) my singularly installed components over from FSX to P3D so I am not reinstalling, 'ripping' it to give away free or to allow another user access to it contrary to the EULA. So as the licensed user, I may have breached the EULA yet frankly I can't see how (I have installed it on a single computer alone as the EULA stipulates) - but I say 'may', because I believe a Court may see my action as trivial regardless of a technical breach. I have simply used a product that I purchased and installed on the same computer and copied, not reinstalled it, to a gaming platform that is not FSX.If of course the breach is still real, just how is any of the commercial players able to check the computers of all sim pilots (incidentally they would be disappointed in me as I have not done any of the above) - and then be prepared to run a civil case against an owner who would claim absolutely no commercial advantage had been taken of their product, that their installation was singular, and that the right to copy for other reasons has never been argued. Courts hate what they call trivial disputes or at least my friends in the legal profession in Australia tell me that's the case here.Frankly, if v2.0 of P3 comes out without any backward compatibiliy then the game will change drastically, but not 'till then. If I was any publisher knowing that this is happening, then first, the full product has to be bought first and installed, and a bit of money can be made out of allowing the installation to remain in situ, not be doubled up in size on a HDD. My Traffic, Aerosoft and Orbx rapidly got into the game. Business models are only ever proved by events, never at the time of adoption..

because I believe a Court may see my action as trivial regardless of a technical breach.
It's got nothing wrong unless they find out.. eh? :(

Touche - it does sound like relative morality. But I hold the view that I have not breached the EULA if I install once, on one computer, but copy files to other folders on the same computer, and of course make no redistrubition to another computer or another person, for free or for payment.But you can see how complicated it is becoming. Forget P3D, just think of the one installation of FSX networked in a Homegroup to another computer, and iPad or an iPhone. What does that mean for a EULA?

Mr Hoads, the only thing that you have made clear is that you will not dev for P3D or provide a porting or connecting mechanism for your products to the P3D platform.However I can only assume that you will not, or cannot, pursue those who choose to port their one installed copy over to P3?

You assume too much.Mods? Please lock this as we have stated our position.