Sign in to follow this  
tjrush

Problem with Local vs GMT Time

I loaded the default flight at Friday Harbor and looked at the time. It showed an eight hour difference between local and GMT. This is correct. Now using the "go to airport" I moved the flight to KTEB in NJ. The time here shows a difference of 4 hours, which is wrong. It should be 5. I am using the current date so there is no Daylight Savings Time problem, In fact, if I now move the flight to KFMY in Florida local time changes and there is a 5 hour difference. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem??

Tom

Sorry to say, but FS does not handle real time very well. This does: http://www.3dsoftworks.net/products/fsrealtime/

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Or try using FSUIPC. I think if you use VATSIM there is an option to sync the time as well with FSInn.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Or try using FSUIPC.I think if you use VATSIM there is an option to sync the time as well with FSInn.
Still won't fix it. FSUIPC only keeps time in sync. FSX and FS9 both had really screwed up timezone bgls with really bad errors in many parts of the FSX/FS9 world.You can do one of two things;1: Find and download FSRealTime that has *.bgl files that will fix 99% of the timezone problems on the MSFS globe and keep MSFS time synced. (like Julian mentioned above)or...2. Find and download Dennis Thompson's TimeZone 3.0 files (search Dennis Thompson in AVSIM library...should be 4 files total). That should work too, as they are the same files offered by FSRealTime.Note: this will not fix the Standard Time to DST/DST to Standard Time dates in FSX. When FSX came out, the dates were still the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in April. George Bush changed it to the first Sunday in November and the Second Sunday in March. Since the switch is "hardcoded" in FSX, those dates can't be changed, so the difference between GMT and local time will be wrong in the first week of November and the last two weeks of March. Edited by netshadoe

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

1: Find and download FSRealTime that has *.bgl files that will fix 99% of the timezone problems on the MSFS globe and keep MSFS time synced. (like Julian mentioned above)
Thank you Devin. The FS Realtime demo version corrected the problem.

Tom

Note: this will not fix the Standard Time to DST/DST to Standard Time dates in FSX. When FSX came out, the dates were still the last Sunday in October and the first Sunday in April. George Bush changed it to the first Sunday in November and the Second Sunday in March. Since the switch is "hardcoded" in FSX, those dates can't be changed, so the difference between GMT and local time will be wrong in the first week of November and the last two weeks of March.
I don't believe this is correct. Try the following (save as .xml and use FSX bglcomp) for EST/EDT:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><!-- Created by Scenery Design Engine (SDE) on 12/22/10 US Eastern Time -5/-4  --><FSData   version="9.0"   xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"   xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd"><TimeZone	  latitudeMinimum = "N23.8926"	  latitudeMaximum = "N46.1678"	  longitudeMinimum = "W84.3291"	  longitudeMaximum = "W66.5402"	  timedeviation = "300"	  priority = "255"	  daylightSavings = "NONE"	  daylightSavingsTimeShift = "60"	  daylightSavingsStartDayOfYearBase = "67"	  daylightSavingsStartDayOfWeek = "SUNDAY"	  daylightSavingsEndDayOfYearBase = "305"	  daylightSavingsEndDayOfWeek = "SUNDAY"/></FSData>

Problem is you have to design by rectangle areas, so making a precise timezone is a bit of a chore.scott s..

Edited by scott967

Hey Scott! Just noticed your post. I have Realtime files but they are one hour off for a good portion of Africa. I have bglcomp to compile the xml but what I need is a way to take the realtime Africa file and edit it. Nothing seems to be able to disassemble those bgls. I have even tried the old scdis that worked back in the FS98-2000 days but no go. BGLanalyze was suggested but I have tried all versions and they only give me the header in xml but not the actual content. I notice that you have created your own xml for Eastern TZ but do you have a program that will disassemble the bgl files that Thompson used for his data?

Ok try this for size..Advice very much appreciated.I,m currently in the U.K and its not BST,I fly a quick hop in my Learjet as you do to Dublin heading west 270ish,which is the same time zone..i land and create a new flight heading back to East Mids U.K heading East 090ish,FSX thinks Dublin should be +1 hour on Gm????t, i,m now sat on runwway in U.K not BST quite,its next week and local time is +1 on Gmt???????can someone create me a tardis please or a plane capable of 186000M/Sec because this is really doing my head in...This is a new problem thats occured suddenly for no apparent reason,let me know folks,Real time is no solution and my system time is fine its fsx...

Review of FSX timezone:

Default fsx provides a set of timezone for the whole world, aligned by longitude which define an offset in minutes from GMT/UTC.  For the UK, that timezone extends from -15 west to +15 east, with an offset of 0, i.e., follows GMT.

FSX provides a scenery file which implements the method shown in the SDK for modifying the default timezones.  This file is in Scenery\BASE\Scenery with filename timezone.bgl.  This file defines a set of timezone records.  Each record is defined as a lat/lon bounded rectangle and within the rectangle timezone is set as an offset in minutes from GMT/UTC (same as in default timezones) and in addition allows for setting start and end dates, along with time difference in minutes, for "daylight savings".  The start and end dates allow for setting a specific day-of-week (such as Sunday) for the case where a set date isn't used, but more like a "last Sunday in March".  No provision is made for changing at a certain hour.  Note that timezone.bgl only provides coverage for the US and Western Europe.

In the case of UK/Ireland, they are covered with a single timezone record 113 in the file as shown here:

This record has a daylight savings adjustment set as ON on day 87 and OFF on day 297.  For 2013 that works out to ON on 28 Mar and OFF on 24 Oct.  No provision was made in that file record for the day-of-week (Sunday) setting.

So, as far as FSX is concerned using the default scenery, today is the start of daylight savings in UK/Ireland.

scott s.