Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

Quest Kodiak - What do you Think?

Hey fellas - I have and enjoy the Quest Kodiak. For me, it is a real asset when it comes to earning its keep, so to speak. I especially enjoy its handling and STOL capabilities. Do any of y'all have any RW experience with one? Has anybody talked with a RW Kodiak pilot about this aircraft? I would love to hear from someone who has the virtual model and who also has some experience with the RW aircraft.I found that once I became aquainted with the abilities and idiosyncrasies of the Kodiak, it soon became a very comfortable aircraft to operate. I have come to appreciate the Kodiak's full-flap STOL capabilities. My comments pertain to the wheeled version only as that is the version I am familiar with. I have no log time in any of the other versions.If I could wave a magic wand and get exactly what I wanted in this aircraft, I would probably revert back to the old-style gauges as I am much more a fan of the older, traditional cockpit environment rather than the "glass" cockpits in so many of today's aircraft. Having said that, I still enjoy this aircraft and I would love to have someone enlighten me regarding his opinion of how realistic the Kodiak flight model is.

I've never flown one but I am based at the airport where they do their sim training and 50 miles away is there production facility. They say it flies much like a Cessna caravan which I have flown. Must be fun to take into the extreme spots.One of the things about the sim is they did not simulate free turbines correctly in the slightest bit. That's partially why I haven't flown fsx in many months.

One of my old buddys from Timber Choppers went to work for Quest, it's been a while since I talked to him but they have him ferrying the Quests back & forth for painting in Seattle and also checking out new pilots in the Quest. He flies it regurlarly, that I do know. Quest laid off about 75% of their work force a year ago last fall, I think they had some really big ideas that didn't pan out. He was one of the lucky ones that didn't get the axe, but Quest doesn't have such a glowing reputation around here after dumping several dozen freshly unemployed out into a non-existant job market.Funny thing is when we do talk, we don't talk about airplanes or helicopters, we talk about our old tractors and homebrewed beer! :smile:What do you want to know? I'll ask him...Jim

Hey Jim - The FSX Kodiak is a great aircraft for bush operations in all but the smallest strips located in the most confined areas. I am surprised and pleased at the ability of the a/c to drop like a stone while still maintaining reasonably slow approach speeds, especially when you have set the flaps down full. I would be interested to know if the RW aircraft reacts in this fashion also. I'm sure the development team modeled this a/c closely to the RW one but I would love to have a RW pilot's take on the A/C's handling characteristics while at full flaps.Chris - I am not a RW pilot and I have heard from others that FSX does not simulate free turbines correctly. I am primarily interested in the flight handling characteristics and how they match up with the RW a/c. I very much appreciate your comments!Thanks to you both.John

He hates flight simulator (and computers in general), so I doubt we'll get a comparison between real & sim, but I can pick his brain a little. I'll bump this thread next time I talk to him.Jim

He hates flight simulator (and computers in general), so I doubt we'll get a comparison between real & sim, but I can pick his brain a little. I'll bump this thread next time I talk to him.Jim
-----------------------------------------------------------------I'd be very interested as well, regarding his real air-time in this bird. The Kodiak is my all time usage, within FSX. As the O.P. stated, you can fly and land this bird practically anywhere. The amphibian version would be the dream G.A. plane to own if you could truly afford it, and to maintain one!!!