Sign in to follow this  
Birdman

looking around the VC

Hello Everyone,I always hear everyone talk about how easy (or how much better) the VC is to fly with, but for the life of me I can't seem to get the hang of it. For instance to view the overhead.I scroll up with up arrow key and my view of it becomes sideways. Also the switch captions seem to be blurry.to look at. To view the switches on the overhead I have to turn my head 180 degrees to the right (face close to my right shoulder) and then try and cock my head to 90 degrees upwards at the same time, all the while trying to read which switch or toggle is which.Surely there must be a better way of navigating about this VC cockpit?Anyone have some good tips? (I'm still reading manuals and have always been a 2D person, but no throttle quad in 2D so I'm trying to force myself to go VC now.)ThanksEd Burton

you are using trackir?either map the 2D overhead to a joystick button or try ezdok and create custom views you can cycle through

Hi guys,Thanks for responding, nope, don't have either of those,( Trakir or EZCAM), just the mouse and keyboard at the moment. Are these tools kind of necessary tools to use the VC? I'll google up these items and see what they're all about. Appreciate your advices.Ed Burton

Get Ezdok, it's awesome for quick view switching and vibration effects, etc

The combo TrackIR/EZdok is working realy well for me. I strongly recommend it.

Edited by Chrisv007

Hey Ed,Here is a trick I learned with the JS41, the first plane I bought without a 2D cockpit. Assign a hotkey to the VC views you want. Then you can just pop instantly to that panel as though they were 2D views. For instance, in the 737 NGX I have F10 to a custom view I call VFR which emulates the default 2D panel view. F11 is programmed to the overhead panel and F12 to the radios. With those starting points I can access any part of the VC quickly and from the correct perspective (i.e., the overhead panel straight on). If you're interested, I can post the details and changes to the aircraft.cfg to do this. Eddie

Eddie
KABQ

Hi. Check this videos for now and it will answer all your questions. This is EZdok. It will cost you about $30 or something. Trakir5 is about $150. Both can work together. EZdok will also simulate turbulence and all other effects. You can set up as many VC views as you wish and use them in random order. Just wtach those videos. I hope it will help for now. http://www.simforums.com/Forums/the-videoexamples-of-ezca-work_topic33527.html

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

You dont even need those. Either cycle your views (keyboard A) or assign a button to toggle mouse look (in FSX settings) - I have the mouselook set on spacebar and it is very convenient - spacebar, move, spacebar, click, spacebar, move back.

Hi, all you need is a joystick and assign the hat switch to do the looking around. I personally hate the whole EZdok or TrackIR thingy. I find it unrealistic. My head doesn't move that much when I'm flying in real life so... I simply use my joystick hat switch and have my thumb button assigned to recenter my view. It works very nice and it's cheap. Hope this helps.BTW, I do have 3D Real Cockpit Effects, to do all the vibration stuff.

Reik Namreg

Birdman..I was in the same boat as you..then I purchased EZDOK and was a total mess trying to work out WorldCams..so I deleted EZDOK and went back to 2D cockpit. But I was missing out on so much reality without the VC. That was until I tuned into Angle of Attack tutorials and videos and convinced myself to reinstall EZDOK. It is a bugger to get it right but once you do it is a marvel that I cannot do without. I dont even look at 2D cockpit anymore, dont have to. Watch the tutorials at AOA and you cannot go wrong.RegardsPhil

3D, VC, Ezdok with hot keys or TrackIR if you are working with only 1 monitor.With multi-monitors, the 2D world opens up to a lot of possibles.

You don't need those, however, to use the VC. You can hold down the space bar and move the mouse to look around the VC.

EZDok has increased my flying enjoyment 100%. Before, I would try to execute my "after landing" checklist whilst taxiing, and would usually end up on the grass somewhere. With EZDok, I can flick my hat switch to the left and pop right back into the left seat view. Check it out on YouTube--a guy has a real good series of tutorials.