Sign in to follow this  
Bushido5

Is New Zealand South good ?

Yes, you get more trees with a lesser impact on fps. That's nice indeed. But there is too much boring scenery (not Orbx fault, of course! :( ) and it all seems so repetitive... Besides that: the airports are also further apart: I like short to very short flights and there are less of them possible in NZSI then there are in PNW. And there isn't much to do with the 737NGX in NZSI. But as I said before, all this doesn't mean the scenery is bad: it's just not my kind of scenery.
Yes I agree on all points. I didn't realize there were so few airports or strips. I love the PNW there are airports all over the place great GA flying for short hops.The scenery though is quite spectacular compared to default for sure.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Half a country and you can only come up with three airports for me to land my ngx in? :)
Not forgetting the country is only the size of the UK and Japan, but only 4.2 million humans, and 33 million sheep. You can land and take off at Invercargill in the NGX, but they don't in real life except for Queenstown diversions. Edited by ZK-SUH

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Yes, you get more trees with a lesser impact on fps. That's nice indeed. But there is too much boring scenery (not Orbx fault, of course! :( ) and it all seems so repetitive... Besides that: the airports are also further apart: I like short to very short flights and there are less of them possible in NZSI then there are in PNW. And there isn't much to do with the 737NGX in NZSI. But as I said before, all this doesn't mean the scenery is bad: it's just not my kind of scenery.
.. Edited by ZK-SUH

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Well, it is true. The airports are further apart, which makes somewhat realistic scenic flights. For me, I quite like it, the scenery. What would be awesome is the populated strips like PNW, and the beautiful scenery like NZSI. Not saying they are bad, in fact, they are both quite lovely. I'm just stating my opinion here.

I really wonder what you wanted to say... :(

I really wonder what you wanted to say... :(
Suppose I should put you out of your misery :( Had to rush out, that's why my post was blank. What I was going to say was: After PNW, NZSI would seem like a small island ( I mean really small) with PNW being so vast and a high concentration of mountains.The best country to compare NZSI would be Switzerland, even though the Alps in NZ are longer, lenth wise. There are some hidden gems that I know where to find them, but it is easy for me, as I am a local. Edited by ZK-SUH

Suppose I should put you out of your misery :( Had to rush out, that's why my post was blank. What I was going to say was: After PNW, NZSI would seem like a small island ( I mean really small) with PNW being so vast and a high concentration of mountains.The best country to compare NZSI would be Switzerland, even though the Alps in NZ are longer, lenth wise. There are some hidden gems that I know where to find them, but it is easy for me, as I am a local.
Thanks. :wink:I think I will give NZSI another try this evening. About using the 737NGX in NZSI: I don't think there is a complete answer yet to the question which NZSI-airports the 737NGX could be used on...? Or are the tree mentioned airports indeed all there is? Edited by J van E

If you were to use NZCH as a base, which is the second largest airport in NZ, you can fly to NZQN (Queenstown) exciting approach like LOWI. NZDN (Dunedin) NZNV (Invercargill)Edit:The flight to Queenstown is the most scenic, as you fly over the southern lakes via Mount Mary, then over the Dunstan Mountains into NZQN.South Island compared to the North is very differnt, NI is mostly Volcanic with rolling hills, farmland etc. The SI is mostly formed by the retreating glaciers, over thousands of years So the SI is more dramatic than the north. A lot more.You can also fly the NGX into Wellington, the capital city, which is at the bottom of the NI, 737's and A320's used often on the NZCH, NZDN and NZQN services. That will give you a fantastic flight over the seaward kaikoura ranges.

Edited by ZK-SUH

Jeroen, going to bore you some more. You mentioned in one of your posts that you thought that part of the landscape looked desert like, some parts in the summer can look like that. It gets very dry down the bottom half of the island, with temp's reaching high 30's at times. Above 2000ft, you will see snow on some of the mountain peaks, all year round.and Mt Cook especially @ 12700ft.In the Winter, if using ASE etc, the eye candy will be breathtaking. The rain forests on the west side are worth a look as well.

Wow, cool, thanks for all that info, Julian! :( I wil definitely try those airports the coming days! About the seasons: I usually fly diring spring because things are greener then (in PNW as well as in NZSI, and yes, in NZSI that would be november/december :( ). Last weekend I did a flight to Norway and because I was using real world weather (ASE), I got snow all around even though I was flying in late spring: it looked great indeed! It had been a while since I flew with snow all over the place. So I will also give that a try in NZSI. It will sure give me a complete other look on the island!Thanks for 'boring' me! blum.gif

Funny how seasons can make or break an area. I prefer spring as well, with the mix of green and spring snow.Just a bit more trivia, to get you to sleep :( if you put a long needle through a globe of the earth say in Zurich, it will come out in NZSI. Anyway, it was one of your fellow countryman Abel Tasman that first sighted this country. He came from Zealandia,in Holland hence where the name came from.Anyway, that is enough, before I get branded as a train spotter. :(

Tasman/Zealandia....we live and learn, never knew that. Nothing wrong with Train Spotters :(

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Anyway, that is enough, before I get branded as a train spotter. :(
Train spotters here??? Where? :(

Train spotters here??? Where? :(
You better keep on your guard Stephen, we are everywhere. :(