Sign in to follow this  
raymar

U/G nvidia driver - more jagged edges - help

I know I have been thru this a few times but the zagged egdes and dancing docks and shimmering taxiway lines are driving me nuts. Up close all looks great, the general scenery is OK, it is just the jagged edge, wires, docks, and such that absolutely messes up my flights.FSX/Accel. i7-870, 8 GB, Dell 24 WS 1920x1200 resolution, GTX 460 card/1 GB, INSP latest version. Settings as shown. It is all in the AA court, I think.Any suggestions. I have tried adding MIPS to many of the texture files.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

http://forum.avsim.n...f-all-settings/ Try these settings.Russell.
Thanks Russell, but, that is where I started. My settings are a little higher, deeper, wider or something. TABS settings (neither of the two) do not work for my setup - jagged edges everywhere, all else seems to be OK.Looking for some insight into how to get rid of them.Ray

Firstly, instead of using "enhance application setting", you should be using "override application setting". Behavior flag should be set to "none". Anti-aliasing within FSX should be "off".

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Firstly, instead of using "enhance application setting", you should be using "override application setting". Behavior flag should be set to "none". Anti-aliasing within FSX should be "off".
I just stepped thru the 3 recommended settings from TABS. Results here. I think all of your settings are in there. Thanks. Ideas? Rather than posting the full settings - they are EXACTLY as in the 2nd post above from the PMDG forum.Ray

I just stepped thru the 3 recommended settings from TABS. Results here. I think all of your settings are in there. Thanks. Ideas? Rather than posting the full settings - they are EXACTLY as in the 2nd post above from the PMDG forum.Ray
I'm confused, Ray. You said your settings are set exactly like Ryan's, but your screenshots tell a different story.Inspsettings.jpgFSXSettings.jpg1- none2- Override any application setting3- UNcheckedAlso be aware that any xSQ setting in Inspector is aggressive and you may experience stutters. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I have the same card as you, I use the middle example in the link, 8xS but have the Antialiasing-Transparency Supersampling set to Off/Multisampling and I have no jaggies at all. I see you still have Anti-aliasing checked in FSX. Uncheck it.Russell.

I also have the Geforce 460 (the higher end version) and use 16X AA (at 1680X1050 resolution) without a problem.

RaymarThere have been known issues with the GEForce 280.xx and 290.xx drivers wrt to AA in FSX. The consensus is that the 275.33 driver is the most stable for use in FSX. (Using the clean install procedure provided by nvidia)BTW I would never OVERRIDE the settings in FSX the game engine is adequate and it is better enhanced. IMHO Override by the driver will give unpredictable results, some good some bad.RegardsPeterH

I have the same card as you, I use the middle example in the link, 8xS but have the Antialiasing-Transparency Supersampling set to Off/Multisampling and I have no jaggies at all. I see you still have Anti-aliasing checked in FSX. Uncheck it.Russell.
OK, I tried your suggestion first. I set up for 8xS using INSP in both FSX and Global profiles and appied each. I unchecked AA in FSX but could not see any improvement, may be a lttle worse actually with it unchecked. I cycled thru the 3 FSX filters and also can't see much difference other that None is awful. What is your choice here?I still have the jaggies in the distance. Up close they clean up. See screenshots with Russ on them. Thanks. I hope I am one click away from clearing this up. I don't remember having this problem when I had the old 7950GT or 8800GT cards. The scenery is fine it is just the jagged lines and dancing wires.Ray

I also have the Geforce 460 (the higher end version) and use 16X AA (at 1680X1050 resolution) without a problem.
I tried the 16X AA and it is also unsatisfactory. Thanks for the post.]Ray
RaymarThere have been known issues with the GEForce 280.xx and 290.xx drivers wrt to AA in FSX. The consensus is that the 275.33 driver is the most stable for use in FSX. (Using the clean install procedure provided by nvidia)BTW I would never OVERRIDE the settings in FSX the game engine is adequate and it is better enhanced. IMHO Override by the driver will give unpredictable results, some good some bad.RegardsPeterH
Hello Peter,I am going to give this a try. I need to read up on the 'clean install procedure'. Thanks for the suggestion.Ray

Well ray, I don't know what to suggest next. I use the settings you show with excellent results with the 290.53 driver. BTW, these settings are for FSX, so no need to put them in the Global settings.Russell.

Hello Peter,I dropped back to the v275.33 version drivers and used the clean intstall. No improvement, maybe not quite as good as it was with the v285.62. I noticed I lost the abiliity to use the INSP External Limiter - not sure if that is good or bad. Only the most cursory look so far.Any one else have a suggestion?RayOk, I am going to jump forward to the v290.53 driver and take a look. Thanks all.Ray

I think ther 275.33 Drivers help with AA soooo much more then the current Drivers do, the only reason I use Current driver is because of BF3.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom