Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

Airbus Verses Boeing

Nice video. Comment edited to avoid a war about words. But seriously since I've never flown into SFO are those parallel landings safe during low vis approaches or is there enoigh space for say a 747 and 777?

Edited by Kenny

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

There are other, similar videos but this one is the most impressive. Bear in mind that the zoom lens makes them seem much closer together than they really are. From the satellite view, the runways look like about 750 ft apart.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

As I understand SFO's operation, they were most likely on visual approaches and one would be instructed not to overtake the other. It's close, but SWA lands behind VRD.

Steve Caffey

Why not overtake? They land at whatever speed they have to.

-Iain Watson-

Why not overtake? They land at whatever speed they have to.
Because if you have your eyes on a plane, it's your responsibilty to stay clear of that aircraft. If you overtake that aircraft, you may no longer be able to see them.Either way, Steve is correct; if you listen to SFO tower and they are doing parallel visual approaches on the 28's, you will hear that instruction a lot.Kenny,Yes, there is plenty of space between the runways. During low visibility operations, they do still do simultaneous approaches, but there are special procedures. The FAA charts have "SIM CLOSE PAR" on them. I don't know what that means, but it is special.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/SFO/IAP/ILS+PRM+RWY+28L+%28SIM+CLOSE+PAR%29/pdfLook at both pages. Page 2 explains the notations in the uper left area of page 1.Yes the center line separation is 750 feet.http://www.answers.com/topic/precision-approach explains terms LDA and PRM. PRM is an extra controller auditing the space between the two aircraft and will issue of the additional PRM frequency being monitored any needed breakout instruction should the no fly zone be entered.

I believe that, when a 747, for example, is landing alongside a 737, the 737 would stay ahead to avoid the 747 wake but it makes sense to keep relative positions fixed so as not to lose sight of each other in case of an emergency.

Dugald Walker

Agree with above as on the ITVV 747 dvd you clearly hear them say "do not overtake 'smaller plane' on the right" when doing a parallel landing. I assume that for aircraft of similar weights it wouldn't be too much of an issue for one to be a little in front of the other as they'd have similar wake profiles.Looks impressive though.