Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

PNW Specific Out of Memory Errors

Before the general G3D.dll FSUIPC fix I often could not complete anything but the shortest of PNW flights, for no more than a half hour or so before getting hit with that error. Therefore FSX did not run long enough to have the OOM error. Now that there are no G3D.dll crashes most of my ORBX PNW flights end with a OOM after about an hour of flying over intense areas near Seattle. It happened again last night. I flew a Caranado 340 from Jefferson to Cushman Narrows, to Bowerman, to Wax Orchards, to Vashion Island and got almost to S43 when it ran out of memory. I don't think that it is something particularily wrong with my machine hardware or software. I can go for hours flying from, say, Jefferson County to anywhere in Tongass Fjords (which is a fabulous addon), and on to CRM and SRM stopping at various places along the way.My settings are maxed out in every way, so I know it processes a lot of data very quickly with the CPU near 5.0 GHz and the GPU at 900Mhz, but the machinery itself is under no stress or duress at any time, and is completely flawless until it hits that wall. I don't want to lower my settings, for what is the point when the machine is not even challenged. Now awhile back I did a complete reinstall of FSX and 90G of addons. I installed FSSave and it worked flawlessly to save everything routinely, which seemed to help. But when I recently changed my Nvidia Inspector settings FSSave will no longer start. Very strange!Is anyone else experiencing anything similiar?Kind regards,

Sorry can't help you Stephen, while I know enough to be dangerous, I do not understand the in's and out's of this sort of issue.I'm going to ask a friend....like the game show, perhaps he knows.

Edited by 1st fltsimguy

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Seem to recall reading huge amounts about VAS some months ago. Think Word Not Allowed was one of the main contributors, perhaps he can offer some pointers. Worth a PM perhaps if he misses this thread.Bit of reading here:-http://forum.avsim.net/topic/358481-out-of-memory-error/page__p__2210957__hl__vas__fromsearch__1#entry2210957

Edited by dogtrack

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

deleted..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Stephen,Can you test with a longer than normal flight in PNW with these settings in FSUIPC, in the autosave section, it will not cause pauses, but see if it eliminates the OOM errors you are experiencing.[AutoSave]Next=12Interval=600Files=30SaveOnGround=NoAutoSaveEnabled=YesShould this work, my theory is correct. If it does not work, I can throw my trumpet in the bin.Regards

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Stephen,Can you test with a longer than normal flight in PNW with these settings in FSUIPC, in the autosave section, it will not cause pauses, but see if it eliminates the OOM errors you are experiencing.[AutoSave]Next=12Interval=600Files=30SaveOnGround=NoAutoSaveEnabled=YesShould this work, my theory is correct. If it does not work, I can throw my trumpet in the bin.Regards
Hi Julian,Does that work with the registered and unregistered versions. I have not registered yet. If so, where do I put it?Kind regards,

Hi Stephen,Goes in the fsuipc.ini in fsx/modules dir. Scroll down till you see [AUTOSAVE]. Now, I am not sure if it works in un registered version or not.I have not had an OOM since making this setting, in PNW or Anchorage X which gave me problems.Keep me postedregards

Edited by ZK-SUH

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Stephen,Do you remember PeterH replying to you regarding OOM's before Xmas, I am sure he won't mind me quoting him:"StephenI did postulate, (as is my want) that the autosave does indeed refresh something in FSX (.NET Garbage Collector, kernel, heaps, stacks, handles or something). IMHO, and it is only an opinion, that the VAS becomes defragmented and I have seen that using a sysinternals app called VMMap, and the contiguous block sizes become smaller as the FSX flights become longer.As soon as you use something like autosave, (even ALT-Tab or refresh scenery key) the VAS space appears (I do stress appears as I am not an expert in interpreting VMMap) to become less fragmented and the contiguous block sizes appear to be larger or getting larger and that could be the key to reducing OOM errors.I can't prove any of this but if there is someone out there who uses VMMap and sees a similar situation when using say complex scenery coupled with complex tube liners plus add-on weather, plus add on AI, they might corroborate my theory. I only fly GA planes plus complex scenery and do not see any OOM errors and since Pete Dowson's FSUIPC fix no g3d.dll errors. Again using the latter fix and using VMMap you could see that the fragmentation of the VAS was less. However, I asked PeteD about this and he didn't think that there was any connection.I have written to Mark Russinovich from MS Sysinternals about VMMap and how to interpret its results wrt FSX, but he is a very busy person, and may not reply for sometime, if ever. Do a google search for WCL405-HD.wmv Mark Russinovich "Mysteries of Windows Memory Mnaagement revealed", Atlanta, May 2011, to see how VMMap might be able to help in FSX OOM issues. Unfortunately I have lost the original URL reference to the video.Hope this helpsPeterHNow after reading this post, I was able to fly from KSEA, over PNW to PANC without an OOM. I can now do very long flights in the NGX now. Before, it was impossiable.Just so you know, I am using driver 275.33 with NV Insprector FPS limiter set at 30.I really believe Peter was on to something here.Regards

Edited by ZK-SUH

Thanks Julian,I have been a bit behind the 8 ball, but I will take up your suggestions this week hopefully. I had forgotten about those conversations with Peter! Must be getting old. :Nerd:Kind regards,

No problen Stephen. I do hope it is a silver bullit. I hope the autosave function works in an unregistered version of fsuipc. As Peter said, refreshing the scenery library might work as well, if autosave is not an option.All the best

Stephen,You may recall that I had the OOM at the Moncton Flight College Demo. I brought it into the guys that built my computer and they simply cleared out all my start activity (msconfig). It has been working smoothly since then. Now this is less complicated then the solution offered a couple of posts above but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Rolf

Stephen,You may recall that I had the OOM at the Moncton Flight College Demo. I brought it into the guys that built my computer and they simply cleared out all my start activity (msconfig). It has been working smoothly since then. Now this is less complicated then the solution offered a couple of posts above but I am keeping my fingers crossed.Rolf
Hi Rolf,Good to see you in here! You are right there, the less programs running the more juice is left for FSX. However, the FSX OOM error comes from within the FSX program itself when it runs out of allocated 32 bit memory. That is not as a result of physical memory as such. Perhaps that day FSX or those airports did not load properly. The good news is that the problem went away. Problems that go away and don't come back are good problems to have! Wish mine would skidattle more often!Kind regards,

Can you post a screenie of the actual message, Stephen?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.