Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpiritFlyer

My Thoughts as Forum Moderator

My thoughts as Forum ModeratorThese are my own personal thoughts and have no official status. But since I am the moderator of this forum, and many do not know me, or of me, it is only fair that I let you know how I hope to do my job. First, I love the ORBX products, and own dozens of them. Because of that I think that it is an excellent idea that AVSIM provide this unofficial ORBX support forum that is independent of ORBX itself for purposes that include those outlined below. Again, these statements are my own, and have no official sanction, but are merely a statement of my beliefs and moderating intentions. Rightfully so, my duties and authority are held in trust and is limited as such.This forum is a responsibly moderated free and open online community within the AVSIM ToS for those who wish to be a part and who legitimately own and want to better enjoy the benefits of their ORBX products. It is not for those that don't. That means members can share everything ORBX related here, our problems, our solutions and our opinions in an atmosphere free of fear of unwarranted censure or control. That means that the freedom to celebrate ORBX and it's products, debate ORBX and it's products and criticize ORBX and it's products are all held to be equally valid and valuable as a fundamental foundation to expressing that freedom. However, there is a delicate balance that must be maintained.As with all freedoms everywhere, there are safeguards here that ensure that all those that belong and participate conduct themselves according to commonly accepted rules and regulations that govern all aspects within AVSIM. Violators that contravene the AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS) will reap the penalties specified in the Terms of Service. Similarly those that adhere to the AVSIM Terms of Service will benefit from the privleges associated with them. As far as I am concerned everyone who wants to belong to, and positively participates in this forum community, stands on level ground with everyone else, including myself. These are not just lofty ideals, but commonly held sense and sentiment.Whether anyone is a brand new ORBX customer, or those with long histories, all are first class members in this forum, with a front row seat. I like rigorous discussion but have little if any tolerance for personal attacks and vicious vendettas. Most of us have had enough of those to last a lifetime on various other internet forums, so any of that sort of behavior here will be swiftly followed with appropriate moderation. However this is not like a police state where control and authority are the primary objectives to be forcefully demonstrated at every opportunity, but rather a gathering place of friends and acquaintances where either is exercised only when absolutely necessary to protect the common good.I hope that we can build a solid and lasting community here that will rise above any of our weaknesses and narrow self interests. That means I am going to need your help in every way to go the extra mile with me and each other, and to be quick to let go of those things that tend to sour even the best of intentions. In other words, let's climb to the highest common denominator, and not let ourselves ever to sink to the lowest. That means that as adults we have to make choices in our own actions and reactions. Our choices will make this forum either successful, mediocre or a failure.Those are our options going forward, as I see it.Kind regards,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The right man in the right place at the right time et cetera. Stephen for president! :(

The right man in the right place at the right time et cetera. Stephen for president! :(
+1 Better make it Prime Minister, as the Union Jack is still pasted to the back of the Maple Leaf blum.gif

Very well said! I hope this does become a great forum section.

Stephen,The rules of this forum are quite simple. Please dont make it any more complicated than it needs to be. Topic locked.......oh, wait a minute.... :lol:Seriously, could not agree more! Im sure we will all have a good time here.

Well boys and girls,It has been almost a month since this forum started, so let's have it: How are we doing and what can we all do to keep it bubbling along?Kind regards,

Well if all we talk about is Orbx as the title of the Forums imply ORBX Forum, then it will be hard to keep it going.The very reason the Orbx forums were so good was the way the pilot lounge forums keep everyone informed what was happening in our hobby. The Hard ware forums for asking for help etc. Also posting SS is also nice for seeing friends having fun. But what made them so good IMO were the people who posted there a lot and many are now here.There forums are dead now in almost all respects.It would be very nice if we could bring them things to this sub forums so in away this because what we all had before.We have one post with over 10,000 views so people will come here its down to us all to make it work. But we need more scope within this forum if possible.

I'm doing just fine, thank you. :( In all honesty there isn't much bubbling over here when it comes to Orbx... It was 'nice' sharing some experiences but I somehow don't feel the (daily or even weekly) need to specifically talk about Orbx-related stuff... I'm done with Orbx, really...EDITIt took some time before I had the opportunity to post my post and NyxxUK posted something in the meantime: he is right: if all we talk about is Orbx, we will be done soon. And all the rest that made the Orbx forum nice is already covered in the other Avsim subforums...! So I guess this subforum will mainly be used for support, if possible, and some release news... I don't think you'll have a lot of moderating to do on this forum, Stephen... :(

I think you're doing brilliantly Stephen :) Yes, the sub forum has several topics such as New Releases as well as ORBX - compatible addons. Many of the topics intended for the other forums are being moved here :D Saying that, the forum is quite controlled, so as Jeroen said, I don't think moderating should be much of a problem :(

I'm using them Firefox tabs, Stephen, and your forum has replaced the OrbiX "Official" forum completely. I use only the http://www.fullterra...om/support.html to keep in tune with the updates and new releases, but that's all.My purpose in going there initially, was to join the "PNW Flying Club".. and that slowly turned sour, as it became patently obvious that 'we' (sic) were never going to have an organized club, nor were we even going to have the much-touted "OrbiX server" that was "being built" (really?) by JK. In fact - there are/were so many "Log your online flights here" "Post your online flights here" "Use this 'Calendar' to post you online flight plans" sub-forums - it was a continuous, confusing mess, punctuated with "Rah-Rah - Happy Birthday, Ian", or whoever. I mean - how many sub-forums do you need for on-line flying? I don't miss it. After the Christmas debacle (yes - I bought in to the pre-release sale.. grrrrr) I (correctly) succumbed to the herd instinct and divorced OrbiX completely, and so you, my friend, are now the face of OrbX - not JV or JK. (I'm not sure just why that 'Darth Vader' pic, but it does/did send a not-too subtle message, doesn't it?). :(

That not Darpht Vader, that's Batman.batman.pngThis is Darpht Vader:darth_vader.pngSee the difference? blum.gif

Echoing what others have said, I think it is working great Stephen.I still check the official forum occasionally for support, release announcements and the occasional peek at community screenshot forum with all the great shots customers come up with, but it is nice to have this forum here for good open Orbx discussion without having to worry about accidentally saying something you didn't know stepped over the Orbx TOS lines.Like the other unofficial vendor forums, I think it is natural that it gets quieter in times when there haven't been any new Orbx releases, or (thankfully) any more surprising/negative forum actions or official communications to discuss.I'm still looking forward to having Monroe, SW AK and Jackson Hole to discuss at some point, as well as the upcoming Starks Twin Oaks patch.

It's true I simply never go to the official FTX/Orbx site or forums anymore as I can get everything I need in these pages. Apart from the edited forums and terrible attitude of the owner and many of the mods I got so sick of seeing the same old resident sycophants there that I would always leave thinking less of the product which is a shame as the product is of course very good. I don't need to come by here very often and I don't think it will ever be a busy forum but if I want a quick update then I know this is the only place I need to look at. Funnily enough though I'm not so excited by the prospect of new releases any more. In the last few months I'm come to feel happy with what I've got, especially as the last few Orbx sceneries I bought were a little disappointing. But for news of any updates and patches etc this is my one stop shop.

I would like to state my opinion which I am afraid probably won't be liked by a lot of people here. I therefore apologise in advance.Much as I am a person who advocates free speech I am disheartened by the posts in this sub-forum which criticize people (or a particular person) within Orbx. I fear that some posts and in particular a couple of threads in this sub-forum could turn people away from Orbx as a company.I absolutely love Orbx and their products, and if they were to shut down it would be a very dark and depressing day (Flight Simming-wise) for me indeed. I would hate to think that this sub-forum contributed to their demise.I understand that some have had issues recently and it is your right to not support the company by not purchasing their products if you so wish, but I think it also is time to move on from recent events.Because of what I have said above I do not enjoy this part of Avsim even though I think it's a good idea to have this sub-forum available within Avsim so I will cease coming to this particular area.Anyway, this is my honest opinion. This will probably be my last post here in this sub-forum, and I would appreciate it if the people here gave my thoughts some consideration even if you disagree with it and decide to carry on as before.Finishing on a positive note, apart from what I have mentioned above, I think you are doing great Stephen :(.Thanks, Martin

if all we talk about is Orbx, we will be done soon. And all the rest that made the Orbx forum nice is already covered in the other Avsim subforums...!
Agreed... except... I suspect that all of us have a particular affinity for low-and-slow... whether it's bush flying or just exploration. While it's true that Avsim has plenty of places to discuss aviation in general, I'm not sure there's a forum that exactly caters to our sensibility. Perhaps if we hang in here, we'll evolve naturally toward the kind of conversation that originally made the ORBX forums a nice community - that is, covering all things aviation, but with a slant toward ORBX-style flying. In other words, something social, that isn't strictly dedicated either to technical support or to pure information exchange. A bit of an Internet dating site, if you will... :(@Marith - good points, but I suspect that this forum will evolve away from that as the events in question recede over time. They're still relatively fresh and raw, though much less so than a month ago, and the tempo and focus on this forum seems to be calmer as a result, so I think there's reason to hope that we'll continue to move that way. Just between us, I might argue that any events "contribut[ing] to their demise" started with their actions, not our reactions... and that I doubt we have the power to put much of a dent in their sales - frankly, I continue to be a customer, though on a much more limited basis, and no one here questions the quality of their work - far from it. Again - I think you're right about tone, but I'm more optimistic about the way this forum is likely to develop.

In other words, something social, that isn't strictly dedicated either to technical support or to pure information exchange. A bit of an Internet dating site, if you will...
I don't know what "Orbx" flying is (other than akin to bush flying for lack of a better analogy), but what ever it is, please remember that we are willing to assist in anyway we can (short of setting up an Internet "dating" service, that is).However, if I were to take a stab at what "Orbx" flying is, I would suggest that it is taking a bit of freshly minted, high resolution and detailed scenery, and exploring every square kilometer of it - sharing that experience with like minded simulation enthusiasts in a place (forum) you can call "home". I kind of think of it as being "Norm" and the home is "Cheers", if you catch my drift (okay, if you don't, it's where "everyone knows your name"). And when you walk through the front door, everyone yells out "Heh Norm!"

And when you walk through the front door, everyone yells out "Heh Norm!"
Nawhhhm!!!Tom, I think that's exactly it. It is bush flying, but it's about exploring the scenery and it's also colored by the emotional pull of the scenery - airports that become destinations, like Emma Field did, and before that the Georender airports. Very much a club or club-like thing... or at the very least an excellent bar!

I don't know about you lot but this sub forum feels like 'home' now. The trouble is that things I would want to post in here have to be posted elsewhere. As per the screenshots that were posted here a while ago. Not complaining, it's just the nature of the beast.BTW Bay Tower's RV7 is due for release on the 25th :(

Yep - it's next to my FSX forum, and I split the day between the two, as you say - it's "home". Just put all those loverly RV shots into a "DropBox" folder on your desktop, Ronald! Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Rt-click on it, "Copy public link" - paste that into the forum post and "Boom" - it's there. Personally - if that were the way it was done on the forums - I'd see a heck of a lot more pics than I do right now. I never, ever go to any "screenshots" forum. Never. If you put a link on this forum - I'd click it.https://www.dropbox.com/

@Marith - good points, but I suspect that this forum will evolve away from that as the events in question recede over time. They're still relatively fresh and raw, though much less so than a month ago, and the tempo and focus on this forum seems to be calmer as a result, so I think there's reason to hope that we'll continue to move that way. Just between us, I might argue that any events "contribut[ing] to their demise" started with their actions, not our reactions... and that I doubt we have the power to put much of a dent in their sales - frankly, I continue to be a customer, though on a much more limited basis, and no one here questions the quality of their work - far from it. Again - I think you're right about tone, but I'm more optimistic about the way this forum is likely to develop.
+1