Sign in to follow this  
Pilots Report

Real Pilot, maybe?

Hi all..Just curious to know, that if you could have your time again, would you of chosen to become a real pilot, based on what you know now?...I know I would have. :(

That's a tough question because I am passionate about flying. BUT! I would rather make enough money to own my own jet and fly it around than fly it for living.

This is a great question and one I ask myself (and my wife asks me) each time I spend two or more hours in front of my PC flying the NGX. And in all honesty, I think how my life would have been different and what I have now, and for me I truly don't think it would have been worth it. That's not to say I don't have the utmost respect for what the guys/gals flying the heavy metal are doing. It's just that at times I would think being a commercial pilot could be quite mundane. If I was to have become a RW pilot and do it for a living, I really think that what the folks up in Alaska (think: Flying Wild Alaska on Discovery Channel here in the USA) do day in and day out would be appealing due to the constant challenge. If you fly large commercial aircraft around the US, it's not every day that you are really challenged like those guys appear to be in one form or another.Bottom line...I think about major commercial airline pilots and I very much equate that to like being a physician. In order to do it correctly and safely, you have to be dedicated 100% to your job. In a lot of cases, your job comes before your life and I personally like having a life at home with my family. Again, no knock against pilots (or physicians for that matter) and I hold those professions in highest regard.One day I do wish to earn a PPL...let's say it's on the bucket list. But I don't have any regrets of the life I've chosen.

RW flying is fun. Flying for a living has a lot of issues though..
How?

Well, for one, the entry level pay is abysmal. It's embarrassing really what the airlines get away with. Second, there are times when it's really nice to say, "I'm not comfortable flying today", and just leave the plane tied down. Commercial guys just can't do that.

Yes I would. Although it would have to involve a lottery win of some sort, I would persue commericial aviation full time, paying as much as it took.

Well, for one, the entry level pay is abysmal. It's embarrassing really what the airlines get away with. Second, there are times when it's really nice to say, "I'm not comfortable flying today", and just leave the plane tied down. Commercial guys just can't do that.
airline-pilot-salary.jpg

airline-pilot-salary.jpg
Excellent point.... except that you are not going to be hired by those airlines until your are flying for at least 10 years. For true starting pay, look at a regional... so take those starting numbers, and subtract around 20 grand. And hey, that $21000 you can make your first year is more than you would have the year before as a CFI! And dont forget the crushing debt from paying for those first few hundred hours out of pocket. And the debt from college. Yeah... hope you like food stamps.In all seriousness, I desperately wanted to become a commercial pilot. But after about a week of looking at it, I realized what I really wanted (and want, still) to do is become a commercial pilot in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s. Edited by dm123

Daniel Miller

Yeah, but... can you get into that companies as a fresh F/O?Companies like Comair, ASA, Chautaqua and similar are more of a new pilots daily bread, and when I looked at salaries in those... that would be a pretty small salary here, in one of Europes cheapest corners...edit:Daniel, or become a commercial pilot somewhere out of the USA... I hear Asian airlines are hiring...

Edited by Fabo

Excellent point.... except that you are not going to be hired by those airlines until your are flying for at least 10 years. For true starting pay, look at a regional... so take those starting numbers, and subtract around 20 grand. And hey, that $21000 you can make your first year is more than you would have the year before as a CFI! And dont forget the crushing debt from paying for those first few hundred hours out of pocket. And the debt from college. Yeah... hope you like food stamps.In all seriousness, I desperately wanted to become a commercial pilot. But after about a week of looking at it, I realized what I really wanted (and want, still) to do is become a commercial pilot in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s.
Just like you said, you start off in the regional airlines, them move up. I have a friend that is currently in Houston doing work experience for Continental Express/Connection. With this, he gets free training (in some instances, he's even paid) and work experience and gets a feel of how it is to be in this field.

Several pilots I know at majors would tell you that the flying itself is great and they still love it but that they absolutely hate the business and political side of it. They've been run through the wringer so many times now with contract disputes, bankruptcies that took away retirement pensions and investments, being put on reserve status after 25+ years etc - the list is pretty endless unfortunately. And then yeah, the stuff with starting out today is just ridiculous - you're almost below the poverty line at some of the regionals - many regional pilots have to work second and third jobs while not flying just to make ends meet.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

you're almost below the poverty line at some of the regionals - many regional pilots have to work second and third jobs while not flying just to make ends meet.
I've heard of airlines getting upset for pilots wearing their uniforms in the Social Security Office... While applying for food stamps.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

It's shameful... But unfortunately it's also supply and demand. Consider how plain *cool *it is to be a captain. Heck, how much of our free time and money to we spend pretending to be one!? I know none of you are sitting at home pretending to have my job lol. As a result, the regionals can pay sub par dollars and have a long list of folks willing to pay their dues. Youd almost need to be a trust fund baby hahah.

It's shameful... But unfortunately it's also supply and demand. Consider how plain *cool *it is to be a captain. Heck, how much of our free time and money to we spend pretending to be one!? I know none of you are sitting at home pretending to have my job lol. As a result, the regionals can pay sub par dollars and have a long list of folks willing to pay their dues. Youd almost need to be a trust fund baby hahah.
On the contrary, I enjoy using my FO Seat EZDok camera in the NGX! Besides, I'm quite comfortable in the right seat now. :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules