Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Dummy FSX folder when installing addons

I've heard that some use a dummy folder (an extra almost empty FSX folder) when installing certain addons to check what files are added to FSX. I am aware that some addons will have wrong registry entries etc. if you do this, but I find it interesting nevertheless.So my question is, what files and folders do you need to include in (copy over to) the dummy folder. I guess FSX.exe needs to be there?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It really depend on the installer. There is no simple answer. Back in the days when using port-overs from FS9, I created only FSX folder without a files. Then move gauges to FSX's actual gauges, Aircfaft folder to SimObjectsAirplanes and so on.The best technique to check what was changed during the instalation IMO. Plus, I do the backups every time I install something (Norton Ghost incremental backup)

Guest jahman
some use a dummy folder (an extra almost empty FSX folder) when installing certain addons to check what files are added to FSX
This is brilliant!Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

Just rename your Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder something like Microsoft Flight Simulator X.off and make a new Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder. This way the registry still sees the same folder and when you delete the temporary one and rename back your real FSX folder nothing has essentially changed. You may need an fsx.exe to bluff the installer, I normally just make a new text document and rename it fsx.exe.Jim

I always install to a new folder on my desktop so I can see exactly what the files are. I then take out the ugliest repaints (after looking for any shared files first) and just keep what I want. I can't stand having 20 paints of the same model and prune it down to two or three at the most. Sometimes an installer doesn't give you the option and justs installs into FSX straight away but not many these days. I've never had any problems doing it that way.

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Thanks folks! Great replies!I find this especially useful for creating my own zip-files of various freeware that takes a lot of time to install. For instance a scenery might consist of mesh, landclass and airports made from many different authors. It is a pain to reinstall these. Instead I want to install everyting in a dummy folder, make a zip file, then install the complete package to the real FSX folder. That way I am sure that effects, gauges etc. are also included.Also there are some developers I don't fully trust, so I like to see what is added where.

Edited by simmerhead

Also there are some developers I don't fully trust, so I like to see what is added where.
You and me both!You will find that if you install to an empty new folder the subfolders will be created. Just remember to let it overwrite older copies of shared files if there are any (effects and so on if you have other add-ons by the same developer) when you copy it all over.I am much happier to do this for aircraft rather than for scenery by the way but I would only install scenery from developers I have 100% faith in anyway.

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Instead I want to install everyting in a dummy folder, make a zip file, then install the complete package to the real FSX folder. That way I am sure that effects, gauges etc. are also included.
That's a good plan, I do that also with certain things, in fact for FS9 I wrote a massive batch file "manager" that used winzip's command line interface to extract certain .zip files based on certain menu choices. That stupid manager grew over the years and ultimately had the capability of saving and installing different FS9.cfg "profiles", sky texture options, clouds (with imagetool conversions on the fly), runway textures, etc. It would even randomize the splash screen whenever it changed something, and then it used nconvert.exe to imprint the splash screen in use with a list of the currently installed options. It was cool, sorta fun, but I left it on my old computer and haven't rebuilt anything similar for use in FSX yet.Jim Edited by Jim Robinson

Holy cow Jim! That must have been one helluva setup! I haven't written a batch file since the pre Windows days :)

Is there a way for Windows Explorer to search out recently added and/or changed files in the FSX folder and sub-folders?

BTW. I don't use a dummy folder much anymore. I have a laptop to download and install addons were my third FSX copy resides.

Well, umm, how about a batch file :smile:

I use xcopy to do backups, it checks filedates and only copies files that have been changed since the last backup. The catch is you have to have something for it to reference, in my case the reference is the backup folder itself.

If for example, say you wanted to check for changed or non-default files within your FSX installation. You'd need a virgin installation (on another drive or folder) for xcopy to use as a reference first, if you don't have that already you could rename your FSX folder, reinstall the sim + Accel, and then copy that installation to an external hard drive or something, say G:\MSFS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Here's a batch script that would output a .txt file listing any changed or added file within your FSX installation:

set src=C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
set dest=G:\MSFS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

xcopy "%src%" "%dest%" /c /e /r /D /y /i /l > xcopy.txt

notepad xcopy.txt

Works from any folder, of course you'd need to make sure the "src=" and "dest=" paths are correct. Note that in this case no files would actually be copied, the "/l" switch tells xcopy to only check and report, and the "> xcopy.txt" directs the report output to a .txt file. If you wanted to actually copy the files (as in my case using xcopy for backup purposes) just remove the "/l" switch and cut it loose.

Jim

Well, umm, how about a batch file :smile:

I use xcopy to do backups, it checks filedates and only copies files that have been changed since the last backup. The catch is you have to have something for it to reference, in my case the reference is the backup folder itself.

If for example, say you wanted to check for changed or non-default files within your FSX installation. You'd need a virgin installation (on another drive or folder) for xcopy to use as a reference first, if you don't have that already you could rename your FSX folder, reinstall the sim + Accel, and then copy that installation to an external hard drive or something, say G:\MSFS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

Here's a batch script that would output a .txt file listing any changed or added file within your FSX installation:

set src=C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
set dest=G:\MSFS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

xcopy "%src%" "%dest%" /c /e /r /D /y /i /l > xcopy.txt

notepad xcopy.txt

Works from any folder, of course you'd need to make sure the "src=" and "dest=" paths are correct. Note that in this case no files would actually be copied, the "/l" switch tells xcopy to only check and report, and the "> xcopy.txt" directs the report output to a .txt file. If you wanted to actually copy the files (as in my case using xcopy for backup purposes) just remove the "/l" switch and cut it loose.

Jim

Cool! Thanks a lot Jim.