Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Aerosoft AES VS FSDreamTeam GSX

AES VS GSX  

476 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Aerosoft AES
    • FSDreamTeam Ground Services X

You'll get a marshaller walking out with the push back truck in both products.
So two guys walking side by side? Oh, yeah, and pushback trucks also? If that's the case I don't see this as a solution.
GSX works on the 95% of FSX detailed default, and 3rd party airports, that support FSX animated jetways, vs the 3rd party static/AES airports in the remaining 5%. So if you ask me, It's these that are the odd man out now! It's going to be very hard for Aerosoft to keep up now, and I don't know how they'll be able to maintain the pricing structure for AES much longer! While I understand from the developers standpoint the amount of work for each airport makes it necessary, from many consumers standpoint AES just isn't cost effective anymore, at current pricing!!
I agree about pricing. But I'm not insterested in default airports at all.. I bought about 40 payware airports so far and those are the ones I fly. If they have AES support I bought that too. Edited by 0Artur0

You would only instruct one product to commence push back, so you will only get one instance of each.

Also I often came across planes that jumped erratically up and down during pushback. There is a setting in the aircraft.cfg that can be tuned to fix that, though.
I get this sometimes. I thought it was to do with EZCA, but if it is AES pushback and can be fixed with an aircraft.cfg edit, can you tell me what that fix is, please?Thanks,Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I think he was referring to the 'Repair for Push' button in the AES config tool, Pete. It helps on most jumpy planes.repairz.jpg

Hi,I just thought I'd share some of my impressions of GSX and compare it to AES:I have been waiting for GSX impatiently ever since it was announced on the FSDT forums. I own all other FSDT products (with the exception on POI) as well as many Aerosoft titles, and have used AES for 5 years now (first on FS9 then on FSX). When GSX came out yesterday I was probably one of the first non-beta people to install it, and I have tried it at a number of FSDT sceneries as well as the Aerosoft Munich scenery.My first impressions were really good - the animations and models look pretty good, although I have to say that I prefer the AES models that were updated in the latest version (2.21 I think). Unfortunately after bit of testing I am no longer so sure. What follows is a direct comparison between the two contenders (in the spirit of this thread).GatesGSX: n/a: Probably the biggest issue I have with GSX is that it doesn't do a thing about the gates. My experience with the FSX gates is erratic at best. Either they sink into the ground, connect in some wired sideways angle, or stop meters/yards away from the plane. Yesterday when testing GSX in FSDT's KFLL I even had a gate of the position to my right respond to CTRL-J and launch itself through my beloved NGX . The other big issue is of course that some of the best scenery designers don't bother with FSX animated jetways at all (Flytampa, some (all?) ORBX sceneries, plenty of Aerosoft one...the list goes on).AES: Full marks here, this is ASE's party piece. Oliver hand makes each one, and provided the intelliscene.cfg is correct all will work well. I haven't had memorable issues in 5 years.Advantage: AESParking Guidance (Systems)i.e. automatic docking guides or marshalers.GSX: As far as I have seen automatic docking guides are only added to FSDT sceneries, and it's a one size fits all. In reality there are many different systems. GSX models one (fictional) system.I also noticed that if a scenery comes with automatic docking guides (Munich) GSX will ignore that an still put a marshaller behind it as well.What is nice is that GSX gives you some simple parking feedback as was the case with the YouPark feature FSDT had previously. As far as marshalling is concerned, I'd say that both programs work equally well, although the animations of GSX are smoother in my eyes.AES: AES seems to model whatever is used at an airport in reality, wether it's a radar guided system with dot matrix display (Munich) or simple mirror system (some terminals in Heathrow).Advantage: AESServiceGSX: Well animated vehicles will interact with your airplane (tell you which doors to open when, open the FSX fuel and payload dialog when the fuel truck arrives). All vehicles have animated drivers. A paint kit will be available soonish apparently, and one can specify which repaint will appear at which airport and even gate (uses FSX AI parking codes apparently). I also love the bag loading animations and the fact that vehicles don't spawn directly next to your plane in plain view, but use the AFCAD to drive to your position. That gets a little wired when vehicles drive through taxing aircraft though. I also noticed that there isn't a whole lot of variety in the vehicles, which shows when you are in Europe. That U.S. style fuel truck and the roundish bus just seem out of place here.AES: Until very recently this is where ASE showed it's age - vehicles were poorly animated and the textures were just a little grainy. AES was of course a FS9 only product until version 2 came around. The new upgrade has fixed this issue just in time it seems (competition is a good thing, right?): Vehicles now have animated drivers (mostly anyway, the rest is apparently coming in the next updates), and even a paint kit is supposed to be coming. Unfortunately the updated vehicles also mean that some of the vehicle variety that existed until recently now is gone. I have only seen 2 different bus types as of late. Apparently more will come back with more updates. What is still a little ugly is that vehicles will just pop up close to you and disappear after driving only a few meters. I can live with that though. Also worth mentioning is that AES has deicing trucks. Nice for those cold winter days.Advantage: Tough call but I'd give it to GSX if you are in North America and to AES if you do most of your flying in Europe. Generally GSX has the smoother animations and better looking people though.PushbackGSX: My first attempt of a push back in GSX went very well and I love the way the aircraft tires and the nose wheel steering work. Strangely the truck and ramp agent will stand in the aircraft path until you release the parking brake well after engine start. Pretty daring ;-)Unfortunately I came across some issues. It seems that GSX will push you into the terminal building if you are parked right along side it. I have not come across a situation where GSX offers a "pull on blocks" manoeuvre or pulls me (forward) away from the terminal so far, but I haven't been everywhere yet.AES: Rain and sun on this score: AES always did something strange when it comes to pushback: The plane moves, but the tires don't spin and the nosse wheel stays straight at all times. It seems to me a kind of "slew" rather then actual push. Also I ofter came across planes that jumped erratically up and down during pushback. There is a setting in the aircraft.cfg that can be tuned to fix that, though.What is very nice though is that AES will push fairly realistically: If you are to close to a terminal building you will be pulled forward until you are in no danger to blast equipment and people around when you engage taxi thrust. Also you will be offered a "pull on blocks" manoeuvre, where that is applicable in real live.Advantage: GSX on looks, AES on function - a tie.PriceGSX: All FSDT airports as well as Arerosoft's Munich and Flightbeam's SFO are free! That is excellent customer service in my book. The rest of the world will set you back $40. The rest of the world you say? Yes - every airport in the world will have GSX support. Nice. But there is a little catch. FSDT have done something to their scenery/GSX configs to make sure that they work well together. I'm not sure what they have done, but they mention it in the manual (or their forum - not sure right now). There is no promise for some of that detailing to come to other airports. The airports AFCAD will determine how GSX will interact with you. I'm not sure just how big of deal that turns out to be, but the example of the marshaller guiding me in right under the automated docking system in Munich shows that some airports require adjustments. Will you get those? I don't know. Still it is pretty cool to finally get some service at ORBX's airports (all-though they are apparently working on their own "service system") and some of the other places AES hasn't touched.AES: The credit system means that you can be anywhere from 0 to 5 credits. With 10 credits costing $17 to $19 (inside the EU) that can get expensive fast! Sure you get some bonus credits when you own more then 3 credit packs, but If you wanted AES support in all supported airports you'd be looking at hundreds of dollars. Mind you if you really owned very supported scenery you'd have spend several thousands already. Nonetheless: If you only plan on flying to a place rarely and/or the scenery is not a favourite purchase, you'd think twice before dropping up to an extra $9.50 for AES support. The other issue is: The list of supported airports is long and ever growing, but most airports in the FSX world are not on it. Most good pay ware and some very good freeware is though. see: http://www.aerosoft....sairports.html.Advantage: GSX!Conclusion:GSX has some great potential and is you only option in many places, but I have to say that I will keep AES and buy more credits (which I have held of doing because I knew GSX was coming). Where is is available I just prefer it. I'm still on the fence wether I'll buy GSX, but I'm happy that my FSDT airports are supported out of the box, at no extra cost.
Yep. I'm going to stay with AES so far.

Dave P. Woycek

Yep. I'm going to stay with AES so far.
Same here. I don't think that the one size fits all mentality will work. There are hundreds of different possible configurations so I think that AES will stay with me too. Edited by benorg

I'm a huge n00b for saying this, but could someone explain what the term "animated jetways" means? I understand what a jetway is ofc, but what I don't understand is the "animated" part... default FSX jetways are animated in the sense that they move and connect with your plane, aren't they? So what's the difference...?

I'm a huge n00b for saying this, but could someone explain what the term "animated jetways" means? I understand what a jetway is ofc, but what I don't understand is the "animated" part... default FSX jetways are animated in the sense that they move and connect with your plane, aren't they? So what's the difference...?
I am glad you asked, as I was wondering the same.I am very interested in this program, just trying to figure out if it would be for me as I currently only use default FSX airports, and fly mainly the default 737...

Guys please don't forget you can try out gsx yourself as well as there scenery's in demo mode just download them at there website. http://www.fsdreamteam.com

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

I think it's a bit too early for a poll. GSX has been out what, 2 days? And AES for years. It's going to take a while to shake down the positive and negatives for the GSX product, and a poll two days after its release will tend to catch all the post-release hype rather than objective evaluations. Just my take, but I will be testing the demo. There are things I like more about AES, but price is definitely not one of them.

- Aaron

I think it's a bit too early for a poll. GSX has been out what, 2 days? And AES for years. It's going to take a while to shake down the positive and negatives for the GSX product, and a poll two days after its release will tend to catch all the post-release hype rather than objective evaluations. Just my take, but I will be testing the demo. There are things I like more about AES, but price is definitely not one of them.
Have you read the entire thread? I'd say the initial 10 post about sum it up.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I think he was referring to the 'Repair for Push' button in the AES config tool, Pete. It helps on most jumpy planes.
Wow! When did that appear? Never noticed it. Thanks -- I'll try it!Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Have you read the entire thread? I'd say the initial 10 post about sum it up.
I have read the entire thread. I make is a habit not to reply to threads I haven't read. I am also looking at the voting results, which is basically the whole point of this thread originally if I'm interpreting properly, and my response to that stands. Picking one over the other as the voting options indicate will take more than two days of testing.

- Aaron

I'm a huge n00b for saying this, but could someone explain what the term "animated jetways" means?
You are right, the animated part is the default FSX feature. However, some addon airports don't use it, so you may get a very detailed airport but lose those default features. Don't ask me why this happens, I'm no scenery dev so I can't tell about the quirks involved to get this feature running on a nice terminal building.While FSDT airports always came with the option to either use the default animated jetways and the ones AES brings, some other scenery had static jetways as 'default' and only the additional cost of the AES option then enabled them to give you moving parts.As said, I don't know the technical background, but I always appreciated an addon airport coming with moving jetways out of the box. No extra cost involved. To play fair, the extra AES money also added some more features of course.

You are right, the animated part is the default FSX feature. However, some addon airports don't use it, so you may get a very detailed airport but lose those default features. Don't ask me why this happens, I'm no scenery dev so I can't tell about the quirks involved to get this feature running on a nice terminal building.While FSDT airports always came with the option to either use the default animated jetways and the ones AES brings, some other scenery had static jetways as 'default' and only the additional cost of the AES option then enabled them to give you moving parts.As said, I don't know the technical background, but I always appreciated an addon airport coming with moving jetways out of the box. No extra cost involved. To play fair, the extra AES money also added some more features of course.
Thanks for that. And is there any indication that GSX will incorporate this in the future? Hardly a dealbreaker, but still, moving jetways are cool...