Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Aerosoft AES VS FSDreamTeam GSX

AES VS GSX  

478 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Aerosoft AES
    • FSDreamTeam Ground Services X

I think it's a bit too early for a poll. GSX has been out what, 2 days? And AES for years. It's going to take a while to shake down the positive and negatives for the GSX product, and a poll two days after its release will tend to catch all the post-release hype rather than objective evaluations. Just my take, but I will be testing the demo. There are things I like more about AES, but price is definitely not one of them.
Ditto guys. Take a break, breath enjoy both products. Give GSX time to mature to what AES is now. A least that's what i'm doing. Glad to have 2 options.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I ended up using both AES and GSX. They both have their pros and cons as reviewed very nicely at the start of this thread. Reason I decided to use both is I already bought quite a lot of AES credits and I don't want these to be "wasted" but still I don't want to miss out on the potential of GSX and what it already offers like superb baggage handling not to mention what I'm sure it will offer in coming versions and upgrades.So...what I did was to go through all my addon airports to find of which of them have jetways that will work with GSX (CTRL-J operated jetways) and then I disabled all these in the AES Help. Then I did the opposite in GSX, disabled all of my addon airport that won't let you manually control the jetways.The last thing I did was to assign both program's shortcuts for bringing up their menus (CTRL F12 and CTRL SHIFT W) to the same button on my CH yoke. By doing this I will only get the menu for the program that I decided should be active for that specific airport without me having to remember this for every airport myself.What else I find good with using both programs like this is that will give me even more variation closer to how it is IRL depending on what country/airport you fly to.

Richard Åsberg

so what if some jetways don't movethe choice is clear for me...why pay hundreds of dollars for AES when $40 to GSX gets me worldwide coverage?that alone makes it better then AES for meand GSX still has room to develop and expand. eventually it will have more features then AES at every airport for the same flat pricewinner. i vote GSX all the way

The main problem using GSX at airport with static jetways or jetways that don't use the standard CTRL-J key combination is when you park at one of those gates and stairs are placed also at the left front door squeezed in between the a/c and the jetway...doesn't look all that good...However I'm with you and guess most are, why would you pay lots of $ for only a couple of specific airports when you can have almost as good services for any airport without spending a fortune so whatever happens I think the future for AES currently looks a bit shaky unless they come up with some kind of a new approach selling their product/credits.

Richard Åsberg

Cost really doesn't matter for a lot of people when you consider that the price for AES has already been spent. One thing people may not know - when you switch from FS9 to FSX and uninstall FS9, all of your credits get freed up so you can reassign them to FSX products. Because of that, I only recently had to begin buying credit packs again. In addition, if every scenery I purchased came with the features offered by AES (along with consistency between developers), I would gladly pay the $1 - $5 more per scenery package for the added features.To me, moving jetways are a big deal and it is exactly where the price difference comes in between packages. If you look at the AES credits needed for each airport, ones without jetways are typically 0-1 credits for activation.Don't get me wrong, GSX looks like a great product and I am looking forward to using it. Still, with the amount of money thrown around with this hobby, $45/ year doesn't seem like that much cash considering what you get with AES. Since I transferred so many credits over from FS9, my actual total expense over the last 2 years has been about $30.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I don't have any trouble with AES, but I think your calculations are a bit optimistic, Jeff.

Since I transferred so many credits over from FS9, my actual total expense over the last 2 years has been about $30.
Didn't you buy the ones for FS9? Well, I guess you've used money for that. So the 'total expense over the last 2 years has been about $30' does not fit into the picture your wallet may offer.For instance, If I enable KMIA and KLAX in AES, 10 credits are gone. That's 16 Dollars for two airports. I get very precise pushback routes and also some nice runway textures for all kind of conditions, plus the moving jetways of course. But there's no way to choose 'only jetways, please' to save some credits. So you end up with one credit pack being gone. After having bought e. g. two packs, your next one will exceed the price of GSX on the overall money spent.While some AES airports come for free or just one credit, most major locations (where people may run addon airports in the first place) give you a credit cost of 5.As a strange matter of fact, some Aerosoft airports came with either motionless jetways or the money option to run AES on them. FS DreamTeam airports always supported either the default method or the fancy one from AES.I really appreciate the frequent updates for AES and I think that the author is a competent guy, but seeing GSX supporting 26.000 airports out of the box, including the addon ones which will never see AES, is quite a point to think about. True, GSX may have to add the jetway option for those. Maybe it does pretty soon.Personally, my AES stuff is running and GSX is disabled via that ini file at those places. Peaceful coexistence, so to speak. But the rest of the mentioned 26.000 airports received a nice upgrade for that one time payment on GSX. I think both products will improve further, so there's plenty of benefit to expect for all users. :( Edited by CoolP

Aes is now most attractive to me for addon airports that have static jetways only.But as i like to fly to a large number of different airports, gsx is an obvious buy. For the cost of one addon airport I upgrade my whole airside world. Splendid!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I am still with AESFor GSX do you need to set the default fsx setting for airport vehicles to on?Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I am still with AESFor GSX do you need to set the default fsx setting for airport vehicles to on?Alex
Certainly not Alex. In fact Fsuipc will delete them around your aircraft.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi guys, sorry for the bump but its related,

I am amazed about the quality and the cleverness in GSX. How the pushback truck pushes back on the taxi lines amazing..

Do any of you see a notable performance hit when using GSX though?!

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Nah, GSX is great. I don't really see a performance hit with it, and I much prefer the fact that it is a one payment deal too.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Do any of you see a notable performance hit when using GSX though?

No performance hit at all. Consider the bulk of the animations that it performs are when you are loading/unloading or catering, of which all are done when parked.

Plus GSX isnt doing anthing when your on approach so no FPS hit there.

I'd say the FPS hit if any, would be equal to that of one AI aircraft.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

As Jim stated. GSX uses it's own DLL outside of FSX, that is why the footprint is so small, within FSX.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Question: During pushback, how does GSX handle the situation where ATC advises, "Orbit 737 hold position, caution other traffic" when maybe another AI plane or other airport vehicle is approaching?

In such a situation, does GSX recognise this and momentarily stop the pushback to wait for the plane/vehicle to safely pass? Or, does it ignore it and continue regardless? Or, perhaps the pilot (me) has to do something to initiate a temporary stop? Etc etc.

Regards,

Freddy