Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

Anyone running FSX on an AMD A-series chip?

Getting married soon and won't be able to justify a decent PC again for some number of years as we save for a house, hoping to build something low-cost but high enough performance to run FSX with a decent amount of add-ons. I know full well that AMD chips do not offer the same level of performance as Intel chips, neither does AMD's integrated graphics offer the same level of performance as a discrete graphics card, but that is basically my only choice. I do not expect to run the highest graphics or scenery settings but do want to enjoy complex aircraft with a fair level of scenery complexity to enjoy my add-on sceneries. My current system is an Athlon 64 3400+ (socket 754) w/1.5GB RAM and an X800 XL graphics card. FSX and this machine will never cross paths. I've already got a fair amount of FSX add-ons and really want to fly the NGX, so not terribly interested in FS9. Bottom line: please respond to this post if you own an AMD A-series chip and are running FSX. Otherwise, I kindly ask you to withhold your speculative responses. Thanks in advance!

Congrats Max!The A8 3950 is like an Athlon II 640 + HD6570If you could stretch for an I3 2100 + GTS250 + H61 / H67 (about an extra $mega_shok.gif) that would run FSX / NGX much better

I run FSX happily on a quad-core Phenom II Athlon. I never bought into the Intel hype; for what they charge for the "premium of Intel" I can do better and purchase better and more RAM, video, etc.My specs are all below in signature.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Congratz!AMD runs okay for FSX. You will be able to run FSX at moderate settings with a decent amount of traffic and complex scenery at 20-30FPS.

The CPU is ok, but the integrated graphics unit, as great as it is for an IGP, is not that powerful.I was wrong, it's not a 6570 but a 6550D. That's in the A8-38xx top of the series.I have no experience with a card like that, so will let someone with 1st hand info chime in, but I doubt it will be up to the job especially with clouds

Hi Guys

Sorry to jump on another post. Please can you help me out. I want to use FS X Deluxe and wondered if this machine is ok. I have the following spec on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

- AMD A6 3500 Triple Core 2.1GHz

- 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD

- DVD Writer

- AMD Radeon 6530D

The 6530D will also use up to 4gb i have been told.

Will this machine be ok? I hope so, because i've already ordered FSX and a new joystick. LOL.

Thanks

Hi Guys

Sorry to jump on another post. Please can you help me out. I want to use FS X Deluxe and wondered if this machine is ok. I have the following spec on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

- AMD A6 3500 Triple Core 2.1GHz

- 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD

- DVD Writer

- AMD Radeon 6530D

The 6530D will also use up to 4gb i have been told.

Will this machine be ok? I hope so, because i've already ordered FSX and a new joystick. LOL.

Thanks

Have you already ordered this system?

Friends don't let friends run AMDs. :Just Kidding:

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Friends don't let friends run AMDs. :Just Kidding:

:LMAO: :LMAO:

Oh yeah, I remember this post. Guess I'm pretty lucky not to have to worry about this anymore :D

Unfortunately, by the sounds of it, i already have this system.

Not expecting miracles, but honestly, what do u think.

Cheers Guys

Pete

P.S Glad i can give you a laugh. LOL

Not laughing at you mate, laughing at my own situation. Just thankful I have a system capable of running FSX as I like.

Oh no, no offense taken or meant lol.

I have wanted a flight sim for ages and am dying for this to work. lol.

I'm in the same boat. lol.

I have the system, the joystick and the game is on its way. I can guarantee i will put the disk in and my machine will just let out a huge sigh and say to me "yeah whatever mate" and explode. lol.

Hope you managed to get sorted on your budget and hope married life is treating you well.

Pete

I run FSX happily on a quad-core Phenom II Athlon. I never bought into the Intel hype; for what they charge for the "premium of Intel" I can do better and purchase better and more RAM, video, etc.My specs are all below in signature.

How did you tweak your FSX and your PC? I got about near the same specs as you, but I got a FSX-Slideshow when I try to run it with some nice settings, not the nowest and not the maxed.

It is kind of chaotic finding the right tweaks here...