Sign in to follow this  
dmwalker

Where is Waypoint W015

Does anyone have information about waypoint W015 in the North Atlantic? I think it may be the same as 6215N. It is shown in the ITVV video of Virgin Atlantic flight EGLL to KSFO and somewhere between RIBEL and 6520N.

Dugald Walker

Maybe it is part of the North Atlantic Tracks NATS.... i which case its lattitude will vary depending on which NAT you are flyingPeter

Peter Schluter

Open the wpnavfix.txt file with a text editor and search for that string, I doubt you will find it but maybe it's based on the grid system like the Kxxxx fixes in the US.

Dan Downs KCRP

I presume all the possible latitude/longitude combinations necessary for oceanic crossings would be in the database. I had already searched the wpnavfix.txt file and there is no W015 but there is a full range of 6xxxN fixes. As the NavData shown on the Virgin 747 CDU is dated October - November 2000, is it possible that W015 has been obsoleted? Recent VatSim routes don't show anything between waypoints RATSU (61N, 10W) and 6520N.

Dugald Walker

Does anyone have information about waypoint W015 in the North Atlantic? I think it may be the same as 6215N. It is shown in the ITVV video of Virgin Atlantic flight EGLL to KSFO and somewhere between RIBEL and 6520N.
W015 sounds like an airway in the UK. Bill Bridges

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

That naming convention is wrong for a primary waypoint. Primary waypoints are named with five characters ending in a letter [a~z]. VORs and NDB's are named with three characters, again ending with a letter. This is necessary so the FMC can create derived waypoints by appending a bearing (in digits) to the end of a primary waypoint, which never ends in a digit.Are you certain they were not talking about an airway?

W015 is shown as a point on the route line with a time of 1252Z at 1hr 12mins in the ITVV video.6520N is the next point at 173nm and time 1314Z so W015 is fairly close to Iceland.

Dugald Walker

If you look at the track and distance, W015 is approx on 153°, 178NM from 6520N. Which corresponds almost perfectly with 6315N. Maybe W015 is just a special name in Virgin's 744's fixes database for 6315N. It may also be a custom waypoint, created for this flight.

I wondered if W015 could be a custom waypoint but, if it is the same as 6315N, why not just use 6315N? The only thing is the Virgin database is dated October 5 - November 2, 2000, whereas mine is dated July 28 - August 24, 2011. I suppose I could try asking Virgin Atlantic.

Dugald Walker