Sign in to follow this  

Interesting read for those who have their hope set on P3D

Check out what PMDG's Robert has to say about PMDG and P3D (and P3D in general):http://forum.avsim.n...ew-other-items/(Search for 'PMDG Development for Prepar3d').Makes you want to think again before spending money on side-by-side-licenses from other developers (and P3D itself, obviously). Since a lot of people think about PMDG when they say 'fight sim', this might well mean the end for consumer interest in P3D...?

Edited by Guest

Makes you want to think again before spending money on side-by-side-licenses from other developers (and P3D itself, obviously). Since a lot of people think about PMDG when they say 'fight sim', this might well mean the end for consumer interest in P3D...?
I have known this was coming all along. P3D is MADE FOR COMMERCIAL USE. People can't seem to wrap their heads around that. It is stated very clearly in the EULA.Anyways, them talking about XP10 gets me excited and uneasy at the same time....

Considering the idea that PMDG works closely with Boeing. Have you thought of the idea that Lockheed Martin is in direct competition with Boeing and that if a company like PMDG opens up fully to support a LM product that it may upset their contact at Boeing?Just a thoughtJB

I have known this was coming all along. P3D is MADE FOR COMMERCIAL USE. People can't seem to wrap their heads around that. It is stated very clearly in the EULA.Anyways, them talking about XP10 gets me excited and uneasy at the same time....
Please (please!) try to keep the word EULA out of this topic since it is forbidden to talk about it. I posted this topic because I also saw this coming and I always warned people not to spend too much time and money in P3D because it's not a consumer sim. It could be USED as such but the future was uncertain. The decision made by PMDG might well mean a big step towards the ending that uncertainty...
Considering the idea that PMDG works closely with Boeing. Have you thought of the idea that Lockheed Martin is in direct competition with Boeing and that if a company like PMDG opens up fully to support a LM product that it may upset their contact at Boeing?Just a thoughtJB
Don't think so. Boeing and LM work together very well in real life btw...

Don't think so. Boeing and LM work together very well in real life btw...
Ok, then disregard my above statement.JB

Hi,PMDG is not the only developer in town, nor are they (in-and-of-themselves) going to cause the success and/or failure of P3D, if they do not want to support P3D so be it. I'll keep using P3D until a viable replacement emerges, it may even be Xplane. With that said, Xplane is not ready for prime time, it was made even worse with this viable, believable, madup, imagenary, plausable and/or what ever you want to call it world. Until then, P3D is my sim of choice.Anything can happen in the future, as of today I have everything I need to enjoy day-to-day, hour-by-hour flight sim operations.I hope Xplane emerges as the clear flightsim leader in the future, it will be a cheaper alternative to P3D, but if it remains as a plausable world, I will "NEVER SWITCH" to Xplane.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

The decision made by PMDG might well mean a big step towards the ending that uncertainty...
+1

As P3D has no ability to move to the private sector, then it's not going to thrive. At least not here.Ah well... Let's just await the next-gen hardware. Soon we'll be forgetting any problems with FSX due to the performance it's going to have.

A disappointment, yes. The end of the world ? Certainly not.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

A disappointment, yes. The end of the world ? Certainly not.
LOL. Not.

As P3D has no ability to move to the private sector, then it's not going to thrive. At least not here.Ah well... Let's just await the next-gen hardware. Soon we'll be forgetting any problems with FSX due to the performance it's going to have.
I do agree. Hardware improvements have made FSX a different beast than it was just a few years ago. Performance is no longer an issue if you have a high end PC. I had high hopes for P3d becoming the next big platform, but I dont think it will be, beyond a few of us here that use it.Right now, I have both installed and lately, ive found myself using FSX more. There are a few key addons I just couldnt get to work right with P3d and after re-installing FSX latley, it Is a lot more stable for me now, so Im happy to stick with it. Im still going to keep my P3d developer license open, since I want to see what ver 2.0 will bring. I dont care about any one developers support of lack of support for it, as I always have FSX for those.Eventually , I may give up on P3d. I think it will be successful as a comercial product, but it will never be the home simmers predominant choice because of licensing stuff. I bought Xplane X a few weeks ago, spent about 2 weeks with it. I really wanted to like it, bought a few addons for it and ended up selling it on Ebay. Just not for me. Didnt feel or look plausible at all. If this is where the hobby moves, Ill find a new hobby.Rob Edited by Comanche

Does P3D have to move to the private sector? So far is has not, and there are many users and multiple more joining. Remember for some, FSX is not just a performance issue but a stability one.Just because PMDG makes a decision to pursue or not pursue a particular platform in my belief, is hopefully not the end of the world or the simming community. There are still more quality vendors supporting it than the 1 that has dropped it. PMDG had it's reasons, or more or less it's legal council did. It will just provide the opportunity for someone else to step up. I've been simming for many years before the benefit of PMDG, and can simulate flight for many more without them. Aerosoft and Flight Sim Labs have all given the nod to P3D and have been certainly producing quality aircraft as of late. Let's not forget Orbx, REX, My Traffic 3D, FSDT, Flightbeam Studios, and Fly Tampa to name a few, whom are some of the vendors who have committed to the support of Prepar3D as well. If they believed as PMDG, they too would have pulled out long ago, or are we to assume PMDG has far superior business judgement? Just a thought, not sarcasm. If indeed, Robert has more solid info from Mr. Nicol than the rest of us, than it would be only fair for the Prepar3D development team to share the same information with us. I for one, would certainly not like to find myself in a position of urinating into the wind on this matter.For the moment, I hope users keep things into perspective. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. At least not yet...

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

If P3D v2 offers what I think it will, then I could probably care less if PMDG support it or not. I love the J41 but there will be other devs. The J41 is the only 'current' PMDG plane I own anyway......As stated above, there seem to be plenty of other devs stepping up to the P3D plate in terms of both aircraft and scenery.Currently, P3D does not offer enough to switch from FSX. XP10, well, it has potential but the 'plausible' world thing needs a LOT of work. It does not look like a sim that launched in 2011.

Hi,PMDG is not the only developer in town, nor are they (in-and-of-themselves) going to cause the success and/or failure of P3D, if they do not want to support P3D so be it. I'll keep using P3D until a viable replacement emerges, it may even be Xplane. With that said, Xplane is not ready for prime time, it was made even worse with this viable, believable, madup, imagenary, plausable and/or what ever you want to call it world. Until then, P3D is my sim of choice.Anything can happen in the future, as of today I have everything I need to enjoy day-to-day, hour-by-hour flight sim operations.I hope Xplane emerges as the clear flightsim leader in the future, it will be a cheaper alternative to P3D, but if it remains as a plausable world, I will "NEVER SWITCH" to Xplane.
I actually think this is going to put a stop to other 3rd party developers supporting P3D (mostly aircraft developers). When they have a legal opinion from their lawyer(s) that developing on this platform for retail customers, could open them up to liability in real world situations. I think other developers are going to sit up and take notice, and make the same decision! A FS developer would be foolish to open themselves up to that kind of potential litigation.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I actually think this is going to put a stop to other 3rd party developers supporting P3D (mostly aircraft developers). When they have a legal opinion from their lawyer(s) that developing on this platform for retail customers, could open them up to liability in real world situations. I think other developers are going to sit up and take notice, and make the same decision! A FS developer would be foolish to open themselves up to that kind of potential litigation.
Although PMDG lawyers have presented a "plausible" scenario, like X-Plane, it does not mean likely. First, Prepar3D's EULA does not overrule anyone else's. PMDG clearly states that you can not use any of their products for aircraft familiarization or procedural training, regardless of what platform they operate on. To do so would not only be breach of PMDG's EULA, it would also be stupid. Airlines do not depend on such products for such things. They all provide their own in-house training where required and use full motion simulators either in-house or through contract with companies such as FlightSafety. If the use of their products is concern to the liability issue of an individual causing an aviation incident through use of their products, then they had better get rid of all their beta tester who also fly some of these aircraft routinely with airlines for exactly the same reasons.The Prepar3D site also has two aircraft available for download the L-188 Electra and the L049 Constellation. Are those developers also subject to legal action if someone operating one of these aircraft turns the real thing into a tinfoil ball? If I train in a C.A.E. full motion simulator and make an error while flying the real thing can I sue them for my said error if I blame the simulator? I find it hard to believe even if remotely possible that if I caused a egregious error while flying I could blame PMDG or Prepar3D for that matter and have it stand up in court or an aviation tribunal. If this is the case, than the same could be held true about FSX or X-Plane. "The sim made me do it", even though it clearly states it's not to be used for training purposes in any way what so ever, would be a very weak defense in my opinion. Frankly as a licensed commercial pilot, I wouldn't even admit such a thing. In my opinion, the only issue the lawyers pointed out is the same possible slippery slope that exists in either FSX, FS9, or X-Plane. This whole argument was raised after 9/11 if most recall, a rather jittery moment for flight sim enthusiasts and developers about the future of the whole franchise.I find it also odd, that although they have concerns about liability issues with a commercial capable simulation platform, they have no concern about the same liability when it comes to their publications. The only difference between PMDG's training material for the NGX and Boeing approved documentation, is PMDG's states "Not For Real World Use". From what I have seen, it looks like Boeings material with a PMDG wrapper. I certainly can't distinguish it from the real thing. If that little statement at the bottom of every page protects PMDG from liability, which it does, how is it any different from the statements in the EULA that is part of their software?I am not a lawyer and perhaps their are other aspects of this issue that I have not considered, but at this juncture, I can honestly say I am confused.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0