Sign in to follow this  
Lemond23

Turn air conditioning off prior to engine star

Whenever I fly in a 737, I observe the air conditioning is turned off prior to engine start. I imagine this has to do with the pneumatic/duct air pressure to have enough power for the engine start. But what is the real procedure in the overhead panel? What switches these pilots turn on or turn off?Thanks

Pretty simple. Left and right packs off when starting the first engine. It is possible to start the other engine with the running engine's pack and engine bleed on.

Ok. When APU is on, if I turn both packs off, duct pressure goes down. So, I use to let the right pack on and the left pack off.

Edited by Lemond23

Ok. When APU is on, if I turn both packs off, duct pressure goes down. So, I use to let the right pack on and the left pack off.
It goes down when both packs are off as there is not a demand for bleed air, but when you start the start up process you will see the duct pressure comes back as now there is a engine start demand for bleed air.

What Raven says is true. I will add that this is a bit different from both classics, where bleed air extraction was not demand-driven, and a crossbleed start, where you need to observe the pressure and adjust live engine thrust to have at least 40PSI.

At SWA, I believe the procedure is as follows. Turn off the packs, and start the #2. When that is online, close the isolation vavle, and set the right pack to high. Then, start the #1. Once that is online, you can set the iso valve to auto, and then the packs as desired. Getting the right pack on is for pax comfort.

At SWA, I believe the procedure is as follows. Turn off the packs, and start the #2. When that is online, close the isolation vavle, and set the right pack to high. Then, start the #1. Once that is online, you can set the iso valve to auto, and then the packs as desired. Getting the right pack on is for pax comfort.
You are correct ^^^
Good to know! I've been flying a lot of SWA since the NGX came out. Now I can sim more accurately.Thanks guys! Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

You dont have to go to High on the #2 pack, Auto is fine. Also, I only start them like this when it is hot out to cool the passengers down. Otherwise I just turn the packs off, start the engines and congure the bleeds and packs on my before taxi flow.