Sign in to follow this  
xplanery

Converting photoscenery from FSX to X plane 10?

I am getting X plane 10 soon, and I am wondering is it possible to easily convert photoscenery from FSX to X plane 10? If its possible what program can I use?

Edited by FScamp

Best of luck. There's no known decompiler for the type of file that contains the photo scenery. You would have to start from the source side up.

i wouldnt rush into it too much just yet. You wont be impressed with what you find when you first run x-plane. Theres a lot of tweaking to do before it even comes close to FSX...even then, it is still a long way off being the better simulator!!! (and to think fsx is already so old)

i wouldnt rush into it too much just yet. You wont be impressed with what you find when you first run x-plane. Theres a lot of tweaking to do before it even comes close to FSX...even then, it is still a long way off being the better simulator!!! (and to think fsx is already so old)

...and this is just your opinion.  Which is valuable to you  ^_^

I find myself in X-Plane10/64 more and more because I getting to like it better than FSX.

• Upvote 2

You have every right to an opinion, in the same way I have every right to ignore it. Seriously, I can only assume you know FSCamp so well that you know exactly what he will think of X-Plane. 

As others have said, converting photoscenery is not easy, however you might find some stuff here that may be useful. http://simheaven.com

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

It can be done and there is a tool that I've used for several MSFS conversions to X-Plane called FS2XPlane.

http://marginal.org.uk/x-planescenery/tools.html

They also have various other scenery editing tools that can be used including WED, that one allows you directly edit objects within X-Plane but requires a bit of knowledge so haven't dabbled much with it. I've successfully converted some airports but had to use Overlay Editor to fix them up a bit and get rid of some of the extra layers that get converted over and don't look right in X-Plane. I haven't had much luck with the more complex stuff such as ORBX but am still working on it and am sure I'll figure it out at some point.

As for X-Plane 10 itself, I've had it for over 6 months now and find myself using it far more often than FSX (I haven't been on FSX for over a month now). It may not have everything that I had in FSX but I'm finding it to be much nicer sim overall in terms of visuals (particularly at night) and the complex payware aircraft that seemed to missing a year ago are now being released more frequently.

With 64-bit support and HDR turned on it really makes FSX feel quite dated.

FlyBoyMikey, on 15 May 2013 - 9:54 PM, said:

It can be done...

Well that's great. How is it done, the extraction of FSX photo scenery from BGL files, so that they can be used in XPX?

Do you have a link to a scenery where that's been done?

Maybe a link to a thread somewhere where it describes how a photo scenery BGL file was decompiled?

I am wondering is it possible to easily convert photoscenery from FSX to X plane 10?

It can be done...

Errrm, you sure about that Mikey?

Well that's great. How is it done, the extraction of FSX photo scenery from BGL files, so that they can be used in XPX?

I've only ever used that tool 'FS2XPlane' to do conversions and it's really just a case of trial and error. Like I said I've only been able to successfully convert a few sceneries so far and only one of them could be counted as being 'photo-real', someone did YBCG airport a while back for FSX. I can post some screenshots later on when I get home.

ORBX scenery is the only photo-real scenery that I own on FSX but haven't been able to successfully convert it using FS2XPlane without getting any errors.

Check that link that I posted above to download FS2XPlane.

WOW! I'm actually amazed when I find people who are so set in their ways that they think FSX is superior to X-Plane, I like him have an opinion to me there is no contest, FSX is a game, XP10 is a  teach you how to fly flight simulator. yes it's more difficult to use, set-up and get the scenery to look like you want it. And requires more effort on the user's part, reasoning being  what I said priorly and it's only a matter of time till users create the plugins or software needed to convert whatever types of scenery we want. they are coming up with new stuff every day, XP is newer and still evolving whereas  FSX is old and non-evolving it's as good as it will ever get, The only reason I have FSX installed on my computer is that it has to be to convert its scenery to be used in X-Plane. So I guess I prefer X-Plane is it's just the better choice for me to spend my hard earned money on, It just makes sense. And to answer the poster's question I haven't yet found a way to successfully convert FSX photo scenery but I pretty sure someone will create something to do it in the future.

Stepping off the soapbox now said my 2 cents

ssimm1958 (Steve)

• Upvote 1

I heard somewhere that PC Aviator is going to start making X Plane photoscenery.  It will be a welcome addition for those that do not want to use programs such as Ortho4XP.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

But, bevor you beginn to convert the sceneries (and spend a lot of time and you can trust me, I know what I´m talking about :-) ) -> it´s easier to use tools like Ortho4XP or g2xpl (the first one is a freeware and g2xpl needs only a small donation to use the full version) and the results are amazing (in combination with world2xp or the sceneries from simheaven + HD Mesh -> all freeware !!) (look at the screenshots)!

WOW! I'm actually amazed when I find people who are so set in their ways that they think FSX is superior to X-Plane, I like him have an opinion to me there is no contest, FSX is a game....

that´s true -> look at the screenies below, even P3D X.X can´t keep up with these !! (I have them all and X-Plane is missing some features no doubt about that (weather features....etc., should´t be a comparation now and it´s ok to have your opinion about that) but I (personally) would never get back to P3D or FSX (it´s really true, and I do not belive this at the time when I changed over to XP9 and XP10 but after XP10 -> P3D (FSX) looks and "feels" like a game (at the moment anyway) !!

this are photosceneries made by Ortho4xp and g2xpl  (and these are not the best screenshots that I have)

iber9ajs.jpg

kcro43x3.jpg

2khl9wjc.jpg

plr3dx2c.jpg

tsufbckk.jpg

nxwupsxy.jpg

gfjyx79z.jpg

LGKR complete conversion

guqmb65f.jpg

ypxwp4iu.jpg

lwlzbqmq.jpg

9xj6s822.jpg

4txaiart.jpg

67blk42g.jpg

3mkpgjfn.jpg

imsowvy2.jpg

6nj5pia6.jpg

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D , watercooled, GeForce RTX 4090, RAM 64GB Kingston Fury 6000Mhz , Fractal Design 7 XL, MSI X670 Carbon, all SSD