Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

Two Well Lnown Airlines Have Ceased operations

According to Burkhard @simflight forums, Spanair and Malev have ceased operations. The latter after 66 years. Looks like the 1980's all over again.Excuse the spelling in the title, teach me not to put some lights on.

Edited by ZK-SUH

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Looks like the Euro Debt crisis is having it's effect on some of the national flag carriers there. That reminds me I'll have to remove them from my AI in FSX.

wow Malev too... I thought they had enough capital to keep operating for at least another 6-8 months...Spanair wasn't a surprise tho. They've tried very hard to compete with some carriers that have far better operating margins and lower CASM...Shame to see them go- but sometimes it has to happen.(For those who don't know- I do industry consulting- so this kind of stuff is always in my nightly reading....Do I know how to have a good time, or what?!)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Malev got a 1 billion dollar fine from EU, because they had gotten some support from EU without really needing it. :-( so 66 years and then done.. :-(

Edited by JakobF

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

Apparently Spanair was kept going artificially with public funds even though it had been loosing money for years. In the current situation of Spain and the debt issues it couldn't go on any longer. Very sad, but maybe if all those Autonomous Communities hadn't wasted our taxes in ridiculous and unnecesary airports like Ciudad Real, Lleida, Castellón, Murcia and many other stupid projects things would be different now.

O.o not so much good news, Shame to see more airlines go.

I think Hungary has bigger problems than their national airline dying.
I'm surprised this happened to Malev and not TAROM.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

HiI was on night shift the day before yesterday and around midnight i had the last malev flight flying to shannon and was kind a moving moment for all of us. The pilot told me that he is the last one to fly (we had queit a few the day before all of them going to shannon) and that he thanks for all the service a support during all these years (it reminded me the last flight of concorde from kjfk a bit). I was shocked i didnt know what to say so all ive managed to say was thank u and will miss u too. It was a sad moment, more because our national carrier CSA is going down the same road most probably :( Malev almost as old as CSA out of bussines shocking.We have Czech pilots saying: Fly low and brake in turns. Thats all i can say to all that pilots and crews now. Have a safe flight and i do hope to c u soon again, well hear u soon:)

We have all 15 737NG's from Malev parked up on the ramp down in Shannon, and one more impounded at Dublin. We're also going to have a lot of the Spanair aircraft being flown up to Shannon over next day or two. Shannon currently looks like a bit of a graveyard for aircraft at the minute.... :( It's a sad state of affairs...http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanair/6816518003/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I've a Hungarian colleague in work and he's not supprised at the latest development.Shame about Malev, I fly them a lot in FSX.

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

We have all 15 737NG's from Malev parked up on the ramp down in Shannon, and one more impounded at Dublin. We're also going to have a lot of the Spanair aircraft being flown up to Shannon over next day or two. Shannon currently looks like a bit of a graveyard for aircraft at the minute.... :( It's a sad state of affairs...http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
Rónán, do you know why they are flown and parked at Shannon?

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Rónán, do you know why they are flown and parked at Shannon?
ILFC is based down there. Most of Malev's and Spanair's jets were leased from them....Capt. Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Ahh, okay.. But still very sad to see two companies go down.. :(

737 CL/NG skysurfer