Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

If FLIGHT becomes a failure how will investing in DLC affect buyers?

If FLIGHT becomes a failure how will investing in DLC affect buyers?Even though Microsoft abandoned further FSX development the software is still alive (and well some will say) because of third party developers. But what if FLIGHT fails? Will buyers become stuck with Hawaii (and maybe a couple of other places) and a couple of aircraft?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

That is indeed one of my biggest concerns for me at least, see my earlier post here http://forum.avsim.n...st__p__2251271.Flight as it is shown now is a closed system. So I am dependent on MS. Unless they show a strategy and business plan I will not invest more than max. 40 bucks into this little start up for the Hawaii DLC and probably the Maule. I will not invest more (at this time) unless they come up with a roadmap and show me what they are committed to provide (like ATC, AI, Airliners, Continents, Airports etc)

Edited by DAD

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Is it not better to ask this question to MS's team?
No.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

If FLIGHT becomes a failure how will investing in DLC affect buyers?Even though Microsoft abandoned further FSX development the software is still alive (and well some will say) because of third party developers. But what if FLIGHT fails? Will buyers become stuck with Hawaii (and maybe a couple of other places) and a couple of aircraft?
It all comes down to 2 questions:1. Will a SDK ever be made public?2. How open or closed is the Flight programming code?Many do not remember that at one point in MSFS history the code was totally closed and there was no SDK. Yes, we were totally under the controll of MS/SubLogic. I remember the day where the USA was broken into regions and you had to purchase 5 1/4 inch floppy disks of the areas you wanted to fly. Flight may be a return to those times.

Guest jahman
Flight as it is shown now is a closed system. So I am dependent on MS. Unless they show a strategy and business plan I will not invest more than max. 40 bucks into this little start up for the Hawaii DLC and probably the Maule. I will not invest more (at this time) unless they come up with a roadmap and show me what they are committed to provide (like ATC, AI, Airliners, Continents, Airports etc)
That's exactly what I meant in another post just now about lack of information increasing risk and risk increasing cost. For us simmers increased risk means less money spent on DLC.
Is it not better to ask this question to MS's team?
What for? They are not saying.
No.
Well, for once we agree!
2. How open or closed is the Flight programming code?
The other question is can we simmers and 3PD get MS to release the SDK by not going along with Flight?Cheers,- jahman. Edited by jahman

.What for? They are not saying.Cheers,- jahman.
I was just playing with you guys :( , as you stated it "They are not saying" so we sure won't get a real answer by asking here.....I guess I had a Jim moment.... :( Edited by alainneedle1

Smart question.Flight will " takeoff " if MS will develop the approapriate stuff like the ATC etc... but these improvements rely ( budget reasons ) on the success that Flight is gonna have but this success seems to be blocked by the ATC missing and all the other well known missing aspects mentioned. A dog biting its tail.Hard to predict the future but 75% of chances are against Flight and it probably it will sink sooner rather than later if those features won't be injected in a decent way and above all soon.Told that, I hope to be wrong of course. Edited by Mark II

Smart question.Flight will " takeoff " if MS will develop the approapriate stuff like the ATC etc... but these improvements rely ( budget reasons ) on the success that Flight is gonna have but this success seems to be blocked by the ATC missing and all the other well known missing aspects mentioned. A dog biting its tail.
I'm surprised the pricing for DLC is where it is. I was thinking it'd be much lower.Based on the current value of a Microsoft point, to get the rest of the Hawaiian Islands would be $20 US.To get all 50 U.S. States by that cost would be about $1000 US.It doesn't seem like their goal is for every customer to be able to have the World coverage FSX has, it wouldn't beaffordable if the rest of the regions of the world have a similar cost as Hawaii does.It would seem this sim is intended to be very regionalized. Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

I'm surprised the pricing for DLC is where it is. I was thinking it'd be much lower.Based on the current value of a Microsoft point, to get the rest of the Hawaiian Islands would be $20 US.To get all 50 U.S. States by that cost would be about $1000 US.It doesn't seem like their goal is for every customer to be able to have the World coverage FSX has, it wouldn't beaffordable if the rest of the regions of the world have a similar cost as Hawaii does.It would seem this sim is intended to be very regionalized.Regards.Ernie.
That's certainly one way to look at it. I'll look at it differently. . .Hawaii is a beautiful region of the US with mountains, beaches, water, volcanos, waterfalls, and even cruise ships. It's topography has a lot of neat features. It also happens to be isolated and relatively small. Those items make it a perfect launching point for Flight. Firstly, for zero dollars you get a nicely done main island and at least a couple of planes. For $20 more you get the rest of this very well done scenery and at least another plane. Now, instead of thinking that you're only getting the rest of the state and at least one more plane for $20, maybe consider that at least part, if not all, of your money goes towards actually paying for Flight (the program) which happens to include all of Hawaii and half-a-dozen planes. Now consider Kansas. Somehow I doubt they can sell Kansas, even at the level of detail of Hawaii, for $20 - it's just not interesting. Think of all the other states that wouldn't sell. So, to think the 50 US states are going to be DLC @ $1,000 for the set is, well, a crazy thought. Also consider there is a HUGE market outside of the US. England, Germany, France, Australia - most of them, I'm sure, would prefer some local content too. I'm thinking we'll see large geographic regions with minimal structures, but accurately placed runways/airports/NAVAIDs (for a price, of course). Then we'll see "Hawaii-level" detailed areas (mainly cities and airports and/or regions) also available for purchase.

It doesn't seem like their goal is for every customer to be able to have the World coverage FSX has, it wouldn't beaffordable if the rest of the regions of the world have a similar cost as Hawaii does.It would seem this sim is intended to be very regionalized.
Yes, I agree. I think it may be a case of detailed scenery packages covering some of the more attractive parts of the world to fly in. Which could be good for GA and bush flying etc. Not sure how long haul flyers will be catered for though. I have decided I will not spend money on DLC until such time as the developers add some clarity as to what they are planning to provide and in what sort of timeframe.

maybe consider that at least part,if not all, of your money goes towards actually paying for Flight (the program) which happens to includeall of Hawaii and half-a-dozen planes.
Nonesense.The economic model of Flight is clear.The initial version is 'free', as a 'carrot' for people to become attracted to it and then 'pay' for the DLCto add to it for years afterwards.
Now consider Kansas. Somehow I doubt they can sell Kansas, even at the level of detail of Hawaii, for $20 -it's just not interesting. Think of all the other states that wouldn't sell. So, to think the 50 US states aregoing to be DLC @ $1,000 for the set is, well, a crazy thought.
Yes the small state of Hawaii is more interesting to most than the larger State of Kansas.But Hawaii is no more interesting that New York, or California which are much larger states.Those States are just as interesting and have far more details to model, than Hawaii would. If Hawaii garners$20, wouldn't it be fair to say California would garner $100 easy ?Now looking at every State in the U.S. comparing, size, details, and popularity and local hometown interest to Hawaii, probably as many U.S. states(as regions) with garner a price above $20 as would below it.
I'm thinking we'll see large geographic regions with minimal structures, but accurately placed runways/airports/NAVAIDs (for a >price, of course).
You're still thinking like this is FSX's replacement or FS11. It's not.Like the guy (from ICON) basically said in the video , (I'm paraphrasing) the Flight is more focused on the experience of Flying, than the act of operating the Aircraft.Selling Navigational aids and runways by themselves with minimal details, really mostly appeals to the hard code realistic IFR type simmer, that's not their primarytarget customer this time.So I think we will see scenery type DLC's as smaller regions with all the Airports, Navaids, terrain data etc included in that region. One U.S. State (or European Country) might be made up of separate regions sold separately or as part of a region package.Of course this is all speculation here.Regards.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

I think it may be a case of detailed scenery packages covering some of the more attractive parts of the world
I've been saying it all along. Its been done before that way. Remember the SubLogic expansion packs? Mid-Atlantic states centered around Washington DC. Los Angenes and Southern California. The Pacific Northwest. The Mid-West centered around Chicago. Alaska, with all it's beauty for GA flying, will certainly be an expansion pack. Look for Japan. Look for the British Isles. The major European countries can each be a pack. Then there will be the specialty packs. Gibraltar in very high detail. Like waterfalls? How about the world's great falls in one pack (Niagra, Victoria, Angel, Bridal Veil, etc). You get the picture.

Based on the current value of a Microsoft point, to get the rest of the Hawaiian Islands would be $20 US.
Ernie, if the Maule is $15, wouldn't you agree that the Vans RV6 would be worth about the same (given that they are equivalent in terms of functionality, modeling and gauges (both are mostly "steam" driven).If that premise is valid, then the actual cost of the remaining Hawaiian Islands is $5.00, not $20...
I'm thinking we'll see large geographic regions with minimal structures, but accurately placed runways/airports/NAVAIDs (for a price, of course). Then we'll see "Hawaii-level" detailed areas (mainly cities and airports and/or regions) also available for purchase.
The Hawaiian Island pack already has all of the navaids, detailed airports, runways, ILS, etc.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.