Sign in to follow this  
7swed774

AMD phenom x4 over clock, RAM questions

So i built a computer with an AMD phenom II X4 980 black edition (really good CPU for the price). So i have heard that when you buy a black edition it is a guarantee that you will over clock the CPU. Here is were i run into a problem i can not overclock the AMD CPU, i have overclocked an Intel and that worked fine. well it sort off isn't a problem because i think i found the problem. The problem is that i have a Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz, it is brand new. Before i had OCZ dd3 MHz 4 times 2GB. I bought the corsair to see if i could over clock and get a stable over clock. So i Over clocked the AMD CPU at 4.01 GHz with the DRAM at 1333 and i got it stable for about 4 hours, I was using prime95. Long story short I got a blue screen when I was on FSX and then i put the bios at default. That was like a Month after when I Overclocked My AMD Phenom II X4 980. I made some research and people have a MHz ram with their AMD Phenom II x4 CPU and they over clocked it and got it stable. So this is my question the FSX hardware community those who has AMD. Will i get a more stable Over Clock if i buy this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145340. I am very skeptical that i will get a stable OC because i have gone through the corsair Dominator and that was hopeless and my OCZ RAM.I would Love some feedback from AMD usershere are some forums that i foundhttp://www.techpowerup.com/142432/AMD-Readies-3.70-GHz-Phenom-II-X4-980-Black-Edition-Processor.htmlhttp://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155753Specs:Amd Phenom II X4 980 3.7 Ghz Nivida Gts 2508gb of ram (corsair dominator DDR3 1600)ASUS: M4A487TD EVO Mother Board2x western digital 500gbCorsair 650 watt

I OCed my AMD fine, but the only program that didn't like the OC was FSX. FS04 was fine, everything else was fine. So I went back to default and FSX runs great!

"Controllers" forum is hardly the right forum for this.

You don't need new RAM, even with 1333 RAM you can overclock an unlocked CPU like that cause you don't need to mess with the bus.What Vcore, Vcpu_nb & temps do you have now for 4GHz?

so the answer is that i need a ram that has 1333mhz not 1600mhz if i am understanding it correctly. so i found two Corsair ram on newegg but i don't now which one would be better http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145340 (i have the 1600mhz version installed right now)or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233190

wait, the thing that is bugging me is that when i overclocked my AMD x4 980 to 4.00 and i had the Corsair Dominator 1600mhz but i set the DRAM to 1333mhz and i got the overclock to work sort off but after a month i got a blue screen. This is not adding upi did testing and it was fine. but i was testing it with in 4 hours with prime 95.I talked to people at AMD and they said that the phenom series are 1333 and i have a 1600 installed in my computer so technically i am over clocking the computer with 1600mhz. I am so confused

Running the AMD 975 O/C to 4.2 with Corsair Vengeance DDR31600MHZ ... no problem or whats so everYair

Running the AMD 975 O/C to 4.2 with Corsair Vengeance DDR31600MHZ ... no problem or whats so everYair
now i am even more confused I NEED AN EXPERT, PLEASE Edited by bestpilot

Check out dez's link:

Ganged Mode is where you utilize both Memory Controllers on the CPU as a single unit giving you a single 128 bit channel. (You may not be able to run RAM faster than 1333Mhz in this mode. I haven't been able to with either the X4 965 or the X6 1090T.)Unganged Mode is where each of the Memory Controllers on the CPU work independently and equals 2X64 bit Channels. (I can run my RAM at 1600 Mhz only in this mode)
also provide more details on your OC, voltages in particular

you don't need new RAM. Worst case scenario, if you can't run them at 1600MHz, your current sticks will run at 1333MHz no problem.Did you try unganged for 1600MHz?How did you overclock? complete voltage breakdown, and temps please,

Edited by dazz

you don't need new RAM. Worst case scenario, if you can't run them at 1600MHz, your current sticks will run at 1333MHz no problem.Did you try unganged for 1600MHz?How did you overclock? complete voltage breakdown, and temps please,
yes i tryed to put the DRAM at 1333 and the multiplier at 20 and i left the voltage as auto. my max temperature was at 50c, i OC a intel and that went up to 75c.