Sign in to follow this  
cptawsom

REX2 Unnatural strong winds

Recently (about 10-15 flights ago), I switched from calm weather, to real-time real weather, using REX-2's weather engine.However, most of the times, especially at high altitudes (cruising altitude), I have immensenly strong winds - ranging between 50-70 knots (we are talking about almost 100-140 km/h here). And they also change very rapidly, both in speed and direction.Last time I checked, Europe didn't have any tropical storms (many times that this occured, I was flying in nothern europe).Is there a way to prevent this? To limit the wind speed, and the rate of its speed and direction change?As I said, I'm using REX-2's real-time real weather engine, and I also have a registered FSUIPC4, if that can help (I've noticed it has some wind options, but nothing I put there made any difference).

Recently (about 10-15 flights ago), I switched from calm weather, to real-time real weather, using REX-2's weather engine.However, most of the times, especially at high altitudes (cruising altitude), I have immensenly strong winds - ranging between 50-70 knots (we are talking about almost 100-140 km/h here). And they also change very rapidly, both in speed and direction.Last time I checked, Europe didn't have any tropical storms (many times that this occured, I was flying in nothern europe).Is there a way to prevent this? To limit the wind speed, and the rate of its speed and direction change?As I said, I'm using REX-2's real-time real weather engine, and I also have a registered FSUIPC4, if that can help (I've noticed it has some wind options, but nothing I put there made any difference).
What altitude are we talking here? That's not unnatural at all for +30,000'. Heck, I've seen that at 7,000' with frontal passages here in North Carolina. As for the sudden changes: With a registered version of FSUIPC, you have a wind smoothing option. This comes in handy for engines like the REX one. ASE and AS2012's DWC don't have this issue. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Guest jahman

Read all about Jet Streams, those great rivers in the sky, here.Cheers,- jahman.

What altitude are we talking here? That's not unnatural at all for +30,000'.
I usually use crusing altitudes between FL290-FL330, so it was somewhere there in between.
Let's OK for Europe last night. But then, the day before yesterday, I did VHHH->WSSS, and had the same issue. Did it happen there too?
This comes in handy for engines like the REX one. ASE and AS2012's DWC don't have this issue.
1. So, is this a feature missing, or a bug, in REX2's weather engine?2. Do you think I should go on and buy Active Sky 2012? Or it is not worth the money? Edited by cptawsom

I can't tell you if it specifically happened between VHHH and WSSS a couple of days ago, my point is that it's not uncommon at high altitude in several places around the world. If you look at http://www.groundspeedrecords.com/ you'll see that a lot took place in the far east, so it would seem that it's more common over there.I have REX and I have the same problem with uneven large changes in windspeed which don't seem realistic.

I usually use crusing altitudes between FL290-FL330, so it was somewhere there in between.1. So, is this a feature missing, or a bug, in REX2's weather engine?2. Do you think I should go on and buy Active Sky 2012? Or it is not worth the money?
Those speeds are okay for those altitudes.1. It's a limitation of the REX engine and FSX.2. That's up to you. AS2012 is expensive, so maybe ASE would be a nice option for you. Either way, I would hate for you to spend so much on something that can be fixed by purchasing FSUIPC and using wind smoothing. Even if Activesky is the better engine right now.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Either way, I would hate for you to spend so much on something that can be fixed by purchasing FSUIPC and using wind smoothing. Even if Activesky is the better engine right now.
I have purchased FSUIPC. I have the registered version.I tried to do something with it, but it had no effect.Is there any documentation about FSUIPC available? A wiki perhaps?

Guest jahman

There's a complete se to of documentation in the FSUIPC zip file when you purchased the product.You can download the documentation again here, and the FSUIPC forum is here.Cheers,- jahman.