Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

My take on MS Flight... and the future of simming

After posting my thoughts on my blog, word got out.... also onto Facebook where I spend most of my days nowadays.I had a brief encounter with Paul Lange, the man I see as the driving force behind MS Flight (he sure was behind theFSX Missions) and decided maybe someone here too is interested to get my views on what's happening........ or, in terms of flight SIMULATION on what is NOT happening. But should..... Find my blog post here.And as I already explained to Paul, this is not 'hate mail', just my opinion of what we as a flightsim community are missing....

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

As you know I read the post yesterday and featured it on my blog and twitter. Thanks for sharing it Francois!It's sad to see all this negativity, but then again, I think it is great that people are being honest about their reactions - both positive and negative. I honestly wish it was I that was loosing sleep being exited about February 29th....

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Well written and right on the money. I don't think MS really cares what we think and they proved that by the way the beta test was run. Oh well, we still have a number of good options so it's not as if it's FLIGHT or nothing.

NAX669.png

This is exactly what I think !Thank you François to express so precisely our feelings of disappointment with MSFlight.Pierre LFBE

+1. This is also exactly what I think.Thank you Francois for taking the time to write this.Martin

And exactly what I have thought about Flight for long time already... Too bad that its true. After all this I honestly cant believe that MS is planning to carry Flight to simulator direction with DLC packs. They should have good idea what it will be now already, and to yeah thats mostly arcadish game.

I really don't think MS has dumped our community in the terms of a simulator. What they have created is fantastic for it was intended for.I truly think that I will end up getting sucked into the dark side(XP10). PMDG already has said that they will likely support it in the future and Carenado is already porting products over to the platform. Flight is showing little potential for advanced 3PD.MS will create lots of DLC but, the price and quality is unmatched from an advanced airliner or GA that a team like PMDG or A2A could create.

It's indeed strange that you took the position that you did François... It's strange because over the years I have seen you often as the voice of reason and calm amongst the clamoring, whining, carping rabble.What I do find odd is that most of the MS haters seem to believe they were owed a new version of the simulator by Microsoft and that Flight with it's new direction and target should be dumped on from a great height because the expectation was not fulfilled... Where did this entitlement mentality come from? It's not like MS did not fulfill it's part of the bargain by somehow not delivering on it's promise, albeit a product that most here have no clue as to it's final capability or capacity. Strange mentality indeed.I believe it is as you said, that you are biased because of MS's stand on freeware and commercial add on's, but never mind, the hobby will go on and thrive. If not with Flight, then maybe with one of the other options that are currently available. I guess we still have the venerable FSX with the magical Orbx world, it's not like we don't have options.Anyhow, thanks for your opinion and all the best as we move on.

What I do find odd is that most of the MS haters seem to believe they were owed a new version of the simulator by Microsoft and that Flight with it's new direction and target should be dumped on from a great height because the expectation was not fulfilled... Where did this entitlement mentality come from? It's not like MS did not fulfill it's part of the bargain by somehow not delivering on it's promise, albeit a product that most here have no clue as to it's final capability or capacity. Strange mentality indeed.
That's what amazes me as well everytime I read rants like that...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

That's what amazes me as well everytime I read rants like that...
+1 well said...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

It's indeed strange that you took the position that you did François... It's strange because over the years I have seen you often as the voice of reason and calm amongst the clamoring, whining, carping rabble.What I do find odd is that most of the MS haters seem to believe they were owed a new version of the simulator by Microsoft and that Flight with it's new direction and target should be dumped on from a great height because the expectation was not fulfilled... Where did this entitlement mentality come from? It's not like MS did not fulfill it's part of the bargain by somehow not delivering on it's promise, albeit a product that most here have no clue as to it's final capability or capacity. Strange mentality indeed.I believe it is as you said, that you are biased because of MS's stand on freeware and commercial add on's, but never mind, the hobby will go on and thrive. If not with Flight, then maybe with one of the other options that are currently available. I guess we still have the venerable FSX with the magical Orbx world, it's not like we don't have options.Anyhow, thanks for your opinion and all the best as we move on.
If you read the Orbx and PMDG posts about Flight, you can see that the initial direction for Flight was to be more like FSXI and the Flight FAQ was promising such things to this community. At some point, MS changed direction and decided to abandon many of the features that are included in FSX - all without telling us about it and worse, leading us on to think that they are on track of making a sim that everyone will like. You may think yourself outside the "carping rabble:, but it does not make the rabble wrong.

The PMDG and ORBX posts din't show that Flight was to be more like FSX. All those posts show was that PMDG and ORBX were asked if the wanted to develop DLC for Flight but couldn't agree terms. There was no change in direction. Nor did Microsoft ever state that Flight would be a development of FSX. Too many people read into Microsoft's statements what they wanted to believe - rather than what the words actually said.

The PMDG and ORBX posts din't show that Flight was to be more like FSX. All those posts show was that PMDG and ORBX were asked if the wanted to develop DLC for Flight but couldn't agree terms. There was no change in direction. Nor did Microsoft ever state that Flight would be a development of FSX. Too many people read into Microsoft's statements what they wanted to believe - rather than what the words actually said.
They did indeed have a different direction and MS has revised the FAQ so it no longer says what it used to.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.