Sign in to follow this  
MrGreen

Fatal Error on startup after memory switch.

Mr GreenI'm not sure why you are worried by the speed of the RAM as in the SB cpu you have you cannot overclock the FSB only the cpu multiplier hence as the RAM speed is normally dependent on the FSB, then running 1333 RAM would be as effective as higher speed RAM. Putting the RAM back to the default configuration would certainly help. If you have changed the voltage on your RAM it may well be out of sync with the FSB and there could be a total mismatch. I though that the ratio of the FSB to RAM speed should be 1:1 so if this is changed you may get issues?I guess that you have checked that the RAM is in the correct slots on the mobo and is fully seated? That can cause issues like you describe.Hope you get it sorted.PeterH

Edited by peterhayes

Mr GreenI'm not sure why you are worried by the speed of the RAM as in the SB cpu you have you cannot overclock the FSB only the cpu multiplier hence as the RAM speed is normally dependent on the FSB, then running 1333 RAM would be as effective as higher speed RAM. Putting the RAM back to the default configuration would certainly help. If you have changed the voltage on your RAM it may well be out of sync with the FSB and there could be a total mismatch. I though that the ratio of the FSB to RAM speed should be 1:1 so if this is changed you may get issues?I guess that you have checked that the RAM is in the correct slots on the mobo and is fully seated? That can cause issues like you describe.Hope you get it sorted.PeterH
Thanks for helping Peter.My Ram is running per its specifications: Clock, timings and voltage. I was running it with a Command Rate of 1T instead of its default 2T because that was not stated anywhere I could find.I'm now running it at 2T as well and will do a prime95 overnight run to check if its stable at default.The Ram is factory overclocked to 2133Mhz and the reason why I chose this type of Ram is because I've read and heard that performance ram can make a difference with FSX performance, especially stutters. Regardless if that is true or not, the ram was still as cheap or close to lower performance ram, so why not go for it?

WilliamYou are welcome I was just making the point that RAM speed is really immaterial in a SB processor due to the fixed FSB so 1333 would be as 'fast' wrt FSX as your 2133. But like you I purchased some 1600 RAM for my it 2600K.Glad you got it sortedRegardsPeterH

I just did an 11 hour long prime95 blendtest with 0 warnings and 0 errors. Must've been the command rate that was wrong. That one single setting can make the whole computer so unstable, fascinating :)Anyway, thanks so much all for helping me sort out this problem!One last question: Seeing as my Ram couldn't take a single setting being tighter than its specifications, should I return the ram and get a kit with more "slack" or will these be fine and stable for a long time?

DDR3 memory doesn't overclock much if at all. It's very common for DDR3 RAM especially rated so high as yours to not like overclock. It's not like you need it anyway, that's quite a fast memory kit, and for 70€ it's an amazing deal