Sign in to follow this  
Guest Barney1

Use Turbotax this year at your own risk

Guest DNelson

Sounds like this year's version of Turbotax has a very nasty copy protection scheme. It's limited to installation on ONE machine. Period. No exceptions (this from Intuit support). You can't install it on a laptop to start your taxes, then finish on a desktop with internet and printer support. If your computer croaks part way into tax preparation and you have to buy a new computer or even a new component (HD for instance), you can't install TT on the new machine to finish. You have to buy a new copy. If you have to recreate your return several years down the road (not uncommon) you can't reinstall turbotax to do this unless you still have the identical machine. How many people keep the same machine, with no component changes, for five years? Thanks Intuit. It also installs the C-Dilla spyware without announcing that is is doing so. There are zillions of stories floating around the web about what C-Dilla is capable of. As usual, many of these are probably exaggerated or flat-out false, but it does seem to be a fact that C-Dilla installs it's own CD-ROM drivers so as to interfere with "unauthorized" CD burning. C-Dilla is not uninstalled when you uninstall Turbotax. There's a real furor building over this. Do a Google search on "turbotax spyware" or something similar. Turbotax is taking a real beating on the Amazon reviews. A review on Amazon said it best: "If they don't trust us with their software, why should we trust them with our taxes?"Maybe pen, paper, and calculator aren't so bad after all. Dan

Thanks for the heads up. You got to wonder about some companies that decide to treat their customers like criminals.

>Thanks for the heads up. You got to wonder about some >companies that decide to treat their customers like >criminals. Sounds almost like our government at times. Politicians always lapse into their default position: it's your fault. We couldn't do anything about the criminal, so we'll do something about you.Sounds like companies are beginning to join the same train of thought.Incidentally just how much does TurboTax cost and how much does your local H&R Block or in my case a local accountant friend of mine.I think it cost me around $100.00 to have mine prepared by him, but mine is usually a bit more complicated than most, I am a contract employee, technically self employed and I have all kinds of weird deductions and tax exempt doo-dads because my paychecks come from entities, people and companies all over the Pacific rim. Anyhow

Thanke too for the heads up. I received a "Free Trial CD" of TurboTax Deluxe from Intuit.Needless to say, it will go into the trash can.Brent

I also got a free copy of it in the mail. Was thinking of installing it. Thanks for the warning and pass it on.Matt

Hmm, sounds perfectly ridiculous to me. Thanks for the heads up Dan.I loath spyware,Roger

I have used TaxCut for about 6 years now, so I guess I'll keep using it. They all work pretty much the same. Just don't file until you have updated the software as the initial releases are rarely accurate enough for filing.Link:http://www.taxcut.com/Regards,Joe :-waveHere is my new sig...You Like it? :-lol :-lol.http://home.attbi.com/~sonar5/sig1.jpg.Here are Picture Galleries of My Trip out west in 2002..Gallery #1 Pima Air & Space Museum + AMARC (Boneyard) at Davis Monthan AFB, Tucson, Arizona. (over 240 Pictures)http://www.pbase.com/sonar5/pimaamarc

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest GalacticCowboy

I'll throw my support in here for a different product. I've used TaxAct - www.taxact.com for 5 years and it is outstanding. Federal standard version is free, states are $10 each and you can get a package with 1 state and the "deluxe" federal version for $20. The deluxe version is basically the same as the free one except it includes extra forms and tax advice, an accuracy guarantee (if you're assessed a penalty by the IRS because of a bug in the software, the TaxAct corporation will pay it for you) and one free federal E-File.I haven't used any of the other tax products, so I can't really compare them. But I've found TaxAct to be extremely simple to use. It uses an interview process similar to what a tax preparer would do.

Guest Bob I

from my computer. Yes I got it from TurboTax. Thanks.Bob I

Hi.Thanks, for heads up. I've used it for many years, but this is not conducive to a good relationship between user and manufacturer. In addition, if they modify any drivers in my system, it

Guest DNelson

I recall reading somewhere that there may be an option to remove it in the Control Panel ==> Add or Remove Programs function. I can't personally verify this as I haven't installed Turbotax yet.Dan

Guest Bob I

Hi Dan,You are correct, there is a remove function in the add/remove program. However, do it get it all??? I am going to remove it after I finish with TT. Hope I get it all.Bob

Guest DNelson

Here's a link with some new information. Looks like Intuit is at least giving the appearance of listening to their customers.

Guest Barney1

An exhaustive review of their site reveals nothing about an update. In fact, the latest update is dated last October!And nowhere on their site(s) is the software discussed with respect to C-dilla or mention made about files being "left behind" after an uninstall of the tax program.While there are various places within the 'web about this software, both for the USA and Canadian versions, how is the rest of the public; that is, those who have no internet access, made aware of this 'problem'? And if an update were available, how would these same people get a copy....will one be mailed?