Sign in to follow this  
Hirgab

What do we know about Flight's technical improvements over FSX?

Let's not turn this into another Flight bashing thread. I understand that we are comparing apples and oranges, but I am curious to know what sort of technical improvements can we expect from Flight. For example, does Flight have 3D clouds? Cloud shadows? Light reflection on water? Different dawn/day/dusk skies? VC rain drops? What do we conclusively know so far?

You can look at the screen shots to get an idea of what to expect but nothing is conclusive until the 29th. I'm afraid if someone tells you what he/she knows specifically about the subject, that person will be accused of breaching the beta NDA.

One of the biggest improvements is that Flight uses up to 100% of GPU memory and does not hog the CPU.It is both faster and smoother and very very stable.Using the mouse as a basic controller is very good and behaves like a well calibrated joystick. (this was total crap in FSX)Sloped runways and excellent scenery give a nice realistic feel.I personally love that the "MAP" is the main UI navigation area and full screen. (I hated all those small dialogs in FSX.)Everything is accessible from there and you can get to it from in the game with a simple key toggle.......very slick.Sound quality is greatly improved. The first thing you will have to do is turn your volume down.Lots more but that gives a good idea.Fred.

Edited by RYR738

One of the biggest improvements is that Flight uses up to 100% of GPU memory and does not hog the CPU.It is both faster and smoother and very very stable.Using the mouse as a basic controller is very good and behaves like a well calibrated joystick. (this was total crap in FSX)Sloped runways and excellent scenery give a nice realistic feel.I personally love that the "MAP" is the main UI navigation area and full screen. (I hated all those small dialogs in FSX.)Everything is accessible from there and you can get to it from in the game with a simple key toggle.......very slick.Sound quality is greatly improved. The first thing you will have to do is turn your volume down.Lots more but that gives a good idea.Fred.
+1,There is very good utilization of modern hardware.I also enjoy the crispness of the sounds.

You can look at the screen shots to get an idea of what to expect but nothing is conclusive until the 29th. I'm afraid if someone tells you what he/she knows specifically about the subject, that person will be accused of breaching the beta NDA.
However, we can tell you that...:)good to hear the gpu is being used and the flying is smooth. Any intel on the clouds? I heard they were framerate heavy?

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I saw in one of the earlier videos trees that kind of waved in the wind.Better cockpit shadowing,

More missions, it seems... Dunno if it's technical or not though?

Edited by Devinci

Let's not turn this into another Flight bashing thread. I understand that we are comparing apples and oranges, but I am curious to know what sort of technical improvements can we expect from Flight. For example, does Flight have 3D clouds? Cloud shadows? Light reflection on water? Different dawn/day/dusk skies? VC rain drops? What do we conclusively know so far?
Watch the videos and most of these questions can be answered.

For example, does Flight have 3D clouds? Cloud shadows? Light reflection on water? Different dawn/day/dusk skies? VC rain drops? What do we conclusively know so far?
Nope, nope, nope, yep, nope.

For example, does Flight have 3D clouds? Cloud shadows? Light reflection on water? Different dawn/day/dusk skies? VC rain drops? What do we conclusively know so far?
Some of these things are still being worked on (I'm not giving out any specifics). None of us have seen the latest build yet. My Beta Build is nearly a month old (according to the most recent file in it). Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I actually think this is a worthwhile thread - unlike most of the circular arguements we tend to have. And it goes a bit beyond just watching the videos.Why? Because if Flight has a future, it's based on the technical improvements of the core program. No serious flightsimmer is going to move to it based on geographical coverage or airliner availablity. But we might well migrate our ga flying if the engine is good enough.So if i understand this we're getting:A smoother, faster engine that uses our gpus properly but looks quite similar to fsxSprite based clouds - ? Improved behaviourNo cloud shadowsReflections - stated as none above, does that include cloud reflections??An improved GA flight modelTime of day color changes - better than fsx? Better the ase/rex/shade?Questions:Am i correct with the above? Any more to add?Lighting is improved i hear. How much? I would never dream of flying fsx without the enb. mod (and now Shade as well). How does flight compare?

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

OzWhitney, as I stated in my previous post, I haven't seen the latest build yet, but I do know that it includes improvements to many of the things on your list (and a LOT of other things).It is impossible for me to explain how much better the lighting is. I have a ton of screenshots that look amazing . . . unfortunately I cannot post them until the 29th,

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

OzWhitney, as I stated in my previous post, I haven't seen the latest build yet, but I do know that it includes improvements to many of the things on your list (and a LOT of other things).It is impossible for me to explain how much better the lighting is. I have a ton of screenshots that look amazing . . . unfortunately I cannot post them until the 29th,
lighting is pretty basic in fsx, the good devs cheat a lot to make it look like the lighting is better than it is.Look forward to the screenies.The big question: does the flight team appear to be actively working on the features mentionec above? Your answer suggests they are.P.s. Arwen, 'OzWhitney'? Like houston? :( (used to be a fan back in the day)It's ok though, we're on first name terms now so you may just call me Oz.

Oz

Some of these things are still being worked on (I'm not giving out any specifics). None of us have seen the latest build yet. My Beta Build is nearly a month old (according to the most recent file in it).
I am pretty sure that those kind of features likely would be implemented much earlier in development...It seems to me that for the past few years, they have rebuilt the code in a way that will enable easy updating through the new integrated marketplace system. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing frequent updates based upon consumer demand. Who knows, we may just end up with a DX11 Flight? :(