Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

Autorudder. Used in real world?

Would it not then make sense to have "both hand on the wheeel" so to speak and put the throttle on the floor where the rudders are more like a vechicle?

Absolutely not.

I know it's probably simplistic but with the advent of much more sophisticated onboard flight systems it must be possible.

Possible, but not at all as helpful as you seem to think.  It would be wise to not take the comments of an amateur as indicative that there is a problem with the current arrangement.

...also, 2 year dredge FTW!

Kyle Rodgers

Is there any particular reason that corordinated turns are not automatic as in the flight sim? Is there an advantage to having independant control? I thought that using a rudder to make a turn is pointless without the yoke?

Allow me to confuse you more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERCO_Ercoupe

Lacking rudder pedals, the Ercoupe was flown using only the control wheel. A two-control system linked the rudder and aileron systems, which controlled yaw and roll, with the steerable nosewheel. The control wheel controlled the pitch and the steering of the aircraft, both on the ground and in the air, simplifying control and coordinated turning and eliminating the need for rudder pedals. A completely new category of pilot's license was created by the CAA for Ercoupe pilots who had never used a rudder pedal.

Anyone remember the Bellanca Air Coupe?  It looked a lot like the Ercoupe but had a V tail, round steering wheel and no rudder pedals.  I can't find anything on it, but maybe someone remembers seeing something about it.  The closest I could find was a Bellanca Air Sedan.  :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

When the automatic transmission was first introduced to the automobile industry there was push back and dismissal of its usefulness my guess is the same situation exist here. People are used to the status quo and I think it (the idea of automatic coordinated turns) will come in time.

Get a few dozen hours flying in real world weather and you'll understand why we have separate rudder control. For example, try landing in a crosswind.  Or taking off for that matter, although that's more applicable to prop planes.  Of course if you're flying 97% of the time on autopilot, it's pretty moot, isn't it?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Don't fly our aircraft with autorudder on - they're not designed for it (we do all our controls outside of FSX etc)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Rudder is vital to the proper control of ANY aircraft, reguardless of size, shape etc. The Ercoupe did have a rudder, it just was linked to the ailerons via a fixed geometry linkage. Even plane with advanced FBW systems, such as the military fast movers have the pedals there and for very good reasons. Also, darn hard to "two-hand" a stick! One hand for the stick, one for the throttle, feet on the pedals is the correct and proper way to fly an aircraft, even one with a geometry to the airframe that permists "feet-on-the-floor" flight, such as the F-18, or F-14. It's why the tails are canted outboard. Makes the airframe naturally turn in a coordinated manner. All the latest fightercraft have what's called a HOTAS system in, short for Hands On Throttle And Stick. All the controls for the aircraft and it's combat systems are located on the throttle or stick, so once the pilot sets up the aircraft properly in the air, with all the data loaded into the computers, etc etc, he never has to take his hands or feet from the controls he really needs to have hold of during a flight and fight. Moving the rudder in a way that is counter to normal flight is also a dandy way of confusing enemies as to ones true flight path...

Anyhow, I've strayed far enough from the main subject. I'm even loosing ME...

Pat☺

Late edit: Try a carrier trap sometime with no rudder. Won't work, garunteed!

If you fly the PMDG planes (aside from the 737NGX) with auto rudder turned off then you don't experience turns that are in balance. You observe the balance bar move out to the side as you roll in. I don't think having it off is more realistic.

What is realistic is coordinating the turn yourself with the rudder, not flipping a sim switch to do it for you. Having it off IS more realistic.

What is realistic is coordinating the turn yourself with the rudder, not flipping a sim switch to do it for you. Having it off IS more realistic.

Not on an airliner, you don't touch the rudder except during a decrab or engine out.  

Rob Prest

Ok,

What confused me is "What is realistic is coordinating the turn yourself with the rudder"    

That makes it sound like you should be applying manual rudder input during turns. 

Rob Prest

Not on an airliner, you don't touch the rudder except during a decrab or engine out.  

Rob,

This is actually something that I have wondered about for quite sometime.   I find that even with separate controls and auto rudder off, I hardly make any rudder inputs when making turns before landing and after take off.   I only need it accelerating down the runway and when landing.  

IN other words, the sim's behaviour is 100% correct in not yawing much if at all when the yaw damper is on an I am flying it by hand?

Kind regards

Yes correct, yaw damper takes care of everything. 

Rob Prest

The only reason I fly with autorudder is because I don't any rudder pedals and I fly with a yoke.

Autorudder wont help you decrab in a crosswind  or compensate for an engine failure. Pointless keeping it switched on.

Regards

Rob Prest