Sign in to follow this  
bud7h7

Why trilinear in FSX?

So why do we set filtering to tri iinstead of aniso in FSX settings? I've always done that simply because that's what tuning guides said to do, but anisotropic does look noticeably better. There is more detail at greater distances.Not that it looks bad with trilinear. Just wondering. Is it simply a compromise for better performance? Since as I said, it does look quite good set to trilinear as well.

Edited by bud7h7

You should ONLY set it to trilinear in FSX when you use the GPU's control panel (or something like nVidia Inspector) for anisotropic filtering. If you don't do that, by all means, turn it on in FSX!!! Since you say FSX looks better on your pc with aniso ON in FSX, TURN IT ON! Or start using nVidia Inspector. :(

You should ONLY set it to trilinear in FSX when you use the GPU's control panel (or something like nVidia Inspector) for anisotropic filtering. If you don't do that, by all means, turn it on in FSX!!! Since you say FSX looks better on your pc with aniso ON in FSX, TURN IT ON! Or start using nVidia Inspector. :(
But doesn't just about everyone use the CP or inspector in order to set 16X AF?I did some looking around and some people say you want to set tri or bilinear in order for the drivers to override them with high quality aniso via the control panel, otherwise you are letting FSX request inferior AF from the GPU by selecting AF.I'm not sure about that myself. Edited by bud7h7

BudA lot of experts will also say that the best video settings are those set in the game. I think that Trilinear goes back to older video cards (ie when FSX was released) that may not have been able to handle the increased load. If the settings are better when forced/overridden by the driver then they will be used regardless of what you have set in FSX. I always enhance the application in nvidia cp and nvidia inspector as I find that gives me the best results. But you have find what works best for you as every computer and set up is different.RegardsPeterH

Quoting Ryan's (PDMG) recommendations "Inside FSX, uncheck AA and set filtering to Trilinear. These in-game settings actually do not matter, but I've seen NickN bring up a decent point that if they're set this way it acts as a way to warn you if something isn't working right in the driver - for example, say you update your drivers and suddenly see blurry textures - that would tell you that the forced AF mode is no longer working because your profile got wiped or the driver is bugged etc. That's good advice that makes sense to me."Me too. I try most of everyone's suggestions as they pop up, but invariably go back here as a basic setup. Nick's Tuning guide is fine, too - just the horrible mix of text and font sizes is a bit of a put-off. (Sorry Nick!)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I use NVidia Inspector and STILL use Anistropic in the sim. Works very well for me.Stan

Mine has been set to aniso from day 1.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I set to Trilinear as well, mainly as I seem to get better performance. I might have to go back and change it for kicks now that I've read this post. Sometimes I think it's all in my head. In any event, if your machine can handle all the bells and whistle settings, use them. :)Best, Jeff

I did try to remove filtering completely in fsx but got a very poor graphic eve n with inspector ar 16x. It seem strange to me as i was assuming that the inspector setting will override fsx.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...