Sign in to follow this  
boeing247

FSX utility for viewing PDF's in flight?

Since most manuals that come with addons are in .pdf format, are there any utilities out there for viewing a PDF in FSX? Since it's nearly impossible to remember a 15-step engine start sequence, I always have to minimize FSX, read a step, the maximize fsx and follow it. It would be a lot easier if the manual could be viewed with FSX in full screen and without pausing FSX every time you read a step. Does anybody know of a utility of sorts that could do this?Thanks,boeing247

What I do is convert the pdf into html with this... (its free) http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf-to-html/Then put the output file in the main aircraft folder of your choice - edit the aircraft.cfg file and edit either kb_checklists="yourpdfnamehere" or kb_reference="yourpdfnamehere"and they will show up on the kneeboard. Works like a charm. Remember to edit the livery you want or all of them.Enjoy

Excellent! That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for. I'll try that out.

and here is the smartdonkey answer:Printerprint them out and then you can enjoy reading them not just when your flightsimming but anytime...

Ciao!

The shortest PDF manual I have is 20 pages long. Added to the fact that if I printed all the PDF's I have I might run out of paper, but in the interest of saving trees, I only print flight sim stuff that's 2 pages or shorter.

Edited by boeing247

Two monitors will work wonders for FSX. I use a 24 In WS for FSX and an 18IN for all my maps, pdf, web surfing etc.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Since most manuals that come with addons are in .pdf format, are there any utilities out there for viewing a PDF in FSX? Since it's nearly impossible to remember a 15-step engine start sequence, I always have to minimize FSX, read a step, the maximize fsx and follow it. It would be a lot easier if the manual could be viewed with FSX in full screen and without pausing FSX every time you read a step. Does anybody know of a utility of sorts that could do this? Thanks, boeing247
A free pdf reader for use in FS:PDFKneeboard 1.8Author : Nils Meieremail : nils.meier@gmail.comhomepage: http://code.google.c...ki/PDFKneeboard Edited by _ben

Sometimes PDFKneeboard crashes when opening a bigger PDF file, so I don't use it anymore.

Since it's nearly impossible to remember a 15-step engine start sequence, I always have to minimize FSX, read a step, the maximize fsx and follow it.
Oh I have to memorize hundreds of steps to fly my 737NGX. Believe me, you can remember those procedures after a few flights.

iPad/Android tablet? Obviously if you don't already own one it is an unecessary expense, but if you do there are a couple of good EFB-type apps that will let you load your own PDF's and also use them alongside whatever plates/charts the app already hasbestjake

Edited by quadraspleen

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

+1 for the iPad, I load all my checklists/manuals/walkthroughs in to iBooks. It means I don't have to keep switch between windows on the PC and I can "study" on the train. A pricey option granted but if you're looking for an excuse to get one look no further.:)