Sign in to follow this  
Bobber

A simple cloud question...and some thoughts

Hi all!Well, I've been flying X10 since its release, and I'm loving the sim more and more each day. I've been downloading scenery like crazy, so my favorite large airports are coming to life. Also have downloaded some planes, and really enjoying them.But, my question is, is anyone able to fly with smooth FPS when clouds are present? Man, I have a new(er) rig, and I'm limited to clear skies because as soon as clouds appear - wham - I go down to about 8 FPS, especially with real world overcast. I have my cloud settings at 20%. Is this a common occurrence?Many thanks!Bob

No clouds for me, well maybe a setting of 10 at most, and no traffic. Even then, it's bad if I'm close to the clouds.GlenEdit: Bob, are you using a ATI or Nvidia graphics card. They are well aware of the issues with ATI, just curious.Here's a good write up on the issue if you haven't seen it already.http://developer.x-p...ree-nasty-bugs/

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Hey Gang!Clouds is the achilles heel of XPX. Imrun into the same situation with my system, which runs on Nvidia. Scenery is no issue, even traffic is no issue but as soon as clouds appear or you fly close or through them, things go South quickly with performance. Seems to me like there is a great deal of room for improvement in the clouds department for LR to work on.Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Thanks all - Glen, I am using an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB, on a 27' iMac. Only concern for me right now are clouds. Thanks for the link!Bob

Gee, and I thought it was just my old 3Ghz E6850 C2D causing low frames! It's not good to hear others with newer systems have the same issue!! This didn't really become a big issue (at least for me) until they merged the 3 cloud settings into one. Using a tip at the time to turn one of them to zero, doubled my frames at the time, and still looked pretty good. I was all set to buy X-Plane 10 then, but then those setting options were consolidated into one, and I haven't been able to get decent performance since, even if I set it zero, so I had to hold off XP10.

Edited by tf51d

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

This didn't really become a big issue (at least for me) until they merged the 3 cloud settings into one. Using a tip at the time to turn one of them to zero, doubled my frames at the time, and still looked pretty good. I was all set to buy X-Plane 10 then, but then those setting options were consolidated into one, and I haven't been able to get decent performance since, even if I set it zero, so I had to hold off XP10.
+1. I didn't have an issue with clouds either until the three sliders were merged to one, and they looked just fine before at all levels of flight. Now, it's a struggle to use any reasonable amount of cloud.Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I started flying with clouds set to 5% (and weather set to scattered clouds) and it still looks good and I get the benefit of a good boost to FPS.

In the (latest) demo I had to drop clouds down to 5-10% to get anything like a half-decent performance.It was downloaded wx in the Seattle area a couple of hours ago, and I have a pretty powerful beast of a PC so it was a surprise to see a slideshow.

In the (latest) demo I had to drop clouds down to 5-10% to get anything like a half-decent performance.It was downloaded wx in the Seattle area a couple of hours ago, and I have a pretty powerful beast of a PC so it was a surprise to see a slideshow.
It's beginning to sound more like a bug, then a design limit issue. Hopefully Austin and company will be able to fix it!!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Same here - as soon as it was all dumped to one slider, the slideshow began. With low overcast, while taking off, it seems the plane is limping down the runway.