Sign in to follow this  
Pilots Report

777 EFB

In an industry where they nitpick about grams instead of kilo's.... It matters.
I agree I would rather have ACARS than a EFB it would be more useful for people who fly on VATSIM and some towers are starting to use the PDC for clearances which cuts down on unnecssary traffic on the airwaves when it gets busy.

I agree I would rather have ACARS than a EFB it would be more useful for people who fly on VATSIM and some towers are starting to use the PDC for clearances which cuts down on unnecssary traffic on the airwaves when it gets busy.
VATSIM controllers are using PDCs? Which ones and which facilities?

ACARS would be useful online with "real" ATC

I know EFB would be more useful for my flight planning and runway/taxiway navigation than ACARS would. ACARS is more of a company thing.If you want a 'useful' ACARS it will have to 'talk to' the weather simulation you are using.And since FSX doesn't simulate maintenance (I don't really see pilots hanging around for maintenance to be completed, that is a LAME's job, and yes the LAMEs can move the aircraft without pilots), I don't see why you would want ACARS?How useful would ACARS be?Not bagging here, just want some reasons how ACARS would be useful.
vasFMC contains an ACARS module that can pull Metars out of the big internet cloud that seem to more or less match what ActiveSky whips up. It can also pull routes off vRoute.You could also use it to simulate sending position reports and such back to dispatch, but without someone on the other side that's less exciting / useful.

VATSIM controllers are using PDCs? Which ones and which facilities?
EGLL has it up the most but I have seen it available for Vatsim events and Shanwick/Gander Oceanic have had it up.... I only have one full screen so it would be cool to have the message received/sent line show up on the EICAS when a message comes in/out.

ACARS would be useful online with "real" ATC
Ahh now you are talking. REAL ATC aka 'VATSIM', yes if that can be linked up. But is PMDG going to do that????Anyhow I still want my EFB and flight cameras.

EFB, EK do have EFB's but not the Boeing one.. The Boeing EFB is not powerfull enough to run the Lido Route Manual which EK use (from Lufthansa Systems) so EK have the Goodrich class II EFB (the same as Lufthansa)

With regards to the people asking how useful ACARS would be... check out www.hoppie.nl/acars its being used day in day out on vatsim. weight and balance, takeoff perf, landing perf, enroute weather, full CPDLC, PDC, ADS C

What would be nice is if PMDG supported wind uplinks.

For those wanting a 744 check out www.aerowinx.de that will beat anything hands down.. and I am a fan of PMDG but that really seperates the toys from the real deal!

As Ryan said the EFB was kinda superseded by datalink delivery of performance data. So, I think that a good implementation of ACARS would add much more realism to the sim.

Freddy

+1

To say the EFB has been superseded by ACARS is just not correct.

If you want a good read go on Lufthansa Systems website.

EFB - Electronic Route Manual, Takeoff and Landing Perfomance, Electronic aircraft manuals, electronic tech log, electronic MEL, electronic operations manual, airport moving map.

Lots and lots of functions - Lufthansa saved over 1 million sheets of printed paper when we launched the electronic route manual alone, the cost savings are huge.

Datalink is expensive and not covers one aspect, the future will see us having our EFB's with inflight connectivity to get updated information inflight.

Actually inflight EFB connectivity is a reality today - we have it on a few of the LR aircraft using the Internet from the passenger cabin.

EFB, EK do have EFB's but not the Boeing one.. The Boeing EFB is not powerfull enough to run the Lido Route Manual which EK use (from Lufthansa Systems) so EK have the Goodrich class II EFB (the same as Lufthansa)

I don't know about that though. I've been on two separate EK 777 flightdecks and the Boeing Class III EFB was up and running on both airplanes. An EK first officer told me about EK using the Lido route manual instead of Jeppessen's but he made no mention of it being on another type hardware other than than Boeing class III

Couldn't agree more. We at saudi arabian airlines we have een useing the 777 since 1997 and never used the EFB and we have resived the the first two 777-300 in our fleet and I think there is no EFB. Ill check once I see the baby on the ground ! :Love:

I can Imagine your excitement at the thought of seeing one of those -300ERs on ground. I wish I worked so close to them

For those wanting a 744 check out www.aerowinx.de that will beat anything hands down.. and I am a fan of PMDG but that really seperates the toys from the real deal!

We'll see about that...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

so, there are 2 post about the EFB and PMDG had not say if the 777 will come with the EFB as none had ask if it will or not, so i will ask, will the 777 come with a Electronc Flight Bag? There is Topcat and the 777 FMS to use for Performance Calculation, Aivlasoft and some others for EFB. So you decide.

Will the electrical system be simulated in the 777? As in if can we pull the CB's and expect to get the correct response?