Sign in to follow this  
Pilots Report

777 EFB

Personally I think the EFB and the Camera screens are a waste of time, I know how to get around an airport with charts and have no problem taxiing around with no fancy camera's, been doing it for years with no problems.

I guess it's a bit like EGPWS and EFIS being a waste of time :Monkey:

Hah my thoughts exactly, along with VSD and HGS was just a waste of time in the NGX.....

Hah my thoughts exactly, along with VSD and HGS was just a waste of time in the NGX.....

Oh please enough with the drama, comparing these items to camera's that help you taxi and an EFB are completely different, if one is so dopey he needs a camera to help him out in a simulator please just turn crash detection off.

Actually it is much harder to taxi the simulator than the real aircraft. You have very limited depth perception in the simulator along with a limited field of vision compared to the real aircraft.

Oh please enough with the drama, comparing these items to camera's that help you taxi and an EFB are completely different, if one is so dopey he needs a camera to help him out in a simulator please just turn crash detection off.

So, just because you are so awesome that you don't need/want some realistic feature, other people aren't even allowed to ask for it?

Some people like to have the maximum in realism, which includes not leaving the flight deck to have a look outside..

VSD, EICAS, fail-op autopilots, HGS,.. Are all optional extras, maybe they shouldn't have included those in the NGX either, because they're not even needed per regulations? Which would've rendered the NGX "just" an other addon.

PMDG live for these little details, it's what they do, so don't go patronising someone who suggest something that has a distinct chance of making it in, if it's possible at all, please...

Live and let live...

EFB (which can be a very handy tool) and camera views are options.

The NGX is full of options and if PMDG were to follow what some people think are a waste of time... I would hate to see the result. This is much of what seperates PMDG from it's competition.

You can say the same thing for the HGS, "if one is so dopey he needs a heads up to help him out in a simulator please just turn crash detection off." as a excuse as to why all that development time that went into HGS was a waste.

Personally I don't need the cameras for taxi, I don't need EFB for charts and performance data, I don't need HGS for arrivals/departures, I don't need EGPWS for visual ground proximity warning.. Hell I don't need LNAV to get to where I want to go. They're real life aids that are fitted or optioned to the aircraft and it is nice to have them.

i'll stop asking if it will have x or y, at the end PMDG takes the decision and as ever will be the best. I'll wait for the finished product and kill my anxiety with the ngx, kill yours with whatever you wnat. or not.

Figured this thread was where my question belongs.

Take a look at these two pictures. Both are from Ship 7102 / N702DN - a Delta 777-200LR. In the first one, taken in 2008, we see the EFB. In the second, taken last month, the EFB appears to be removed.

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6221409&nseq=9

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7445836&nseq=0

Assuming the picture labels are accurate, anyone have a clue as to why? Did DAL remove these from all a/c? I saw where Ryan said above

I know 100% for a fact that United, Delta and American's 777's do not have the EFB. (every US operator of the airplane) I've spoken to several pilots at overseas airlines as well who say they don't even use them when they are there anyway. They've been supplanted by performance data coming in from dispatch through the datalink and by iPads and such that pilots are starting to carry with them in the cockpit. It's a very expensive option that doesn't add much that airlines don't already do through other means.

There was a reply referencing a DAL memo stating that the carrier was planning on retrofitting all 777s with an EFB. These pics seem to indicate the opposite - that DAL is removing them, likely in part to the reasons Ryan alluded above.

Anyone have an insight on these pics?

Regards,

William Ezzell

Now this is just guessing, but isn't it possible in pic 2 the EFB is just covered with a protective bit of plastic?

It does look like it could be removed judging by the metal-looking thing on it, so maybe the EFB is under that and it's covered while parked?

Just a theory, as I said above I don't actually know I'm just guessing.

Certainly possible. It crossed my mind but I got so sidetracked on this thread I guess I should have given it more thought. In all likelihood, that's probably it given the metal latch thing you mention. Thanks Johan

if you go to a famous Aviation website, that has Airliners in the web adress, and the thingy is a "net" , and type in N78013 "cockpit shots/flight decks" its an Ex CO bird(now with UA), a 777-200ER, and, to be fiar, it looks like that has an EFB....

In all honesty the EFB on the 777 is completely rubbish and, in my company at least, largely ignored. Compared to current hardware (remember that this was designed in the nineties!) it is slow, cumbersome and unwieldey.

Most crews leave it turned off.

You can have a side screen which has access to the company maintainence and reporting system where the EFB should be. This replaces the screen behind the FO's seat on the right hand side of the cockpit.

Edited to add:

The 300 series have the cameras, one under the forward fuselage for the nose wheel and two in the tail leading edge for the main wheels, to 'help' with lining the wheels up for 180 degree turns, not for 'taxiing' per se. They are useful and generally the rule is that the non handler will have the cameras up but not the 'driver'. There is a black line painted on the over wing to show where the outside of the bogey is for narrow taxy ways/Carribean runway turns!

Hello!

We at FlightSim Solutions have just published our first application, 777 EFB, the world's most advanced EFB on iPad for flight sim enthusiasts.

You can check out our website at http://flightsimsolutions.ca for more information since I cannot post advertising here on the forums.

It includes a world traffic map with ATC (from VATSIM) using Navigraph data for routes drawn on the map, interactive non-normal procedures/checklists, and much more!

The app is truly revolutionary and is something that each 777 virtual pilot should have with them while flying!

Best regards,

Michael Shamash

FlightSim Solutions GP

Michael Shamash

FlightSim Solutions GP