Sign in to follow this  
Pilots Report

777 EFB

Really? Who? I doubt that statement. A T777 is worth roughly somewhere between 244-280 Millions, so why would it be such a big deal for an Airline to put in an EFB and Train it's Crew? None-EFB Widebody Jets may have been common years ago, but I highly doubt that to be the case now.
Huh? The difference between 245 and 280 million is 35 million dollars. That is 35 milllion dollars of additional profit required to break even - assume $100 profit per passenger, 700 passengers a day ~ 35,000,000 / (700 * 100) = 500 extra days flying before making a net profit.Increase your profit per passenger to $200, or move 1,400 passengers a day and now it only takes 250 extra days flying before making a net profit.The converse of this is that if you reduce the cost of your aircraft by $35 million, you reduce your break even point by between six and eighteen months, depending on the route and occupancy. This is why if the airlines had their way, even wings would be an optional extra.

Don't forget that the EFB does quite a bit more than just show charts. E.g. it contains a performance calculator, and possibly checklists and manuals as well? I think it would be feasible for PMDG to replicate those functions, as well as move the configuration stuff that's in the FMC in the NGX to the EFB, without replicating the chart display features.When considering the cost of adding EFBs to a plane for an airline, don't forget the cost of the extra training required for the pilots and the extra maintenance costs (e.g. updating the charts every AIRAC cycle and fixing it when it breaks, which may not be often, but will be more often than paper charts).

The checklist is not a part of the EFB, its a part of the systems of the plane itself. As for PMDG creating a fictional version of the EFB ... I cant see that happening. I think that if they did create an EFB it would be very similar to the real life version

Really? Who? I doubt that statement. A T777 is worth roughly somewhere between 244-280 Millions, so why would it be such a big deal for an Airline to put in an EFB and Train it's Crew? None-EFB Widebody Jets may have been common years ago, but I highly doubt that to be the case now.
Ron, you should do research before saying things like this. I know 100% for a fact that United, Delta and American's 777's do not have the EFB. (every US operator of the airplane) I've spoken to several pilots at overseas airlines as well who say they don't even use them when they are there anyway. They've been supplanted by performance data coming in from dispatch through the datalink and by iPads and such that pilots are starting to carry with them in the cockpit. It's a very expensive option that doesn't add much that airlines don't already do through other means.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ron, you should do research before saying things like this. I know 100% for a fact that United, Delta and American's 777's do not have the EFB. (every US operator of the airplane) I've spoken to several pilots at overseas airlines as well who say they don't even use them when they are there anyway. They've been supplanted by performance data coming in from dispatch through the datalink and by iPads and such that pilots are starting to carry with them in the cockpit. It's a very expensive option that doesn't add much that airlines don't already do through other means.
Not only is it expensive, but it unnecessarily adds weight to the aircraft - far more than what an iPad weighs at least, with all of the wiring and whatnot.

Not only is it expensive, but it unnecessarily adds weight to the aircraft - far more than what an iPad weighs at least, with all of the wiring and whatnot.
adds weight to the aircraft didnt know that efbs were that heavy

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Guest dlrk
So, you wont modelling it?

You need a external GPS source for iPad and it's definitely less convenient than an EFB. In real world EFB (as well as iPad) makes viewing charts and calculating performance data much easier and more efficient. Although it is not a necessity but that sometimes worth it. Anyway, we don't need an EFB in flight sim since that is neither practical nor possible for now.

I now Air Canada use Boinges EFB onbord B777-200LR and 300ER. Soo some company use them..Steinar GrindsteinNorway Edited by Steinar Grindstein

adds weight to the aircraft didnt know that efbs were that heavy
In an industry where they nitpick about grams instead of kilo's.... It matters.

As Ryan said the EFB was kinda superseded by datalink delivery of performance data. So, I think that a good implementation of ACARS would add much more realism to the sim.Freddy

Frankly Avilasoft just needs to make a slick iPad/iPhone App with a network module working through Simconnect on the FSX computer. Then you would have the real deal. With a SDK from PMDG the possibilities are endless.
YES and YES..........I use FSKneeboard when I fly stateside and it has interactive checklist's

Personally I would much rather see the efforts go into the taxi guidance camera system!!! How cool would it be to pull up the taxi cams of the front wheel and rear gear as you taxi out!Incidentally, CO does use the EFB's on some of their 777's so some of the UA birds technically do have them but I think they will be all I-Pad on the flightdeck soon enough...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

If they were to make it, i think they would make it as an extension pack...it would take too long for them to build it up for the initial release,and if PMDG know the public, they know that they want to release that 777 as soon as they can.I would prefer to wait 1 year and have a flying 777 then wait 1 further year for an EFB,rather than wait 2 years with a Fully modeled EFB in the 777

Personally I would much rather see the efforts go into the taxi guidance camera system!!! How cool would it be to pull up the taxi cams of the front wheel and rear gear as you taxi out!Incidentally, CO does use the EFB's on some of their 777's so some of the UA birds technically do have them but I think they will be all I-Pad on the flightdeck soon enough...
The problem with the cameras is that probably the only way to do it is creating a new view inside the gauge. I don't know you but every time create a new small view the FPS drops a lot, so i don't thing it's a good idea.