Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Why no cockpit on Mustang?

Anyone else find it strange that a cockpit for the DLC Mustang isn't going to be available? It's not like there would be much to model as it is a pretty sparse panel-- so that can't be it I wouldn't think.My guesses...1. MS is testing the Mustang as a DLC option to include cockpits. So you would buy the Mustang and later buy a cockpit. Cha-Ching.2. MS is afraid that people will crash the higher performance Mustang and become frustrated so they gave an outside view that would be more forgiving.

HelloIt is for those who prefer to fly from the outside view, apparently MS feel that there are many who only like to fly like this.

Cockpits are probably too complicated for Microsoft's target audience.

3. Wasn't finished yet (?) it has happened before with FSX addonsAlthough I think #1, as in focus testing an idea, makes some sense :smile:Making any 3D VC is a massive amount of work but I think everyone, even the most casual user, appreciates having an interior.

HelloIt is for those who prefer to fly from the outside view, apparently MS feel that there are many who only like to fly like this.
Most likely correct. In racing games for instance, I like to drive from within a realistic interior, but I note that the vast majority prefer the view from a 3rd person perspective. In flight-sims in particular, explaining to new people that the viewpoint they are seeing is intended to be from the perspective of one actually inside the plane is surprisingly difficult.People veer in confusion all over the place unable to locate "themselves" in 3 dimensional space, then give up in high frustration, making an "Insta-decision" that flight Sims are not for them.You will likely never get that person back once their first instant impression is set in stone, so MS is probably wise to include options for easing the way as much as possible for newbies. It seems to me that they are keeping to their stated intent to appeal to the widest possible audience.I myself would like to see the cockpit though, whatever the reason for its omission turns out to be. Edited by HiFlyer'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3.) Testing to see if gamers will purchase a Basic aircraft (as in no-cockpit version).There will likely also be a Deluxe version of the Mustang for 900 to 1200 MS points ($11 to $15), available in the very near future.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

3.) Testing to see if gamers will purchase a Basic aircraft (as in no-cockpit version).There will likely also be a Deluxe version of the Mustang for 900 to 1200 MS points ($11 to $15), available in the very near future.
Arwen,So what you're saying is that initially, the Mustang cost 640 MS 'Points' ($8.00 USD) without a cockpit, and the 'Deluxe' version is another 900 to 1200 Points ($11-15.00 USD).Hmmm... is that for the pieces parts to 'complete' the airplane, or do you get a complete package for that price, replacing the 'Lite' version? Sounds vaguely like the 'Freemium 757'...Why not just sell the entire aircraft? Why charge someone for an incomplete version then turn right around and sell the complete package to that same person again? :( Edited by ViperPilot

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I'm saying that there will likely be two versions of some aircraft (if the Basic version of the Mustang attracts enough buyers). I'm not sure what MS has in mind for someone who bought the Basic version and later decides that they want the Deluxe version (I'm guessing that they would have to pay full price for the Deluxe version ... but that is a total guess).I do not like this option, as I'm concerned that too many new users are not going to understand that the basic version isn't really a complete aircraft (from a flightsim point of view). This is just going to confuse things.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I do not like this option, as I'm concerned that too many new users are not going to understand that the basic version isn't really a complete aircraft (from a flightsim point of view). This is just going to confuse things.
Hello ArwenThe Mustang will outsell everything else because of its price, cheap always sells especially to those with no real commitment to the game, just look at Abacus.The problem is that it will not confuse things, but that it will clarify to MS that the market prefers that type of DLC.MS have already said they will produce what the market wants so expect more of this type of DLC for the Xbox controller guys.This aircraft is there to test the direction the market prefers.

I'm saying that there will likely be two versions of some aircraft (if the Basic version of the Mustang attracts enough buyers). I'm not sure what MS has in mind for someone who bought the Basic version and later decides that they want the Deluxe version (I'm guessing that they would have to pay full price for the Deluxe version ... but that is a total guess).I do not like this option, as I'm concerned that too many new users are not going to understand that the basic version isn't really a complete aircraft (from a flightsim point of view). This is just going to confuse things.
Confuse things? They should just put out a COMPLETE airplane at one price; no 'lite' version, with everything the airplane should have... like a functioning cockpit!Rolling%20Eyes.gif

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Confuse things? They should just put out a COMPLETE airplane at one price; no 'lite' version, with everything the airplane should have... like a functioning cockpit!
HelloThe Xbox controller guys prefer to fly from chase view though, if this outsells the complete aircraft that are available on launch day, expect more of the same.

HelloThe Xbox controller guys prefer to fly from chase view though, if this outsells the complete aircraft that are available on launch day, expect more of the same.
Sadly... I bet the P51 outsells the others by about 10 to 1...

Sadly... I bet the P51 outsells the others by about 10 to 1...
HelloThat is my worry too, and if it does it will set the direction that the MS Flight team take with future DLC.

Probably big part of Flights target audience has flown a lot from outside view in games like GTA San Andreas and Just Cause 2, so it should not be a problem to them. JC2 is actually really nice game, but would like to have VC view in any simulator.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.