Sign in to follow this  
Alec

This feature alone makes FSX look like a toy compared to P3D

Here is soomething John from Lockheed Martin wrote to someone asking about FDE."The specific third-party addons suggested work with Prepar3D. We also suggest the SDK to look at the Flight Model SDK and other environment variables to assist in determining the characteristics of the R-22 that you require. There is also a new feature included in SimConnect called "ExternalSim". This allows the internal flight model to be decoupled and an external flight model to be used to drive the simulator. This allows high fidelity flight models to be used instead of the ones that ship with Prepar3D. The neat thing is that rather than fight any real or perceived limitations with the shipped flight model, developers can create highly complex systems and flight models independently and incorporate them into the Prepar3D simulation framework. This has been a requirement here at Lockheed for various projects where we already have flight models, or need to develop others in scientific applications and port them over. Hope this helps."WoW!!!!! Imagine a flight model made from the ground up from PMDG, without any FS limitations.Man... I Wish lockheed made a consumer version of this

Alexis Mefano

Afaik (for instance) PMDG already does most of its stuff outside the regular FSX possibilities...? So it's not something new: the only difference is that there is a SimConnect thingy now that everyone can use so they won't have to figure it out themselves anymore. At least, that's what I understand from it...

Hello Guys,There is nothing new here and this is something you can do with fs9 or FSX, it has been done already. The idea that has been done by a pilot training school here in France consists in using only the visual of FSX. It means the flight dynamics is managed by their own simulator, which sends X,Y,Z position and P,B,H angles to FSX through FSUIPC. FSX then positions the aircraft correctly and displays the visual accordingly. FSX is used here but the flight dynamics are managed outside of FSX, without any FS limitation.Eric

Why do developers always complain about FS limitations as to why they couldn't make something like the real thing? Maybe it's too complex to develope a standalone flight model simulation?Just for ground handling an improved model would make FS outdated, if we could react with the ground surface in a realistic way. Add realistic turbulence, realistic turboprop reactions on the FDE, I don't see that in any FS addon I have tried. And I own PMDG 737NGX, which I think would be one of the best FDE for an airliner plane.

Alexis Mefano

And I own PMDG 737NGX, which I think would be one of the best FDE for an airliner plane.
Although it is a fantastic simulation, it still has it's limits due to the ESP code base limitations.

Never owned any A2A aircraft, do they use their own FDE model outside of FS?Ideally, FS should be a visual simulator, it's what it does best, and leave the FDE to the addon makers to make based on the real plane, every plane is so unique in it's own way that it's not possible to get a very accurate simulation with the same base model, like FS with Jet engines and turboprop, both wrong if the developers don't find a way to bypass the default code.

Alexis Mefano

Never owned any A2A aircraft, do they use their own FDE model outside of FS?
Based on Scotts (A2A) comment about, yes, A2A uses FSX just as graphical plattform (since the spitfire at least). Edited by guenseli

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HelloOleksiy Frolov will been doing this with his Dash-400, He also handles the sounds outside of the sim.He is using the JBSim flight engine. http://www.jsbsim.orgThis is one addon that I am really looking forward toohttps://picasaweb.google.com/113762737468298043314/Q400AlphaExterior?gsessionid=k4_QkMyQbuNUTYOG4rUdiwhttp://198.164.146.9...016b964d8#p7515

Edited by mad dog

HelloOleksiy Frolov will been doing this with his Dash-400, He also handles the sounds outside of the sim.He is using the JBSim flight engine. http://www.jsbsim.orgThis is one addon that I am really looking forward toohttps://picasaweb.go...QbuNUTYOG4rUdiwhttp://198.164.146.9...016b964d8#p7515
WoW!!! So cool, that's going to be amazing... WIsh they did a King Air like that, I love that plane

Alexis Mefano

Why do developers always complain about FS limitations as to why they couldn't make something like the real thing? Maybe it's too complex to develope a standalone flight model simulation?
I guess that's the point. You certainly need a lot of knowledge about aerodynamics and even then I think it's still a lot of work to get that into code for a custom FDE. That seems to exceed the capabilities of most add-on developers, so they stick with the FSX engine and tweak the air files as good as they can.

WoW!!! So cool, that's going to be amazing... WIsh they did a King Air like that, I love that plane
HelloDon't hold your breath waiting for it though, it has been in development longer than Radar Contact 5 and the Level-D 757.Oleksiy works at quite a leisurely pace to say the least.

Can anybody prove that A2A Simulations does their flight modeling the same way Majestic Software does theirs? I'd be highly interested in a simulation like that, outside of FS limitations

Edited by Alec

Alexis Mefano

Some guys from A2A were recently on FSBreak talking a little about how they make their addons. Very interesting stuff, so check it out.