Sign in to follow this  
adr179

FSrealWX lite - it keeps it's promises

It's strange I have both rex and as21012 but this free program here gives a better representation of overcast here .At least this is the impression I got !
That's exactly what I meant with first sentence of my first post :(

I must be doing something wrong... I type in the METAR KDLH (my home airport which has an AWOS station) and it says metar not found...Also it doesn't seem to be placing any weather in FSX.Nevermind - looks like I had a really old version...Still I think I've used this before and now I recall why I didn't continue. Programs like this read 10SM on the METAR and decode/display it as 10 miles... In the US 10SM usually means unlimited visibility.... but in-game its displayed as exactly that - 10 miles... argh!

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

In the US 10SM usually means unlimited visibility
Last I knew, CAVU meant unlimited, 10 miles meant 10 miles :-)

Jay

Last I knew, CAVU meant unlimited, 10 miles meant 10 miles :-)
Naw trust me I make an ATIS almost everyday at work.... 10SM is like a generic unlimited visibility entered in the ASOS - I don't think these stations are capable of reporting higher values... 10SM on our ATIS broadcast really means about 40 miles vis.... especially in the winter.... in the summer a bit less.Oops I see what you mean, yes CAVU does mean that in aviation terms... but our ASOS never reports it even when it's severe clear... The issue is, this program interprets 10SM as exactly 10 miles... and the vis is much much better than 10sm today... Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So everyone using this program never sees more than 10 mile visibility and you're happy with that?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

So everyone using this program never sees more than 10 mile visibility and you're happy with that?
I do fly a long time with that and i´ve never noticed that the visibility is limited to 10 NM.

Please notice everyone I made no reference to any other product or software and it was Mr. Who Knows Who that brought this up.

CAVU actually means Cloud and Visibility unlimited, not just visibility. So no clouds <10,000' AGL and >10SM visibility.

Edited by tutmeister

Seeing I haven't worked for anyone since LAST SEPTEMBER, you can go ahead and make any inferences you want. Just note that I will politely and respectfully call you out on each and every one of them.

I spend about 70% of my time in jets, and I have no problem seeing close to 100 miles or better in the flight levels. If there are no low level clouds I can also jump in my trusty Baron, climb out of KPBI and see the other Florida coast from around 5k MSL.... so no issues here unless the conditions restrict visibility. Edited by PIC007

Jay

I did 3-4 flights with it.It had excellent behavior, never crashing, and giving me always smooth changes at winds.However I never saw any clouds around me, which I considered rather unnatural, so I went back to REX-2.Why it never displayed any clouds?

I spend about 70% of my time in jets, and I have no problem seeing close to 100 miles or better in the flight levels. If there are no low level clouds I can also jump in my trusty Baron, climb out of KPBI and see the other Florida coast from around 5k MSL.... so no issues here unless the conditions restrict visibility.
It must be user error because all of my metars show 10SM and that's all I get for flight visibility.... never more.... I will clarify this is below the FL's.... I'm talking small airplane here, cruising below 100.... Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I did 3-4 flights with it.It had excellent behavior, never crashing, and giving me always smooth changes at winds.However I never saw any clouds around me, which I considered rather unnatural, so I went back to REX-2.Why it never displayed any clouds?
Could be some other of your weather setting within the sim or any other utility that influences/regulates weather display was preventing this.

Why it never displayed any clouds?
Check your settings, here is a shot inbound to KSFO using FSrealwx....

Jay