Sign in to follow this  
shmu40

Problems with my Gigabyte X79-UD3 Motherboard (I Think)

HiI have recently upgraded my system to a Gigabyte X79-UD3 Motherboard and now i have it running, not all that well i must add, i thought i would try and access the BIOS to look at over clocking, the problem i have encountered is that when windows starts to boot i press the del key but all i get on the screen is a heading saying gigabyte bios but below that, it is blank, what i expected to see was a 3d image of my mother board where i believe i could access certain features to change the settings. I have looked for clues in the manual but nothing, all it says is press the dell key and the picture they display in the manual is a 3d image of the motherboard, all i have is a blank blue screen apart from the header. I am wondering whether all the chip set drivers where install properly. Thanks Shaun

Page 51 of the manualFull Screen LOGO Show&&Allows you to determine whether to display the GIGABYTE Logo at system startup. Disabled skips the GIGABYTE Logo when the system starts up. (Default: Enabled)Get back to page 34To access the BIOS Setup program, press the <Delete> key during the POST when the power is turned on.

Hi Jan Thanks. Im in work at the moment but will have a look tonight. shaun

and now i have it running, not all that well i must add, i thought i would try and access the BIOS to look at over clocking
HelloThats the bit that worries me.Get it running really well with absolutely zero OS or hardware problems then look to overclock, any other way is a world of pain.By then your thermal paste will have started to cure, the components on the board will start to stabilise and you will have a feel for what the board is doing.There is no rush, just enjoy the stock performance while you work the glitches out.

Hi My problem is i think i keep expecting miricles when i upgrade, in this case i went from a Gigabyte X58 UD4 (I7 920 2.6) to a Gigabyte X79 UD3 I7 3930k (3.2) and i think i have gained nothing at all. I seem to have more stutters, frame rates are not much better, round about 30ish, when i read of people getting up towards a 100, how do they do it. Sometimes i feel like packing it all in. shaun

My problem is i think i keep expecting miricles when i upgrade
HelloThere is more to good performance than putting fast components in a box, spend some time tuning the OS and the sim, get those running as sweetly as possible, then you have a baseline to work from.The other aspect to performance is balance in the components,You have replaced the 920 with the 3930 which is a definite step up but your graphics card is now the bottleneck.A better all round strategy for a fast and balanced machine to run FSX would have been an i7 2700K and spending the difference on a GTX 580.And you would also have gained a better upgrade path.

Hi When i decided to go down this route i believed that spending more on the processor would have benefited me more, thinking my card was ok and FSX is CPU hungry i would have seen some kind of increase. So now from what you are saying that my graphics card is the bottle neck, so would it be better for me to overclock my CPU or upgrade my graphics card. Cheers Shaun

HelloOC the cpu once you have the machine sorted out properly, then wait for the 6 series Nvidia cards to arrive, two things will happen then1: they should be a lot faster than the 5 series2: the 580 will become cheaper.Wins all round

No CPU running at 3.2 GHz will give you great performance in FSX. You should be able to get that 3930 running in the mid 4GHz range with a few nearly trivial changes in the BIOS (and a good quality CPU cooler). THAT will make a big difference. Your GTX470 GPU will probably be pretty much maxxed out at ~3.8 GHz and above on that CPU. But I agree with mad dog's post above--wait for the Kepler video cards to upgrade (ETA April); a PCIe 3.0 680 could make a big difference (at least we're all hoping for that).

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case