Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

Where are you flying your JetProp

The flip side of high winds aloft is when you have to go against the wind. I originally planned to fly from Hoquaim to Ketchikan, Alaska this morning, but when I got to altitude and hit those high headwinds that gave me a ground speed of about 150 KIAS, I decided to turn around and go to Jackson Hole instead!When I got to KJAC, the airport was IFR with 1/4 mile visibility and snow and a 17 knot crosswind at RWY 19. Thank goodness that bliksimpie got the glideslope fixed on the G500!

Edited by Lifeguard911

Now imagine you had those 190 kts wind from the folks in that 400 knots club. Very close to flying backwards. :(

You might get a chance. Take a look at the current winds aloft maps for FL 24 and FL30. There are some 120 mph+ winds of the coast of the Alaska panhandle. I don't know if FS Real Weather will simulate winds that high.http://aviationweather.gov/adds/winds/

Edited by Lifeguard911

Nice site. Makes me think to head for Alaska again. I came from there, running the Classic 737 and things. Currently flying la France though, maybe heading towards the guys in Switzerland and Germany.

Edited by CoolP

.... Currently flying la France though, maybe heading towards the guys in Switzerland and Germany.
Did you take the time to take a look at LLH ´s products like Grenoble, Chambery or Annecy ... just to name a few? These are all great little addons showing that french flair.And also, when you are in germany, you have to touch down in EDDN Nuremberg .... the food and beer we have is maybe the best in the world and my house could be your hotel :( !

Yes, I have the smaller ones from them already. Very good and challenging! Maybe I'll head for Courchevel soon, this should work with the JetProp. I've ended up at Aix-le-Bains now. Thanks for the invitation. :(

As promised,I resumed my flight to Bornholm yesterday. Took off from Krakau EPKK climbing up to FL270.02.jpgOn my way to Danzig EPGD on service ceiling FL270:04.jpgPassegners took their time to look out of the window to get a great view over the polish landscape at a wonderfull light hazy day with scattered clouds:03.jpgFinally the weather in Danzig was very poor, had to come in on ILS 29 , snow and overcast at 600ft AGL.Now still some miles to go to Bornholm Island!Cheers!

Edited by andy1975

I took off from Hoquaim, Washington just before sunrise this morning, headed to Jackson Hole, Wyoming again. I wanted to take advantage of fast winds aloft. I was able to get a ground speed of over 300 knots.As the sun came up, the sunscreens went down in the cockpit. My co-pilot had to avert his eyes from the glare of the rising sun-2012-2-21_11-15-3-229.jpgBill
Stunning photo, that GS was awesome and then there are those complaining they cant get the thing past 173
As promised,I resumed my flight to Bornholm yesterday. Took off from Krakau EPKK climbing up to FL270.On my way to Danzig EPGD on service ceiling FL270:04.jpgPassegners took their time to look out of the window to get a great view over the polish landscape at a wonderfull light hazy day with scattered clouds:Finally the weather in Danzig was very poor, had to come in on ILS 29 , snow and overcast at 600ft AGL.Now still some miles to go to Bornholm Island!Cheers!
Another stunner..!
and waiting for my clearance (from my wife :( )
We can write books about that... oh so true..!! :( Edited by bliksimpie

Very nice shots up there. :( Adding mine from Courchevel LFLJ. That was a very short VFR trip from Aix-le-Bains LFLB, but the landing always is worth a try. Well, I've made it. :dance:Enroute with the extra info pointers.courchevel.th.jpgParked.courchevel2.th.jpg

I've left France and headed for Spain again. Means that Lyon Saint Exupéry LFLL gave me some fuel after the light Courchevel LFLJ load and then I went to LESU, a small VFR airport in the Pyrénées.Coming from Courchevel.fromlflj.th.jpgThe wingview at FL260 on my way to Spain. Pure JetProp regime, huh? Cruise settings gave me some 230 KTAS.tospain.th.jpgDescending towards the destination. Beautiful location.descentj.th.jpg

I've been flying up the east coast of Australia in stages, Camden (YSCN), Coffs Harbour (YSCH), Mackay (YBMK), Cairns (YBCS), Weipa (YBWP), Gove (YPGV), Darwin (YPDN). It wasn't my intention, but I think I'm going to circumavigate the country!Darwin approach...