Sign in to follow this  

No photgraphy of Delta Airplanes allowed...

Hi Robb,thanks for the compliment. As far as replying goes, I wouldn't be too hasty, if I was in your position - for a corporate response, the letter you got was quite remarkable in the way that your complaint wasn't just shrugged off with a standard response. Now that they're somewhat sympathetic (they do want your business, after all...), I think you should thank them and ask for your original film back (no need to mention the personal embarrassment just yet). The only way they can get the film is by asking the supervisor in question what she's done with it. Chances are, she doesn't have it anymore. All the better for you, as it forces Delta to provide you with an explanation as to what exactly happened - from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Bearing in mind they still love to see you as a customer, they're quite likely to concede some wrong-doing on their part (How else are they going to justify the absence of the film?). And that's where the fun starts - a few more letters down the line, you should have a pretty good case (and probably various incentives not to go ahead with it, such as flight vouchers etc...)Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thanks Gosta,Once again I appreciate your input and will write Delta again when I get a little time to sit down to do it. I won't send it until I have your mark of approval. I just hope I don't get a bill from you...LOLRobb

Hi Robb,>I just hope I don't get a bill from you...LOL:).Definitely take your time writing the response, and remember as long as you sound not too ######, they will believe they're dealing with an essentially happy customer with only a minor grievance, so they'll make an effort to keep you that way, and resolve the problem.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Similar situation for me at Heathrow. I was flying Virgin Atlantic to Newark, and since I was going to be flying an A340-600, I was asked by several people to take pictures. The gate was at the end of the concourse that day, and on the way I took various shots of the planes parked. When I got to the gate area, the plane wasn't there yet, so I tried to get a few pictures of the other Virgin planes there, especially since they sometimes have very funny things written on them ("More experience than our name suggests" is one). I was quickly pounced on by gate personnel who told me that there were no cameras allowed in the gate area. I still have the camera (a good thing since it's a rather expensive digital - not sure what I would have done if they had wanted it), and I have the pictures I took earlier, but they were watching me rather closely until I got on the plane. I'm not sure if it was legal for them to do it or not, not knowing England's legal codes, but there was no way I was going to push the issue with the immense amount of gate security they had around.No pictures of the -600, though. Quite a shame, it's a beautiful aircraft.xiphanopoulous

Guest Akflyin

I just returned from a trip to Orlando Florida from Anchorage Alaska on United Airlines. I passed thru Seattle and Denver on the way down and Chicago and back thru Seattle on the way back. I took Pictures at the Gates, in the Airports and even got some nice shots while Airborne. I didn't make any attempt to try and hid the fact that I was going to take pics and no disruption was encountered. Guess it depends who you encounterFly safeDG

"You Can't beat an original" titus 1928, I agree with you 100%, Does anybody remember Joseph MCCarthy? The war on iraq is scary because it gives Ashcroft an excuse to invade our privacy in the name of Homeland Security. Also this is just what the terrorists want. I would have asked to see thatladies supervisor and ask him what the policy is for myself. i Also would want that lady to get reprimanded for her actions. I would have taken her to court for Harassment And personal damages! You can't judge the Airline Company by one jackbooted employee. 707 P.s My sympathies for the loss of that mans lifemate :-(

I think that best thing to do is that as we live in a hysterica time when autorities are scared of their own shadows, ignore the inconvenience and just don't take pictures where people with suspicous minds could interpret your actions in a hostile manner.

I've never had any problems with taking pictures of planes in Birmingham, Houston, Tulsa, or Atlanta. I think Delta might owe you a round trip ticket.

I had a similar incident happen to me at Newark International last June. It did not happen with Delta but with a security guard at the airport. She told me to put my camara away.S

You are assuming that this lady's supervisor was a man....... :-)Chris Low,ENGLAND.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

xiphanopoulousBAAA (who are in charge of Heathrow) are not alowed to ask you to stop taking pictures of any aircaft without showing you writtain authority from either the Airport or the Airline in concern, however if they suspect (and must have good evidance) you of terrorism they could arrest and charge you under the terrorism act 2000.I can go into Glasgow Airport (also runby the BAA) and take as many photos as i wanted. Alistair Sloan

Hi Alistair,>BAA (who are in charge of Heathrow) are not alowed to ask you to stop taking pictures of any aircaft without showing you written authority from either the Airport or the Airline in concernhowever if they suspect (and must have good evidance) you of terrorism they could arrest and charge you under the terrorism act 2000.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi Gosta,In the case of Delta. As you know, they wrote me back saying that I had not done anything wrong. So, even if they do own the gate at DCA, what the Delta agent did was wrong. As far as a legal assessment of the statement you made above, I thought that only under certain conditions you could not refuse service. For example, if I owned a pub, I could no refuse service based on race, sex, religion, or whatever. Are you saying that I could refuse to serve somebody by simply saying NO without making reference to race, sex, or similar attributes? I still have not responded back to Delta after my last response from them. I am feeling a little hopeless about the situation now, as far as compensation, especially since they did not come out an say that the agent was in error but that neither was I.Robb

Hi Robb,with regards to Delta, as they have admitted they were wrong, or rather that they had no plicy forbidding taking photographs of Delta planes, you could argue that thus they waived any rights they may have had to impose such restrictions in this instance. At this point I would not ask for compensation (yet), simply ask for your film back, and see how they respond to that - basically you want to get as much in writing from them as possible. The best way to do this, is to be polite to them, thank them for writing back, and mention that the film contained some pictures of sentimental value, and if they could return it to you. See, what they say to that, and then take it from there...>For example, if I owned a pub, I could no refuse service based on race, sex, religion, or whatever. Are you saying that I could refuse to serve somebody by simply saying NO without making reference to race, sex, or similar attributes?http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hey Gosta, How does this sound?My NameMy AddressEmail addressDear (Name of Delta Representative),Thank you for acknowledging that Delta Airlines does not have an established policy prohibiting the photographing of its aircraft at the gate, and that the actions mentioned in my previous letter,therefore, were not considered an impropriety on my part. Because some of the photographs taken on the film confiscated from me by the Delta Airline's agent at the Washington Regan National Airport might one day be of sentimental value to me, may I please have my roll of film back.Sincerely,My name,