Sign in to follow this  
Muskoka

Big improvement with replacement clouds

Guys, I just tried out these replacement clouds http://maxx-xp.hikin...om/?page_id=147 and my frame rates have jumped from a low of 7-8 when almost in or around the default clouds, to a low of 18 in the same conditions with these replacements. If I was just "near" the clouds with the default, my fps would be in the mid teens, with these they stayed high 20's to low 30's. Not only that, they look just as good to me. I also downloaded the replacement sky, and I like the look, a little more blue. It better matches what I see out the window today.Just make sure to back up you originals first. The install is real easy, replace a few texture files, that's it. These replacements have allowed me to fly with real weather again, and what I would consider to be very high settings. Haven't tried with HDR on yet, next thing to try. A few screen shots....Glen

Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Looks promising! Ill give them a try later.Thanks for pointing these out.Rob

that sounds promising. I was already giving up on XPX again after experiencing as low as 5 fps in clouds with 40% setting on a 4 GHz 6core i7. still worries me that the XPX developer can not come up with a product that provides acceptable fps out of the box. going from 40 with NO down to 4 fps WITH clouds doesn't sound like efficient programming to me. using 6 cores at 4 GHz and the latest directx11, NVidia Gforce 470 accelerator and all I got is lousy 4-5 fps. not impressed. I will give this a try, thanks for sharing.

After looking at the texture files it appears they have just been reduced in size, cloud_puff0, 1, and 2 have been reduced from 1024 down to 512. Could probably just do that with the defaults. Anyways, the reduction works, that's all that matters at this point, and they still look nice. Might even try them at 256, that might be pushing it a little low though.Straight%20Face.gifGlen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

what I find disturbing is the fact that when you are in clouds and see the least scenery, fps drop most. with clever programming this should not have to be the case, only when in solid fog or zero visibility clouds do fps rise again. the software should detect that once in clouds those other "TONS of - melting your cpu" cloud puffs hidden by the front row could be discarded, thus saving fps. not?

Didn't really understand why X-plane 10 system requirements asks for:
Because thats what most cards are marketed with, and what users - and humble salesperson - can more easily "understand". And the text says it: "capable". For the devs, this ensures, that if people buy a card with DX capabilities of this evel, then the card can do that in OpenGL too.

I was just starting to warm to the demo when I tried real weather, and BOOM!... fps dropped like a brick. :(It almost feels like 2006 all over again (FSX launch)!Roads too kill my fps when above default.What's incredible is it's doing that on an i7@4Ghz with a GTX580 and 12Gb ram.This is a beta though so let's hope LR have a few tricks up their sleeve before they arrive at a RC version.Now if I could find a nice plane where the knobs worked with the mouse wheel like in FS I would be a little happier. :-/

what I find disturbing is the fact that when you are in clouds and see the least scenery, fps drop most. with clever programming this should not have to be the case, only when in solid fog or zero visibility clouds do fps rise again. the software should detect that once in clouds those other "TONS of - melting your cpu" cloud puffs hidden by the front row could be discarded, thus saving fps. not?
What I never understand is, why so many people think, that they are smarter than hardcore 3D developers working in the industry for many years and coding with this kind of technology since many generations of the simulator. Believe me: even though they are no gods, and are prone to errors / suboptimal decisions ... they still have a very good understanding of what is possible with 3D technology, and what might be the best approach in a given situation with goals set by the concept of their simulator (even if there are always obstacles, to achieve all that they want) ...And don't forget, programming 3D engines (and a simulator in general) means much more than what meets the eye ...

I hope this cloud issue is not a coding problem which has pushed the devs into a corner. In other words, is it a bad coding design, which at this stage the dev team might be looking at each other saying "uh oh".If true, it would sound quite a bit like FSX in certain aspects.Bob

Edited by N1G

When we discuss these problems with the clouds, do we mean in HDR, or in normal mode?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Normal mode for me, HDR is just too much of a performance hit. I have to turn too many things way down to use HDR. If my video card even sees a cloud it turns and runs. These replacements do help. You could just reduce the default cloud textures and get the same results. The author has tweaked these a bit I think, other than just a reduction in size.Glen

Edited by Muskoka

I suspect people will have to post their settings and what version of the beta they are using before any Xplane forum gurus will be able to offer help with possible cloud problems. The reduced texture clouds sound interesting, though.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

"What I never understand is, why so many people think, that they are smarter than hardcore 3D developers working in the industry for many years and coding with this kind of technology since many generations of the simulator."coding for many years alone does not automatically guarantee expertise in all graphics engine subjects. or take the flawed flight model. but all these "so many people" can still compare XPX with other products. just take a look at the Unigine demo to see what is possible on todays graphics hardware, you don't have to be a "hardcore 3D developer working in the industry for many years" to appreciate the superiority of the latest NVidia and ATI graphics demos:http://www.nvidia.com/object/cool_stuff.htmlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMgofmIQElEhttp://unigine.com/products/heaven/

Has there been any noise from the developers on this? It does not seem that this cloud issue is just affecting a specific hardware config, but is widespread. I don't know, I just think there should be some customer service to some degree.I don't own it, but I am keeping my eye on some of the threads.Bob