Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

OT: How to upload stuff to my FTP web account?

Guest Dominik Mann

I just got hold of 20 megs of free web space in order to store things like pictures (including banners ;) ) on a server. However, after fiddling with my router options as well as Internet Explorer, I still don't have any clue how I will be able to upload files to my web directory.Sorry for posting this question here, but could anybody tell me how to get started?Thanks!

Dominik,You need to download an FTP client. I have used WS_FTP LE (free) for years now, and have been quite happy.If the server space you have acquired comes in a "web site" type of package, you may also have a server side ftp utility that will upload your files, amongst other things, i.e. cpanel .One way or another, the entity that has provided you with the web space can instruct you on how to set up your FTP client, as there will be a specific address you will need to FTP them.Good luck,Roger

Guest GalacticCowboy

Roger already answered your question fairly well. However, one observation... most "free" services limit you in a number of ways. One of these is to prevent you from linking directly to images from off-site. This means that, if you've got a picture on your site that you use in your signature on message boards, the host COULD prevent the image from appearing or even delete your account... Read their terms of service carefully.

Guest Dominik Mann

Thank you both very much for your advice :D - I downloaded WS_FTP, and it seems to be working fine. As for your point, Kurtis, I just rechecked my host's terms, and there is no mention whatsoever of the linking of images being forbidden...so I guess this won't be a problem.Cheers,