Hi,I have two primary choices for graphics cards in mind at the moment.I can wait a few months and wait for Kepler to arrive so that the GTX580 prices come down.ORI can go ahead and get a GTX570.I know that many around here have said that the performance jump is quite small from a 570-->580.Is it worth the extra 120 bucks?

Guest jahman

And if you can wait, get Kepler. Think of it as getting so many million dollars worth of R&D for only a few bucks, and PCIe support to go with it (2x the BW of PCIe 2).Cheers,- jahman.

And if you can wait, get Kepler. Think of it as getting so many million dollars worth of R&D for only a few bucks, and PCIe support to go with it (2x the BW of PCIe 2).Cheers,- jahman.
As much of a PCIe3 fanatic and Tri-Gate fan I am, my mobo doesn't support PCIe3.
To me it is worth it, but if you can get a 570 GTX now, do it.Kind regards,
Alright, I think that it what I am going for. What is the best manufacturer?

Guest jahman
As much of a PCIe3 fanatic and Tri-Gate fan I am, my mobo doesn't support PCIe3.
But your new mobo with IB (and Tri-Gate! Tri-Gate!) will! :LMAO:Seriously, it all depends on resources: If you can get the 580 now and then get Kepler later, then by all means do so. But sometimes waiting a bit and getting the timing right can mean you get lasting (2+ years) state-of-the-art performance for less money. So me, I'm riding the IB Quad channel + PCIe 3 MB + Kepler trifecta.Cheers,- jahman.

So me, I'm riding the IB Quad channel + PCIe 3 MB + Kepler trifecta.
Horray!!!! :LMAO:

LOL, by the time IB-E is released, Haswell will be round the corner :biggrin:

Edited by dazz

Guest jahman
LOL, by the time IB-E is released, Haswell will be round the corner :biggrin:
IB is a die-shrink tock, plus Tri-Gate (10 years in development), plus PCIe3 all-in-one. That's a lost of new tech in one upgrade. But all Haswell will bring to the table is a tick of a new architecture. So IB is the moment to jump back in.Cheers,- jahman.

IB is a die-shrink tock, plus Tri-Gate (10 years in development), plus PCIe3 all-in-one. That's a lost of new tech in one upgrade. But all Haswell will bring to the table is a tick of a new architecture. So IB is the moment to jump back in.Cheers,- jahman.
No man, IB-E is not the tock, Haswell is (new architecture)IB-E is just the enthusiast version of IB, with more cores and memory channels, all useless for FSX"die-shrink - tock", both are mutually exclusive things, Intel uses ticks for die shrinks, tocks for architecture upgrades
"Tick-Tock" is a model, developed by Ashwani Gupta[citation needed] of Jones Farm 5 (Hillsboro, Oregon) and adopted by chip manufacturer Intel Corporation since 2007 to follow every microarchitectural change with a die shrink of the process technology. Every "tick" is a shrinking of process technology of the previous microarchitecture and every "tock" is a new microarchitecture.[1] Every year, there is expected to be one tick or tock.[1]

Guest jahman
No man, IB-E is not the tock, Haswell is (new architecture)IB-E is just the enthusiast version of IB, with more cores and memory channels, all useless for FSX"die-shrink - tock", both are mutually exclusive things, Intel uses ticks for die shrinks, tocks for architecture upgrades
OK, so I got the tick vs. tock inverted. I still did correctly point out IB is the die shrink and Haswell will be the new architecture, and that's what really counts.Cheers,- jahman.

Well, so far tocks have brought nice performance boosts consistently (See Nehalem - Sandy Bridge) while ticks just a few MHzs. Tri-Gate & PCIe 3.0 remain to be seen.Anyway my point is that if I were you, I would not wait for the IB-E "trifecta" when a new architecture with everything IB brought (an probably better, more polished Tri-Gate + 22nm process) will be due in a few months.To each his own, but for me it's clearly either IB or Haswell

Well, so far tocks have brought nice performance boosts consistently (See Nehalem - Sandy Bridge) while ticks just a few MHzs. Tri-Gate & PCIe 3.0 remain to be seen.Anyway my point is that if I were you, I would not wait for the IB-E "trifecta" when a new architecture with everything IB brought (an probably better, more polished Tri-Gate + 22nm process) will be due in a few months.To each his own, but for me it's clearly either IB or Haswell
I think that the performance jump from a SB to Haswell will likely be somewhere along the lines of 30+%.

Guest jahman
I would not wait for the IB-E
As CPU performance increases, constant-speed DDR3 will become the bottleneck, which is why I'm betting quad-channel very well might provide added perfromance for FSX with IB-E (while barely providing a performance increase, if any, with SB-E.)BTW, CPU performance increases are also behind the development of DDR4 "TBA in 2015" (with 2x the BW of DDR3: 2133–4266 MT/s vs. DDR3's 800–2133). DDR3, like PCIe 2, are standards that have been with us for far too long and are due for an update.Cheers,- jahman.

As CPU performance increases, constant-speed DDR3 will become the bottleneck, which is why I'm betting quad-channel very well might provide added perfromance for FSX with IB-E (while barely providing a performance increase, if any, with SB-E.)BTW, CPU performance increases are also behind the development of DDR4 "TBA in 2015" (with 2x the BW of DDR3: 2133–4266 MT/s vs. DDR3's 800–2133). DDR3, like PCIe 2, are standards that have been with us for far too long and are due for an update.Cheers,- jahman.
Maybe we should wait for Skymont then! :Big Grin:

Guest jahman
Maybe we should wait for Skymont then! :Big Grin:
OK, but you need to change your sig!Cheers,- jahman.