Sign in to follow this  
Reason

out of the blue, my E: drive is full

I didn't do anything related to my windows 7 system. I just installed silent hunter 4 and its addons, it takes only 20GB. Yesterday the drive had 75GB free space but when I turned on my comp this morning, the red stripe is nearly full. I never had this before, I run Ccleaner, defragmenter, virus scanner but no avail. My fs9 files which I have compiled for many many years are all in that drive. Help me out here please, I can't afford losing all my add ons and tweaks there.My spec500GB SATAGEforce 9800 GT4GB Gskill ramX2 250 3.0 ghzWindows 7 ultimateKind regards,

Edited by Coltrane

I would recommend buying an external hard drive to back up your addons.Get something like this.

I didn't do anything related to my windows 7 system. I just installed silent hunter 4 and its addons, it takes only 20GB. Yesterday the drive had 75GB free space but when I turned on my comp this morning, the red stripe is nearly full. I never had this before, I run Ccleaner, defragmenter, virus scanner but no avail. My fs9 files which I have compiled for many many years are all in that drive. Help me out here please, I can't afford losing all my add ons and tweaks there.My spec500GB SATAGEforce 9800 GT4GB Gskill ramX2 250 3.0 ghzWindows 7 ultimateKind regards,
Just a thought. Running any mechanical drive near full kills performance. I never let any of my five 1TB drives get over 20% used.In the mean time, Windows "gauging" of the HDD isn't always accurate. A restart usually shows something closer to reality. In other words, it ain't lying. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I would recommend buying an external hard drive to back up your addons.Get something like this.
I was planning to get one to backup all my files but $89 it's a bit too much at the moment, i can get a new pmdg product with that amount LOL, but yes im saving for it.
Just a thought. Running any mechanical drive near full kills performance. I never let any of my five 1TB drives get over 20% used.In the mean time, Windows "gauging" of the HDD isn't always accurate. A restart usually shows something closer to reality. In other words, it ain't lying.
wilco.so, you have 1000 GB and you only use 200GB of it?I have 3 drives, C is for my OS, D is for FS9 itself and E is for files. Im thinking to re format my E; any advice how many drives will be better for performance, cause I still can't find the culprit, thanx (my virus scanner is still running thou but so far no threats detected)

Guest jahman

Use the Tree Size freeware utility to find large pools of disk space you could free-up by backing-up (to DVD, if an external HDD is too expensive) or deleting.Cheers,- jahman.

I had the same experience with my 60Gb ssd C drive on my FSX pc. All that is on it is W7 and a few other things. I figured it shouldn't show more than 20-22Gb used and yet it was indicating 50Gb used. I am not particularly tech savy, but I knew something was weird. O&O Drefarg showed large blocks of space were used for System Volume Info(system restore) and System Backup. Turns out that *System Restore* and *System Backup* were the culprits, so I turned both off and deleted all of the prior restore and backup dates. Now all three of my drives are showing reasonable free space. Nick Needham recommended turning them off in his setup guide, but I didn't do it. I guess I'll buy an external HD for the back up. That Tree Size utility works great! It confirmed what I thought was the problem.